One Tune Wonders

Peter Friedman

2 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

Depending on how restrictive your definition of the GAS is, Ann Ronell wrote Willow Weep For Me, but nothing else that's played much.

"Willow Weep For Me" (music and lyric) certainly qualifies Ronnell. Also, it's a gorgeous song.  She also co-wrote "Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?" Her parents were Morris and Mollie Rosenblatt. Score one for our team. George Gershwin suggested that she change her last name. He ought to know.

50 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

"Willow Weep For Me" (music and lyric) certainly qualifies Ronnell. Also, it's a gorgeous song.  She also co-wrote "Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?" Her parents were Morris and Mollie Rosenblatt. Score one for our team. George Gershwin suggested that she change her last name. He ought to know.

Willow is lovely, are there hidden gems in her catalog?

55 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

Team? As in there is a game going on?Please explain? She should have changed her last name to Gershwin? 

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Team? As in there is a game going on?Please explain? She should have changed her last name to Gershwin? 

Rosenblatt is a Jewish name. In terms of ethnicity that's my "team,"so to speak. Gershowitz, likewise.  Harold Arlen (Hyman Arluck), likewise too. Cole Porter, no. :) But Mel Brooks was originally Melvin Kaminsky.

BTW, I just found the other day that Mel fought in the Battle of the Bulge, as did Henry Kissinger.

Also BTW, Ronnell and Gershwin were a romantic item at one time, and some claim that he wrote "Williow Weep for Me" and gave it to her as a gift. I prefer to believe otherwise.

17 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

Rosenblatt is a Jewish name. In terms of ethnicity that's my "team,"so to speak. Gershowitz, likewise.  Harold Arlen (Hyman Arluck), likewise too. Cole Porter, no. :) But Mel Brooks was originally Melvin Kaminsky.

BTW, I just found the other day that Mel fought in the Battle of the Bulge, as did Henry Kissinger.

Don't forget Raksin's The Bad and the Beautiful -- gorgeous. (BTW it is Raksin, not Raskin.)

BTW, Re: "Laura:
"The film's director, Otto Preminger, had originally wanted to use Duke Ellington's "Sophisticated Lady" as the theme, but Raksin was not convinced that it was suitable. Angered, Preminger gave Raksin one weekend to compose an alternative melody. Raksin later said, and maintained for the rest of his days, that when, over that weekend, his wife sent him a "Dear John" letter, the haunting theme seemed to write itself.[1]