Solomon’s Daughter

With A Heartbeat 

Save Our Children

Message from Home

Moon Child

Love In Us All

Thembi

Jewels of Thought

I’m enjoying all of them. With A Heartbeat is a Laswell collaboration and it’s the only one I didn’t really connect closely with. I think it had more to do with the production style rather than musical issues though. Probably will revisit at some point.

Miles’ dig - if it had any musical target - probably included some aspect of the musical theme and feeling/vision in Sanders’ playing being consistent and I could see someone of Miles’ mind having enough of that after a bit. Sometimes brilliance like Miles had could be a curse I guess. 

12 hours ago, Д.Д. said:

The latest (August 2022) Japanese reissue of "Africa" includes a 28-minute bonus CD with three alternate takes. Got my copy, but have not listened to the bonus CD yet.

https://www.discogs.com/release/24640664-Pharoah-Sanders-John-Hicks-Curtis-Lundy-Idris-Muhammed-Africa-Deluxe-Edition 

Hi, did you see Pharoah at Porgy & Bess several years ago ? I think it was the last time he was in Viena. Also in Austria, he played at that Festival somewhere in Upper Austria, where that Farmer and Jazzlover Paul Zauner always organizes Jazz Events.....

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

Hi, did you see Pharoah at Porgy & Bess several years ago ? I think it was the last time he was in Viena. Also in Austria, he played at that Festival somewhere in Upper Austria, where that Farmer and Jazzlover Paul Zauner always organizes Jazz Events.....

I saw him around 2011-2ß12 - not sure if this is the concert you are referring to. I thought the performance was quite pedestrian and left after a 20 minutes.  

On 29.9.2022 at 8:11 PM, Pim said:

I love ‘Live at the East’ as well. Probably the most expensive cd I’ve ever bought but well worth it. I also always liked this underrated Impulse! session:
Ny03MDk2LmpwZWc.jpeg

It seems nearly impossible to go wrong with Pharoah Sanders on Impulse ....

• 1 month later...

really a wealth of treasures. 

It will take some time for me to see them all. 

The gig at "inntöne" in Upper Austria I think was just a few days after I saw him for the last time at "Porgy and Bess". He still was strong, but seemed to have difficulties to walk, whatever it was. 

The last appearance in public is very moving. But who is the slim guy who also plays tenor, he´s okay but what does that flower on his head mean ? 

13 hours ago, unitstructures said:

Yeah, I caught two Pharoah shows at the Iridium in 2019 (on vacation) and Tomoki tore it up on tenor. I asked him for some saxophone tips, and he said to learn some Gene Ammons (apparently Pharoah was a big fan).

I´m a big fan and the LP "Live at the East" was one of my first "jazz" LP´s when I was still a teenager, I still have it and thought to ask Mr. Sander to sign it for me, telling him how much I love his music since I was almost a kid, but somehow he looked like a man who wouldn´t like to be bothered with mundane stuff like this. Though I had the album with me when I went to his last concert in Viena, I went home with the LP un-signed, but with all that wealth of music in my head, which is the most important and durable thing. 

2 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Same here, although slightly edged by "Black Unity" 😇 ....

Strange but true: I didn´t know about "Karma" before 2013, when I heard him perform "The Creator Has a Master Plan" and told my wife about it. And one of my birthday presents was the Karma CD. Well for my wife, the beginning of the song was okay for her, but she left the room and closed the door when the free passages started 😄

52 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Strange but true: I didn´t know about "Karma" before 2013, when I heard him perform "The Creator Has a Master Plan" and told my wife about it. And one of my birthday presents was the Karma CD. Well for my wife, the beginning of the song was okay for her, but she left the room and closed the door when the free passages started 😄

😂😂😂 ....

19 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I´m a big fan and the LP "Live at the East" was one of my first "jazz" LP´s when I was still a teenager, I still have it and thought to ask Mr. Sander to sign it for me, telling him how much I love his music since I was almost a kid, but somehow he looked like a man who wouldn´t like to be bothered with mundane stuff like this. Though I had the album with me when I went to his last concert in Viena, I went home with the LP un-signed, but with all that wealth of music in my head, which is the most important and durable thing. 

That's a wild coincidence, when I saw him he signed my copy of Live at the East!! My girlfriend had him sign her copy of Iphizo Zam... He didn't want to talk to fans but his son and his bass player would relay messages to him. Maybe I shouldn't have bothered him but I was determined.

Live at the East is a great album, one of my all-time favorites. I love the story of how they couldn't get the recording equipment at the actual venue The East, so they brought the audience from the venue to the studio.

Edited by unitstructures

30 minutes ago, felser said:

His entire Impulse run of albums is fascinating.  Some dog tracks in there, but they're interesting dog tracks.  And a lot of gems.

I am not a big fan of Wisdom Through Music. It has its moments but it's lacking some of the drive of the other Impulse Pharoah sides. At least it's better than that totally whack Arista album though...

Edited by unitstructures

2 hours ago, unitstructures said:

I am not a big fan of Wisdom Through Music. It has its moments but it's lacking some of the drive of the other Impulse Pharoah sides.

Totally agree it is by far the weakest of the lot.  I remember the disappointment in real time when it came out and I spent my hard earned $3.99 or whatever on it.  But still "interesting" in historical context.  Never heard the Arista album, would like to.  Heard one vocal cut I actually liked, but I know the reputation the album has.