Joey DeFrancesco RIP

randyhersom

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got off the phone with Lenny White, I called to confirm and its indeed true. I  am in complete shock and have no words to describe how I feel. I read the news on the FB of a colleague, and I literally couldn't move for 5 minutes. Joey was really entering some new places musically and I can count on one hand those who are left well versed in the tradition JOS started, but no one knew Jimmy's music like Joey. 

Dead at 51! Terrible! My late friend Ed Dipple, who made such a contribution to jazz in this country, had similar weight problems to Joey's (who seemed to have overcome them recently) and went at 50. Joey was at Ronnie Scott's a few weeks ago, but my plans for a visit were scotched by a rail strike. So I end up never having seen an organist whose work I love. :(

Edited by BillF

I missed another opportunity of seeing Joey some years ago, when he was at the Wigan Jazz Festival. A friend who went said that at the end of the final climactic number showman Joey rose to his feet, turned round and plonked his huge behind on the keyboard :excited:. Festival organiser, Ian Darrington, who'd hired a top-grade expensive instrument for the occasion, was seen to have kittens. (Apologies if this is a UK-only expression.)

Edited by BillF

It seems that most of my chances to see him came before I fell in love with the organ.  I ended up seeing him only once, with a star-studded lineup in Pittsburgh (Andy Bey, Billy Hart, Ingrid Jensen, JD Allen, Sean Jones, Mark Whitfield, Tineke Postma and Reginald Veal).  He last came to Cleveland in November and I somehow didn't go.  I can't believe he's gone now.  Thank you for the music, Mr. DeFrancesco, and rest in peace.