Live review Pat Metheny Side Eye Bearsville Theater

Sure! Like I said, you wouldn't think Pat knows the organ thing but he does. When I saw him at the same venue in 2008 with Larry Grenadier and Jack DeJohnette he was really diving into Grant Green isms... totally unexpected. Can a cat like Peter Bernstein do the Grant thing better than Pat? Yes... but Metheny really knows that thing inside and out. 

Edited by CJ Shearn

You mention Metheny''s experience as a player in organ trios and that info was new to me as well when I heard him elaborate on it in some fairly recent interview (with Rick Beato maybe?). Wasn't Charles Kynard the name he mentioned?

Anyways, great review. I saw them in Utrecht last May and they blew me away too..

Metheny provokes controversy in all he does and I often wonder why that is. Certainly, his chops as a player are beyond dispute. The guy can play ANYTHING. But maybe that's part of the problem. You can reach a point where effortlessness becomes suspect. Also I, think his eclecticism doesn't help.Or hasn't over the past forty-or-so years.

To me, he is a fascinating musician.

Edited by Mark13

He's eclectic for sure, and for me that's a huge part of the appeal.

On the other hand, Pat doesn't sound quite as fresh these days.  It's not like Side-Eye is such an innovation, and he seems more reliant on playing older music.  Nothing wrong with that.  Almost all musicians are largely doing that by the time they reach his age (or long before).  Metheny is eminently listenable, and one of my misfortunes is that I have never attended one of his concerts.

So the next album will feature all new material?

Edited by Milestones

1 hour ago, Milestones said:

He's eclectic for sure, and for me that's a huge part of the appeal.

On the other hand, Pat doesn't sound quite as fresh these days.  It's not like Side-Eye is such an innovation, and he seems more reliant on playing older music.  Nothing wrong with that.  Almost all musicians are largely doing that by the time they reach his age (or long before).  Metheny is eminently listenable, and one of my misfortunes is that I have never attended one of his concerts.

So the next album will feature all new material?

Yes. That is correct. These days he is more of a mentor to young musicians these days as Gary Burton was to him. I do agree perhaps the playing old music now for many years it may be less interesting. I've seen 2 Side Eye shows and ready for the next thing.  I really dig all of his thing and really take the time to listen. Are there things I like more than others? Sure but like Miles and Trane I dig it all. Plus, Pat always has a great show. 

7 hours ago, Mark13 said:

You mention Metheny''s experience as a player in organ trios and that info was new to me as well when I heard him elaborate on it in some fairly recent interview (with Rick Beato maybe?). Wasn't Charles Kynard the name he mentioned?

Anyways, great review. I saw them in Utrecht last May and they blew me away too..

Metheny provokes controversy in all he does and I often wonder why that is. Certainly, his chops as a player are beyond dispute. The guy can play ANYTHING. But maybe that's part of the problem. You can reach a point where effortlessness becomes suspect. Also I, think his eclecticism doesn't help.Or hasn't over the past forty-or-so years.

To me, he is a fascinating musician.

He didn't mention Kynard specifically there, but yes that's one of the folks he played with. Pat spends hours shedding so I think that's how he can play multiple styles like that.  He wakes up early and practices 3-4 hours a day, and on a gig day warms up at least 4 hours.