Abdul Wadud - By Myself LP Reissue

colinmce

1 hour ago, colinmce said:

Great, great news. This is the same label that did the excellent Black Unity Trio reissue a couple years back.

https://www.gottagroovestore.com/product/abdul-wadud-by-myself/

Oh hell yes!

Now if we could just get Abdul Al-Hannan's The Third World ....

Orange Fish Tears by Baikida Carroll too, please.

Edited by Rabshakeh

Nice! Pulled an original from the bins in a long-gone East Village record store over 20 years ago and was floored by it. Great record deserving of wider hearing.

The Abdul-Hannan is cool but is unlikely to see a proper reissue (it's been tried).

I would imagine that the Carroll will get the Soufflé Continu treatment as part of the Palm catalog. 

46 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Nice! Pulled an original from the bins in a long-gone East Village record store over 20 years ago and was floored by it. Great record deserving of wider hearing.

The Abdul-Hannan is cool but is unlikely to see a proper reissue (it's been tried).

I would imagine that the Carroll will get the Soufflé Continu treatment as part of the Palm catalog. 

I’ve been wondering this myself but the lack of it so far— or the Khan Jamal & Byard Lancaster titles— had me wondering if these were somehow not in the scope of the series, or if there were rights issues. Would love to see that happen if it’s possible. 

7 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Seeing reports of bad news that Abdul Wadud may have passed away yesterday.

Well, that would be sad if true.

He was the kind of guy who's on all kinds of records that youforget he's on...there were just SO many, and they were pretty much all good to great.

The first time I heard Wadud was on Julius Hemphill's Dogon A.D. I was around 25. That sound became permanently etched in my memory.

If I remember correctly, there was a time, after leaving Oberlin, that Wadud took a fair number of classical gigs—and still went by Ron DeVaughn. Abdul Wadud for improvised music, but his birthname for the tux work.

“Yeah, some people didn’t even know that I was doing that [using both names]. Even to the days where I was doing Broadway and studio recordings and R&B shows [when I] came into New York and what have you. I was doing my avant-garde career simultaneously and people didn’t know that I was doing that. A couple of my peers would say ... Warren Smith, the percussionist, he came up and he said, ‘I keep hearing about this Abdul Wadud guy playing cello’–because I was using Ron DeVaughn during the classical stuff. He said, ‘Do you know this guy Abdul Wadud?’ I said, ‘Yeah, that’s me.’ He said, ‘Oh no man, that ain’t you.’ I said, ‘Yeah it is.’ It’s funny, I had a student when I was teaching and he said, ‘Can you teach me how to play like that Abdul Wadud?’ I said, ‘I am Abdul Wadud.’ He said, ‘No you’re not.’ I said, ‘Yes I am.’ I had to pull out these albums and what not to show him. He started laughing. He said, ‘Why are you teaching me classical style? I want to learn how to do the other stuff.’ I said, ‘Well, you can do both.’

— Abdul Wadud

• 3 months later...
On 8/13/2022 at 3:51 PM, Late said:

“Yeah, some people didn’t even know that I was doing that [using both names]. Even to the days where I was doing Broadway and studio recordings and R&B shows [when I] came into New York and what have you. I was doing my avant-garde career simultaneously and people didn’t know that I was doing that. A couple of my peers would say ... Warren Smith, the percussionist, he came up and he said, ‘I keep hearing about this Abdul Wadud guy playing cello’–because I was using Ron DeVaughn during the classical stuff. He said, ‘Do you know this guy Abdul Wadud?’ I said, ‘Yeah, that’s me.’ He said, ‘Oh no man, that ain’t you.’ I said, ‘Yeah it is.’ It’s funny, I had a student when I was teaching and he said, ‘Can you teach me how to play like that Abdul Wadud?’ I said, ‘I am Abdul Wadud.’ He said, ‘No you’re not.’ I said, ‘Yes I am.’ I had to pull out these albums and what not to show him. He started laughing. He said, ‘Why are you teaching me classical style? I want to learn how to do the other stuff.’ I said, ‘Well, you can do both.’

— Abdul Wadud

That's a fantastic story.  A sort of double name/double life.  I had no idea. 

Thanks for sharing it, Late.  :tup

I'm also interested in the reissue... if anyone has any new news.  

Edited by HutchFan

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...