Joey DeFrancesco RIP

randyhersom

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like pure shit right now. Why, because I was starting to criticize him for his singing and trumpet playing.  DAM, 51?  I'm going straight to The Champ and Round Two my two favorites by Joey D.  Met him and his Wife (his  fiancée at the time) at Yoshi's a few years ago and saw his last appearance at Yoshi's. I'm in total shock right now...................

6 hours ago, Milestones said:

I didn't think he was quite that young.  I guess it's a good thing that he was out there and receiving recognition virtually as a youngster.

He was 18 when his first album came out in 1989, and he was making waves years before that in the Philly area.

What a tragedy.  I was fortunate enough to see Joey play several times.  He was always very popular in Detroit and played the festival there almost annually for a while back when my dad was involved there, always to great acclaim.  I also saw him play here in NYC and other places.  Most memorably a funky as hell show with Houston Person and a glowing late night with Bobby Hutcherson.  He was clearly a real craftsman and always attentive to his audiences and the history of his music, and on the couple of occasions I had to interact with him he was open, affable, and humorous.  What a loss for his wife and family, for his fellow musicians who clearly loved playing with him, and for his many many fans everywhere.  

I must say that I too was surprised to find that he was so young.  Perhaps because he's been on so prominently on the scene from such a young age, and played with so many accomplished senior musicians, in my mind he seemed quite a bit older than 51. Not to go too far into speculation, but I have to wonder if his recent swift and noticeable weight loss had something to do with his death.  We put such a big social and medical premium on just weight loss itself, but I have known several people who have suffered serious health damage from quick weight loss via drugs, crash diets, or surgery, including friends who have died.  

He will be very much missed, most especially by we fans of the organ groove of which he will always stand as one of the absolute masters.   

Bye Joey D.

Edited by Al in NYC

6 hours ago, Al in NYC said:

I must say that I too was surprised to find that he was so young.  Perhaps because he's been on so prominently on the scene from such a young age, and played with so many accomplished senior musicians, in my mind he seemed quite a bit older than 51.

I can't verify, but this is on his Wikipedia page.  Pretty decent company for a 10 year old, eh?:

At the age of 10, DeFrancesco joined a band in Philadelphia that included jazz musicians Hank Mobley and Philly Joe Jones.

On 8/26/2022 at 8:21 AM, JSngry said:

Was this weight-related? Heart attack or something?

For those of us who are in a constant battle with/against compulsive eating, this is a very sobering reminder that nothing is free. Not only that, but the bill always comes due.

RIP

Great Van, great band, great set... but when I first watched this, and numerous times after... Joey D, even playing as well he does, did not look long for this world. (Got the same feeling watching later years Wallace Roney, though at least he made 59.) Eff "acceptance": anyone who's friends with the morbidly obese / addicts knows they need help, support (they know it too, of course). Shame it seems Joey turned that corner & it was too late. Joey's two studio albums with Van very good too.