Jimmy Smith Trio At the Village Gate

CJ Shearn

I used to have The Amazing Jimmy Smith Trio Metro LP on vinyl long ago, and just received a copy of the Verve Originals CD on eBay as part of my JOS collection rebuild (almost there!).  One thing that really bothers me is the credits list Billy Hart on drums instead of Donald Bailey.  All the aural evidence I hear, from the ride sound, to the dry chick of the high hat, the feel and the off kilter comping is DEFINITELY Bailey.  Compared to the Salle Pleyel Mai 28 1965 album where Hart is on drums-- huge difference.  IIRC, Hart joined the trio in late 1963 but didn't appear on a recording with Jimmy till 1964.  Is this album, a date with the correct personnel listed anywhere in a discography? Always wondered why they didn't combine this one on a 2fer with Live in Hamburg which has never seen a CD or streaming release.

4 hours ago, mjzee said:

Ah ha. Thanks MJZee. I knew that was Donald. Why the Verve Originals issue could not correct this error and include the date seems like poor research to me.