Craziest 1980s/90s fusion

Rabshakeh

What are the craziest, most bad taste, 1980s or early 1990s fusion records that you can think of?

Doing some "research" for a "friend".

I'm talking music so shredding that it could be on the soundtrack to F Zero (or for the 'mature' ballads, intro music for the Weather Channel). The kind of music that reeks of pony tails, lucozade, garish waistcoats and cheap wrap-around sunglasses.

Edited by Rabshakeh

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

What are the craziest, most bad taste, 1980s or early 1990s fusion records that you can think of?

Doing some "research" for a "friend".

I'm talking music so shredding that it could be on the soundtrack to F Zero (or for the 'mature' ballads, intro music for the Weather Channel). The kind of music that reeks of pony tails, lucozade, garish waistcoats and cheap wrap-around sunglasses.

I love the fact that outside of pony tails and wrap around sunglasses I have absolutely no idea what you’re referencing here. I’m looking forward to the entries 

Edited by Dub Modal

Sacrilege in some circles, but I've always found Holdsworth to be very shreddy...but not in a bad way, that's just how he plays.

For the time, al De Miola was the one who gave me the creeps with RTF and beyond. Pretty early in I stopped caring/listening, so maybe it sounds tame now.

F Zero was a computer game with an absurd fusion / speed metal soundtrack. 

This is a record that was recorded by Nintendo's house band (which was apparently a thing). Copies of the CD go for north of £400.

52 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Sacrilege in some circles, but I've always found Holdsworth to be very shreddy...but not in a bad way, that's just how he plays.

For the time, al De Miola was the one who gave me the creeps with RTF and beyond. Pretty early in I stopped caring/listening, so maybe it sounds tame now.

Holdsworth's Secrets and Di Meola's Electric Rendez Vous are precisely the kind of stuff I'm thinking of as a sort of basic starting point. 

5 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

I mean, I can't stand it but I also have watched it a number of times over the years. :wacko:

Well, then you'll love this one:

Cosmosquad by Cosmosquad (Marmaduke, 1997)

R-5249179-1575023337-6885.jpg

First impression: the guitarist only stops soloing when it's time for a show-off flamenco interlude (sensitive). Otherwise it is all guitar solos, all the time. Everyone involved looks like they are in a death metal band from Florida circa 1991. It could do with being faster: they have a lot to learn from Mr. Hammer.

Edited by Rabshakeh

Scott Henderson, Gary Willis, Tribal Tech – Illicit (1992)

R-841550-1288667710.jpg

I asked Reddit to recommend some great fusion records and this is what I got.

I can't believe that anyone who doesn't teach bass guitar could get into this record. It is very... arid music.

I like the fake PMRC sticker. Best thing about the record.

Edited by Rabshakeh

Gary Willis was in Wayne's band, the electric one. He was one of the most organic fusion players I've ever come across (we were from the same area, knew each other through NT, and jammed back home ove summer vacations). This guy literally did not, could not, WOULD not be bothered with any bebop derived music. This made the jams....uneven, but - when it came to things coming out of that other bag, hey, hey was all into it.

Tribal tech...it seemed to be a whole band of hims. (Scott Henderson was in Zawinul's first post-WR bands, iirc?), and for me....no thanks. But they're honest musicians.

I don't know that Wayne was all in on the touring/band thing yet. But they did tour some. There are some YouTube videos, but the full story of that period is likely to be told by whatever private recordings there are to be brought forward. It was a hot band, though.

The Square - S.P.O.R.T.S. (CBS, 1986)

R-10967739-1507435732-6330.jpg

I mean, this one is probably too likeable to qualify for this thread.  Some tunes are as little as 20% guitar solo. From the point of view of 1980s fusion, I am not sure whether anything with less than 45% guitar solo per track even counts as music.

34 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

The Square - S.P.O.R.T.S. (CBS, 1986)

R-10967739-1507435732-6330.jpg

I mean, this one is probably too likeable to qualify for this thread.  Some tunes are as little as 20% guitar solo. From the point of view of 1980s fusion, I am not sure whether anything with less than 45% guitar solo per track even counts as music.

Just got caught listening to this by another adult. Mortified.