Any fans of Japanese city pop here?

CJ Shearn

The style of Japanese pop from the late 70s and early 80s that emerged from the economic bubble period. I recently got a few compilations Tokyo Nights Japanese Female J Pop, Funk and Boogie 1981-1988 (thanks Bastids and $6.99 too!) and the two volume Pacific Breeze Japanese City Pop, AOR and Boogie that across both discs cover the years 1972-88 in their totality. The Pacific Breeze comps get the edge for me in terms of scope with the first one having some particularly deep album cuts like Minako Yoshida's "Midnight Driver", "Say Goodbye" by Hiroshi Sato, "Coffee Rumba" by Izumi Kobayashi, "Sportsmen" by Haruomi Hasono and "In My Jungle" by FOE. As far as modern J-Pop goes my favorite has always been Hikaru Utada who has been around 20 years now. Soweto Kinch is in her current touring band and Vinnie Colaiuta was in the past. 

4 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Those comps are very good. Pp I wouldn't class myself as a fan of the genre any more than I would New Wave just because I like the singles. I find it slightly odd that it gets fetishised so much. 

I think because it's from Japan and for a lot millennials and generation Y and Z they never heard anything like it before but I plan on more of the compilations because they are very nice. 

25 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I have a friend who is a big fan of City Pop and YMO. It's good music.

YMO is really hip. I compose for a hobby and that stuff is an influence on me. There is a musical sophistication and integrity harmonically that exists with the jazz influences that isn't in a lot of the Kpop I've heard and admittedly I am not a huge fan but a guitarist friend is. Maybe I haven't heard the right stuff 

4 minutes ago, CJ Shearn said:

YMO is really hip. I compose for a hobby and that stuff is an influence on me. There is a musical sophistication and integrity harmonically that exists with the jazz influences that isn't in a lot of the Kpop I've heard and admittedly I am not a huge fan but a guitarist friend is. Maybe I haven't heard the right stuff 

Seems like they're worlds away to me too.