BFT 223 - NOW BOARDING!!!

JSngry

28 minutes ago, webbcity said:

I listened to #2 again, the bass playing is definitely solid and it sounds like whoever it is, they're certainly a jazzist. But I don't have any illumination beyond that. I will say, that jingle is firmly lodged in my brain now though. Thanks? :D

True on all counts! That dude is just laying it in the pocket and covering the range.

and it's part of the Two Different Worlds thing as well!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MID-MONTH REVIEW + HINTS

TRACK ONE - Already ID-ed as Freddie Roach, with Conrad Lester on tenor. Freddie Roach has a little profile on this board Conrad Lester maybe not so much. Feel free to shine some light on Conrad Lester!

TRACK TWO - Already ID-ed as The J's with Jamie, who were actually an important group in their main world.

TRACK THREE - Already ID-ed as George Braith, who imo can never have too much light shone upon him.

TRACK FOUR (HINT) - We have identified the horn soloists, but not the tune itself, nor the source performanceSo...une chaussure confortable pour marcher dans le salle

TRACK FIVE (HINT) - The general type of music has been identified. The record itself (or more accurately, where I found it) might be able to be sleuthed if I tell you that it is very unlikely that anybody who was alive when it was recorded is alive today. It's that old. And yes, it is now on CD!

TRACK SIX  (HINT)- You should not feel bad if this music suggests a type of Strain.

TRACK SEVEN - Already identified as the latter-day New York Art Quartet with Amiri Baraka. I guess the audience here didn't grow up on Charlie Chan movies, especially the ones with Mantan Moreland as Birmingham Brown?

TRACK EIGHT - Sonny, Max, Kenny Drew. George Morrow, and Earl Coleman bring us back home, albeit with a different energy that with which we left. Earl coleman did that to almost everything he sang.

Plenty of time left for new participation and further comments!

I found it in a cutout bin ca. 1972 and wondered how much it would predict early Weather Report  Well, not much as it turned out, but still there are moments that are ahead of their time, at least in jazz terms.

Plus, the electronics were not commercially-made products. That's perhaps the most impressive part of it all for me. 

Here is the real Jog Falls. It's in India and generates hydroelectric power. Fitting! 

Jog%20Falls.jpeg

1 = The curtain is parting! The party is starting! Something very familiar and "show tune"-like about this head. Some of the phrases in the tenor solo are less conventional than they might sound at first listen. (Something about the note values, or internal cadence of phrases... the syntax). Also, not as gutbucket as you might expect. And I do like a false ending.

2 = Clever. And maybe more swinging than the tune it's based on. The organ is very electronic sounding, too, making it hard to date this (for me anyway).

3 = The "island feel" and sax timbre(s) tell me this must be George Braith. But one of his records, or a tune from the date he did with Big John Patton (BLUE JOHN)? Either way... the party is still going!

4 = Is that sample Mulligan and Brookmeyer? The horn counterpoint sure seems Mulligan-esque. Can't place the tune though. Some interesting looping going on here. 

5 = Toru Takemitsu? Lovely, whatever it is. And that includes the veil of noise.

6 = Also lovely, but I am stumped. Like the colors of the ensemble very much. Why did it take me this long to realize there's a synth on this track? Makes we wonder if this is one of Muhal Richard Abrams' 70s ensembles. It does not sound like Sun Ra to me.

7 = Amiri Baraka for sure. But with accompaniment from ... and alto and trombone I don't know. Eager to find out! 

8 = Earl Coleman, no question. And that has to be Sonny Rollins, whose solo is arguably more "singing" than Coleman's recitation (not that there's anything wrong at all with what Coleman's doing here)... I mean, that's a hell of a Sonny solo, which is saying something. I often forget about this Prestige date, though.

1 hour ago, Quasimado said:

#4 Serves me right - I couldn't hear it, and my French stinks - It's Soft Shoe from the Mulligan Quartet at La Pleyel 1954.

There ya' go!

A contrast-and-compare of the original performance with this... reimagining might be instructive for anybody who's curious about such things. What they did here is waaaay above the norm as far as this type of thing goes 

53 minutes ago, Joe said:

1 = The curtain is parting! The party is starting! Something very familiar and "show tune"-like about this head. Some of the phrases in the tenor solo are less conventional than they might sound at first listen. (Something about the note values, or internal cadence of phrases... the syntax). Also, not as gutbucket as you might expect. And I do like a false ending. I know that you dig Freddie Roach, and this is him, along with Conrad Lester on tenor 

2 = Clever. And maybe more swinging than the tune it's based on. The organ is very electronic sounding, too, making it hard to date this (for me anyway). I think it swings like a mofo! And probably with good reason! 

3 = The "island feel" and sax timbre(s) tell me this must be George Braith. But one of his records, or a tune from the date he did with Big John Patton (BLUE JOHN)? Either way... the party is still going! Yep! Already ID-ed above 

4 = Is that sample Mulligan and Brookmeyer? The horn counterpoint sure seems Mulligan-esque. Can't place the tune though. Some interesting looping going on here. Correct on all counts, although this is a TOTALLY unofficial record. 

5 = Toru Takemitsu? Lovely, whatever it is. And that includes the veil of noise. There seems to be a consensus that this ",veil of noise" is some kind of an intentional effect. It isn't! 

6 = Also lovely, but I am stumped. Like the colors of the ensemble very much. Why did it take me this long to realize there's a synth on this track? Makes we wonder if this is one of Muhal Richard Abrams' 70s ensembles. It does not sound like Sun Ra to me. Electronics, but no synths. And it's from 1968. You know this guy, but maybe not this record 

7 = Amiri Baraka for sure. But with accompaniment from ... and alto and trombone I don't know. Eager to find out! Previously identified, but .. are you familiar with Birmingham Brown? Or Mantan More land's nasty ass party record on, iirc  Laff? 

8 = Earl Coleman, no question. And that has to be Sonny Rollins, whose solo is arguably more "singing" than Coleman's recitation (not that there's anything wrong at all with what Coleman's doing here)... I mean, that's a hell of a Sonny solo, which is saying something. I often forget about this Prestige date, though. Indeed. I was going to use this tune anyway, for thematic purposes, but hearing it again after far too long..whoa, Sonny! An exceptional statement, imo. 

Thanks for listening, thinking, and commenting. Always a pleasure! 

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Thanks for listening, thinking, and commenting. Always a pleasure! 

My pleasure.

How could I not guess that was Amiri Baraka with the NY Art Quartet!? Sheesh.

And I just listened to that Gil Melle record. Oh well, I guess I didn't imprint on it like I thought.

I figured 5 was an archival recording, but now I'm wondering just how old it is!

Edited by Joe

Going to post the reveal next weekend. Any further guesses and/ or commentary are certainly welcome.

#5 is findable, I think, so one last clue - it's a reissued 78, and I have a recording date for it of 1903. It's both the oldest recording and the newest release of this BFT! 

38 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Going to post the reveal next weekend. Any further guesses and/ or commentary are certainly welcome.

#5 is findable, I think, so one last clue - it's a reissued 78, and I have a recording date for it of 1903. It's both the oldest recording and the newest release of this BFT! 

Jim, (only) with those generous hints could I do some sleuthing. Otherwise would have had no hope.

Tinyurl to avoid spoilers...perhaps track 1 of

https://tinyurl.com/bdesyuvb

Edited by T.D.