Charle Rose Interviews Joe Henderson

JSngry

Wow, Scofield led looking pretty snazzy in suit and tie!

I kind of doubt that Charlie Rose is a genuinely big jazz guy, but give him credit for interviewing Joe for 10 minutes. 

It's unfortunate that Charlie Rose and Tavis Smiley went down in disgrace.  They were probably the only guys on TV who would interview a jazz player for 10 minutes and allow a performance more than 3 minutes long.  Near as I can tell, those days are long gone.

40 minutes ago, Stonewall15 said:

I really miss Charlie Rose. His interviews of various celebrities and politicians were outstanding. 

Rose faked it better than most, or usually anyway.

But I’ll never forget his interview of Leonard Slatkin, where he pressed him right out of the gate (first question of the interview) — and with multiple follow-ups no less — as to why it was so important for audiences to hear the Haydn symphony Slatkin happened to be conducting that next weekend. Oh, did I mention, Charlie also pronounced it as “HAY-den” not once, but multiple times throughout the interview. Props to Slatkin for never correcting him, or cringing each time — or at the absurdity of being repeatedly asked to explain “HAY-den” to Rose’s audience — and thankfully Slatkin did finally redirect Charlie successfully.

I also remember Rose asking the Icelandic singer Bjork — again, with multiple cringy follow-ups — to try and explain what the music sounded like in her head that she couldn’t quite get out.

(My wife vividly remembers both the Slatkin and Bjork interviews with Rose — and her opinions of Rose pretty much mirror mine.)

Rose may have been a good broadcaster, but I thought he was often sorely lacking as an interviewer — or he was only as good as the questions his research team could come up with.

Edited by Rooster_Ties