Forthcoming from Mosaic: JATP, Sonny Clark

22 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

My old friend Bob Porter assembled 14 JATP lps for Verve. The bulk of them were from the '50s. Probably the basis for the new set.

Yep, I have many of those but would welcome a digital (CD) set

18 hours ago, BFrank said:

I bought that set several years ago from someone here who was selling off a collection. Great music AND packaging!

I've got the more simplified, much less ornate (& cheaper) european version

I haven't felt too keen on the Blue Note sets from the last couple years since I have all of that already, but I may make an exception for the Sonny Clark, not just on the sheer strength of the catalog, but also because I think in this case I am missing a few of the trio sides, which have always been a muddle to me. I have Sonny Clark Trio, Blues In The Night, and Standards, but I think that has me missing a few things from the Art of the Trio King LP and maybe something more here or there. I'd be interested to hear if there's anything extra thrown in as well.

Edited by colinmce

5 hours ago, colinmce said:

I haven't felt too keen on the Blue Note sets from the last couple years since I have all of that already, but I may make an exception for the Sonny Clark, not just on the sheer strength of the catalog, but also because I think in this case I am missing a few of the trio sides, which have always been a muddle to me. I have Sonny Clark Trio, Blues In The Night, and Standards, but I think that has me missing a few things from the Art of the Trio King LP and maybe something more here or there. I'd be interested to hear if there's anything extra thrown in as well.

Agreed. I have fewer trio sides (just Sonny Clark Trio on BN and Bainbridge), so will be keenly interested in the discography. But if I turn out to be short just a couple of albums, I might pick those up separately rather than spring for the box.

31 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

How many discs do we think the Sonny Clark will have?  I think I have about half his BN leader-dates, but I haven’t done my homework to work out what I’m missing (FWIW, I have 3 or 4 discs, iirc).

I can't tell.

Allmusic shows 12 Blue Note albums, but there could be some overlap (e.g. Quintets has only 3 unique tunes).

I think I have all the non-trio/solo stuff bar the 3 cuts on Quintets.

There are a whole bunch of trio/solo(?) albums - Trio, Trio v. 2, Trio v. 3, Art of the Trio, Blues in the Night and Immortal Session(?) - but I'm too lazy to research overlap.

Vague guess: maybe as many as 9 albums worth? Which, depending on how Mosaic programs the discs, could be a 5 to 9 disc box? But I have no idea whether any unreleased alternate takes could be added.

Edited by T.D.

11 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Domestic BN cds ( Conns, RVGs and "Standards") make 7 cds. The BN vault may produce some more alternates, but...

5 hours ago, mikeweil said:

These CDs include all the alternates and unreleased tracks ever made available. 

Thanks. That means I currently own all but Standards. So...