Forthcoming from Mosaic: JATP, Sonny Clark

The JATP set may be of interest to me, if it contains considerable new material, although I am not really a fan of that format.

I have all the Joe Henderson and Kenny Dorham as single CDs, I have all the Sonny Clark as single CDs, and all the Feddie Hubbard I want. Mosaic seems to go for the improved mastering route. The only set of that kind I'd buy would be a Hank Mobley set with Soul Station etc. but these are only four LPs worth of material. Maybe they will do it, because these sessions would deserve it. 

Edited by mikeweil

I believe the JATP info had been posted before.  Thank you for the updated info David. Great news about the Sonny Clark info. I feel the same way about the  Clark set as about Hubbard; I have all the material that would probably be on this set and would be inclined to pass although that’s not a certainty. 

1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

The JATP set may be of interest to me, if it contains considerable new material, although I am not really a fan of that format.

I have all the Joe Henderson and Kenny Dorham as single CDs, I have all the Sonny Clark as single CDs, and all the Feddie Hubbard I want. Mosaic seems to go for the improved mastering route. The only set of that kind I'd buy would be a Hank Mobley set with Soul Station etc. but these are only four LPs worth of material. Maybe they will do it, because these sessions would deserve it. 

We're old collectors. Besides improved mastering some of these titles are "officially" out of print and the most recent issues have been in Japan. New to jazz persons could be more excited.

2 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Some news from Mosaic that Scott gave me the go-ahead to post:

New and Forthcoming From Mosaic: Freddie Hubbard, Sonny Clark, JATP

Thanks for the headsup David!

I can't get to the web page for some odd reason. Can someone post a synopsis of the set(s)?

Also, I've got a question for you guys. Since Mosaic has gone through this new process of announcing a set close to its shipping date, it seems sets sell out MUCH quicker. It used to be that a set could be on the website for 3-6 months. Now it seems like they're gone after a month or so.

Do we have an ETA for the JATP set? Also how long the Hubbard set is going to be available? I'm slightly inclined to get it as I only have one of those CDs but cash flow is low this month...

1 hour ago, tranemonk said:

I can't get to the web page for some odd reason. Can someone post a synopsis of the set(s)?

Also, I've got a question for you guys. Since Mosaic has gone through this new process of announcing a set close to its shipping date, it seems sets sell out MUCH quicker. It used to be that a set could be on the website for 3-6 months. Now it seems like they're gone after a month or so.

Do we have an ETA for the JATP set? Also how long the Hubbard set is going to be available? I'm slightly inclined to get it as I only have one of those CDs but cash flow is low this month...

Neither of these two just announced sets are on the website yet.

I wonder whether the JATP box has overlap with this 10-CD set:

The Complete Jazz At The Philharmonic On Verve 1944-1949 (1998)

As for the Sonny Clark, I was surprised that Mosaic hadn't previously released it.  Then I realized they had released the Buddy DeFranco with Clark set.  I think I have everything that will be in the Clark box, but am curious if they've found more alternates.

2 minutes ago, mjzee said:

As for the Sonny Clark, I was surprised that Mosaic hadn't previously released it.  Then I realized they had released the Buddy DeFranco with Clark set.  I think I have everything that will be in the Clark box, but am curious if they've found more alternates.

That box is 1944-1949 - the new one is "from the 1950s".

My old friend Bob Porter assembled 14 JATP lps for Verve. The bulk of them were from the '50s. Probably the basis for the new set.

Dates I know:

Rich and Krupa The Drum Battle 1952/54

Ella Fitzgerald

Coleman Hawkins 1949/50/57

The Rarest Concerts 1946/53

Bird and Pres at Carnegie Hall 1949

Norgran Blues 1950

The Trumpet Battle 1952

One O’clock Jump 1953

The Challenges 1954

Blues in Chicago 1955

Ella Fitzgerald

Oscar Peterson

Stan Getz / JJ Johnson 1957

Lester Young Carnegie Blues 1946/53/57

12 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Has anybody done a good look at the Granz/Criss relationship? That one has always seemed a bit odd to me. Seemed like it was as off as quick as it was on? 

39 minutes ago, mjzee said:

There have also been some on Pablo: Frankfurt 1952, Tokyo 1953, Hartford 1953, and Sonny Criss's "Intermission Riff" (L.A., 1951).  There was also Carnegie Hall 1949 with Bird, but that was 1949.

Ever spend any time with Criss? He could quickly become prickly.

I've heard that many times, which has me wondering how the whole thing got started to begin with.. was Granz looking for a backup to Bird? Also heard that there was apparently some "New Bird" hype at one point that really fucked Criss up, but have never seen any proof of that, from Granz or otherwise 

4 hours ago, mjzee said:

I bought that set several years ago from someone here who was selling off a collection. Great music AND packaging!