Remembering Creed Taylor

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, JSngry said:

Why would you be surprised that somebody has a different opinion than yours?

Besides, it's not a "Bags at his best" thing. It's a "one of his best records" thing.

Perhaps you don't understand the difference? 

What you actually said - "there is not a a better Milt Jackson recording than "Sunflower".

If that does not strongly suggest - "Bags at his best", it sure sounds like it to me.

I do very clearly understand the difference. It is not surprising to me that people hold different opinions. The fact that so many on this Board had such a high opinion of "Sunflower" did surprise me.

I believe everyone has the right to be surprised.

Whoever said Sunflower is schmaltzy to them, I understand that comment and I can't really argue it.  I will say that, and I love that album, the shit Herbie plays behind Freddie on "For Someone I Love" and Billy Cobham's responses to Herbie are anything but. I watched a recent interview with Cobham where he said it's one of his favorite CTI sessions. Now, Bobby Hutcherson Natural Illusions for me OTOH is an absolute dog and his worst Blue Note by far. It gives Jim's comment weight Blue Note was done by '72. It strikes me as an attempt to be their version of a Sunflower cash in and absolutely inline with musak. If Bobby made an album resembling Satie's definition of furniture music, that's it.

Edited by CJ Shearn

I'm not going to try to argue that Natural Illusions isn't the weakest of Hutcherson's Blue Notes, but it's not unlistenable.  And most of his '70s work for the label is strong, some of it as good as anything he ever did or anyone else on mallets ever did.  Consider this from '75:

Bobby Hutcherson - People Make The World Go Round - YouTube

I think this is every bit as good as the version of this tune Milt did for CTI

4 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

I'm not going to try to argue that Natural Illusions isn't the weakest of Hutcherson's Blue Notes, but it's not unlistenable.  And most of his '70s work for the label is strong, some of it as good as anything he ever did or anyone else on mallets ever did.  Consider this from '75:

Oh yeah, I love Linger Lane.  For me, that album is quite underrated, and the fact it was recorded outside gives it a unique vibe.  I recently got the Japanese CD version.

11 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

Consider this from '75:

I still think Milt's version is better. 🙂 And I wonder who came up with the concept, as there's a similar version by Freddie Hubbard for CTI, recorded half a year earlier (issued on 'Polar AC'), which was arranged by Bob James.

But there's so much to enjoy on CTI overall. Where else would you for example hear Paul Desmond in the 60s with the rhythm section of Airto Moreira, Ron Carter and Herbie Hancock (on the album 'Summertime')?

Edited by Daniel A

Alfred Lion, Creed Taylor, and Manfred Eicher had a ton in common as producer-owners starting with the fact that you can, with only a few exceptions, instantly identify a Blue Note, CTI, or ECM record in a blindfold test no matter who the artist is. You can also identify each label's records from the packaging without ever hearing a note of the music. 

21 minutes ago, Mark Stryker said:

Alfred Lion, Creed Taylor, and Manfred Eicher had a ton in common as producer-owners starting with the fact that you can, with only a few exceptions, instantly identify a Blue Note, CTI, or ECM record in a blindfold test no matter who the artist is. You can also identify each label's records from the packaging without ever hearing a note of the music. 

This is certainly true, and a remarkable accomplishment.  As is the fact that we're still talking about them all these decades later.  There are also very significant differences in how they did things which result in very different product.  There are albums on ECM and CTI which I love, but it's not a coincidence that I own a relative handful of those and damn near everything on BN til Francis Wolf died.

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

That's a really good song. Try the Johnny Lytle version with Marvin Cabell, on Milestone.

Hell, try the original! 

Maybe we should do a thread on jazz versions of Tom Bell tunes, or Philly soul in general.

On 8/31/2022 at 6:01 PM, Larry Kart said:

Ordered it, in a two-fer with "Goodbye." I would put in a vote, though (yes, different eras, apples and oranges) for the "Milt Jackson Quartet" (Prestige), with superb comping from Horace Silver, and "The Jazz Skyline" (Savoy), with Lucky Thompson, Hank Jones, Wendel Marshall, and Kenny Clarke.

FWIW, the three Milt Jackson records I recommend at the end of the chapter about him in my book are: Milt Jackson Quartet (Prestige), Sunflower (CTI), and the Fresh Sounds release that collects the Savoy and Atlantic sessions (but I I had to go with a single LP from this it would be either "The Jazz Skyline" or "Jackson's Ville" on Savoy). Since the Pablo records have come up in this thread, for me the best small group one by far is "Soul Fusion" with Monty Alexander's Trio (Clayton/Hamilton). I also like some of the tracks from the Bags/Basie Orchestra dates but long for different drummer than Butch Miles. 

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

That's a really good song. Try the Johnny Lytle version with Marvin Cabell, on Milestone.

Hell, try the original! 

Maybe we should do a thread on jazz versions of Tom Bell tunes, or Philly soul in general.

29 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Many years ago, I started an award-winning Organissimo thread titled SNL Sax

I loaded a bunch of CTI stuff into a playlist, and I found myself deleting the stuff by Hank Crawford, who seems to favor the SNL Sax sound.

Remember it well.  I love Hank Crawford, but think his work for CTI/Kudu is the least likely to end up on my playlist.

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

Hell, try the original! 

Always been a favorite of mine, and probably the Stylistics' greatest moment (among many).

54 minutes ago, danasgoodstuff said:

Works for me.

Saying that Hank Crawford favors the SNL sax sound is like saying that Ray Charles favors the Tom Jones vocal approach. 

1 hour ago, Mark Stryker said:

Norman Granz as well, albeit several times in several ways. 

15 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Saying that Hank Crawford favors the SNL sax sound is like saying that Ray Charles favors the Tom Jones vocal approach. 

All I can tell you is that when the track came on, I ran for the delete button.  If it is not the SNL Sax sound, it was something that irritates me equally as much. 

And I LOVES me some Tom Jones!

Edited by Teasing the Korean

OK, now listening to the title track from Red Clay, and I am totally digging it.  I knew I held onto the LP for a reason, and while it may have at one time struck me as being "not CTI enough," it is certainly delivering the goods now.  I will spin the whole LP soon.

Edited by Teasing the Korean