Ronnie Foster: Reboot

CJ Shearn

Has anyone heard it? It's pretty good, I'm streaming until I can get the CD.  Probably will review, but it's the best Blue Note I've heard from him besides Live At Montreux because there's no commercial pretense here, it's just Ronnie being Ronnie without the need to cater to capitalistic concerns like his 70's stuff.  I think for many, YMMV, and may not to be to taste like the last two Dr. Lonnie albums on BN but I enjoyed this one.

4 hours ago, CJ Shearn said:

I kind of like it but his daughter designed it apparently. I guess for recent BN covers Melissa Aldana's and Gerald Clayton's are more interesting

Interesting- seems more 1982 than anything.  Not super-impressed with those either.  How about something with photos of the artists?  Sincerely, Grumpy Old Man

9 hours ago, Eric said:

Interesting- seems more 1982 than anything.  Not super-impressed with those either.  How about something with photos of the artists?  Sincerely, Grumpy Old Man

Haha. Well retro is in for millennials, my generation though I was born in 1981 but I agree a lot of recent Blue Note covers are nondescript but at the same time, I think we have to move on since the Reid Miles era... that said, the last iconic Blue Note cover of the last 40 years for me is One Night With Blue Note Preserved 

On 7/17/2022 at 6:20 AM, Eric said:

Too bad the album cover is completely unimaginative.  

I kind of like it but his daughter designed it apparently. I guess for recent BN covers Melissa Aldana's and Gerald Clayton's are more interesting

6 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I like this Joe Ross cd cover. Seems a tribute to his mother, heartfelt, doesn't even have his own name on the cover. The emotion reaches me.

4_Joel-Ross-800x800.jpg

Very much enjoy the music as well.

Agree, this is a very nice one.

On 7/18/2022 at 4:33 PM, Eric said:

Agree, this is a very nice one.

I gotta stream that and his latest. Joel Ross is a beast

On 7/18/2022 at 0:21 AM, Eric said:

Haha. Well retro is in for millennials, my generation though I was born in 1981 but I agree a lot of recent Blue Note covers are nondescript but at the same time, I think we have to move on since the Reid Miles era... that said, the last iconic Blue Note cover of the last 40 years for me is One Night With Blue Note Preserved 

On 7/17/2022 at 6:20 AM, Eric said:

Too bad the album cover is completely unimaginative.