Stereo Jack’s relocating under new ownership

Mark Stryker

14 minutes ago, Mark Stryker said:

I lived in Boston for ten years, and worked in Harvard Square for much of that time.  I used to try to swing by once a week.  I would often leave with an armload of LPs for $25 or less.  Just seeing the storefront in the piece linked above triggered a Pavlovian reaction.  I still have dreams about that place.  The dreams often include a secret back room where I could look at stock before it hit the bins.  

When I would bring albums home back in the day, I would typically peel off the price stickers, a move I came to regret, as stores have gone out of business.  I still have a few albums with Stereo Jack's dollar price stickers, and I'm glad that I left them intact.   

Overall, I would rank Stereo Jack's as my favorite record store of all time, with Princeton Record Exchange being second.  My rankings have an east-coast US bias, based on places I've lived.

Jack, I don't know if you still post here, but congratulations on your retirement, and thanks for all the great music over the years!

Now the big question:  What happened to that sitar LP of 60s pop music that was perpetually at the front desk?  I tried to buy it on multiple occasions, and was always told it wasn't for sale.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

• 9 months later...

Since a reopening after the worst of Covid, owner Jack Woker said business has never been better – the draw for vintage vinyl is at a remarkable peak due to its audio quality, usefulness to DJs and collectibility – but the locale is making way for a recreational marijuana dispensary called Budega. Woker believes the cannabis shop will pay a significantly higher rent...

These marijuana joints are springing like mushrooms.

I'm not a Bostonian, and don't have the nose for that city's fragrance, but New York City doesn't have the smells it had. The NY air now smells like weed when you're walking down the street, and nothing but weed. When I lived there, it had its own smell: yes, there was a little weed in it, customarily below the Union Square, but it was also street coffee, danish, yesterday's trash, hangover, geraniums, expensive perfume. Now it's just weed.

Driving to work at 7am here in Rhode Island...trail of weed on the highway enters the car and stays. Who smokes grass at 7am? Obviously it's someone driving to work. I'm sure it's a medical necessity, like an emotional support rabbit, or two-three antidepressant prescriptions that are almost a routine for twenty year olds. 

2 hours ago, Dmitry said:

Since a reopening after the worst of Covid, owner Jack Woker said business has never been better – the draw for vintage vinyl is at a remarkable peak due to its audio quality, usefulness to DJs and collectibility – but the locale is making way for a recreational marijuana dispensary called Budega. Woker believes the cannabis shop will pay a significantly higher rent...

I'm not a Bostonian, and don't have the nose for that city's fragrance, but New York City doesn't have the smells it had. The NY air now smells like weed when you're walking down the street, and nothing but weed. When I lived there, it had its own smell: yes, there was a little weed in it, customarily below the Union Square, but it was also street coffee, danish, yesterday's trash, hangover, geraniums, expensive perfume. Now it's just weed.

Driving to work at 7am here in Rhode Island...trail of weed on the highway enters the car and stays. Who smokes grass at 7am? Obviously it's someone driving to work. I'm sure it's a medical necessity, like an emotional support rabbit, or two-three antidepressant prescriptions that are almost a routine for twenty year olds. 

Working class folks coping with the pressures of life. 

14 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Working class folks coping with the pressures of life. 

Agreed. Marijuana vapors emanating out of construction company vans are expected at all times. A giant Dunkin Donuts "coffee" with extra-extra-extra and a joint...they keep America running.

3 hours ago, Dmitry said:

big-pile-of-manure.jpg

26 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

For some maybe but not for all. Can't paint folks with a broad brush 

Well we are in disagreement here, but I apologize for taking us off topic.

Enjoy Boston and give us a first-hand report of your experiences at Stereo Jacks!

19 hours ago, Eric said:

???

Smoking weed at 7:00 am is an addiction problem.

Yes it is. The cannabis of today isn't what we had in college. It can be 20-30 more potent. The effects of it on the brain are in dire need of significant research, before it's too late for many.

19 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

For some maybe but not for all. Can't paint folks with a broad brush 

I disagree. If someone is drinking alcohol at 7am, you wouldn't call it an addiction? Or if someone lights up a cigarette when they just woke up? Same with cannabis or any other substance that alters the brain to seek it because of the changes in brain produced by repeated use of that substance. 

On 5/26/2023 at 6:11 AM, Stereojack said:

I still lurk regularly around here, although I rarely post. Stereo Jack's is still open, now in a new location in Ball Square, Somerville, under new management. The owner and staff are all former staffers of the Cambridge store. The address is 736 Broadway, Somerville. 

https://stereojacks.com/

Always nice to see you Jack!

57 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Weed is not addictive. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_use_disorder

I just wondered about your statement TTK and did a search. I certainly know that what's available these days is a lot stronger than when I partook and wondered if there was any recent research suggesting addiction. It would seem that there is a suggestion that its constituent elements might be addictive.

Most of the results were from rehab organisations so I discounted them as they may well be biased.

I do not mean to make any judgement here, I was just interested to see what current thinking is. 

I also realise this is hijacking the thread, so mods please delete if necessary 

Edited by mjazzg

Just now, mjazzg said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_use_disorder

I just wondered about your statement TTK and did a search. I certainly know that what's available these days is a lot stronger than when I partook and wondered if there was any recent research suggesting addiction. It would seem that there is a suggestion that its constituent elements might be addictive.

Most of the results were from rehab organisations so I discounted them as they may well be biased.

I do not mean to make any judgement here, I was just interested to see what current thinking is. 

I also realise this is hijacking the thread, so most please delete if necessary 

As one who has frequented Stereo Jack's, I don't mind the hijack.

But thank you for sharing. 👍

6 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Weed is not addictive. 

https://nida.nih.gov/publications/research-reports/marijuana/marijuana-addictive

5 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I also realise this is hijacking the thread, so mods please delete if necessary 

Truth be told, we are supporting the new Stereo Jack's with this thread. It had but an original post and one reply, and crickets for nine months, until I read the article that mentioned that Jack's was being replaced by a weed shop, and went on a tangent.

Long live Stereo Jack's and its eponymous former proprietor!

Edited by Dmitry

• 2 weeks later...

Well, leaving Boston and regrettably didn't get a chance to go by Stereo Jack's. My friend who actually lives just down the road from the shop came down with covid so I didn't venture out to Somerville. Next time...

Can confirm weed is in the air everywhere. Except Chinatown for some reason. If you find yourself there anytime soon, hit up the Taiwan Cafe for an oyster omelet. Just like Taipei and that's a damn rarity.