Eddie Costa - The House of Blue Lights

Teasing the Korean

13 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Thanks.  How is the audio?  Does it sound like a vinyl rip?

Actually, it is only one CD that combines House of Blue Lights with the Jubilee album Eddie Costa-Vinnie Burke Trio.  That company never has access to the masters.  I am listening to it now.  It could be from vinyl but there is little to no background static.  So maybe they pirated the Japanese CD?   The sound is pretty good.   

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

It's exactly what Chuck said it is. ;)

48204545f1.jpg

Yes, I have seen the record cover.  

So are my only CD options an overpriced Japanese CD that I will never find, or that twofer that was mentioned?

Or, I can find the LP and digitize it myself.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

After I had discovered Eddie Costa and had obtained several of his records I went on the lookout for the House of Blue Lights LP in the very early 2000s but of course no luck in finding a decent and affordable copy. So after a couple of years I picked up the Lonehill CD (though I already had the Costa-Burke trio LP on Jubilee).
I never had been aware of (much less seen) the limited ed. LP reissued by Jazz Workshop/Blue Moon (i.e. Fresh Sound) two years before the Japanese UCCU-6158 CD and 5 years after the Lonehill reissue (reissued in 2005 acc. to Discogs, i.e. 7 years before UCCU-6158).
Sound of the Lonehill to me is fine, visual presentation is ho-hum (but many "legit" reissues on CD are not better at all artwork-wise), and by European rules the Lonehill reissue IS legit (by now, anyway). So no qualms or quibbles.

As for (re)mastering, considering the apparently huge number of previous vinyl reissues of this record in Japan (acc. to Discogs), who knows which one Lonehill used for "inspiration".

Edited by Big Beat Steve

17 hours ago, John L said:

Maybe the only legitimate release was Japanese.  I have a 2-disc Spanish bootleg (Lonehill) called "Eddie Costa Trio Complete Recordings" that contains it.    

I have both. I think the Japanese mini LP sounds better but I've never compared it to the other. Plus it's a K2, I think.

Oh, and I must add the album is very good.

Edited by Bluesnik

Discogs.com doesn't list the version you have, though it does list five total cd versions starting in 1994 and last issued in 2018. The one that Chuck references is one of two in the SHM-CD format. Allmusic.com shows your issue was released in 2003.

It is not unusual for Japan to reissue the same title multiple times spaced by a few years. It's a part of the way their reissue program (designed almost entirely for the Japanese market alone) works. Sometimes there is a new master, sometimes previous mastering is used in a different format (SHM-CD, Blu-Spec CD, Blu-Spec CD2, HQCD, UHQCD, etc.) or in a budget reissue version.

Edited by jazzbo

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Discogs.com doesn't list the version you have, though it does list five total cd versions starting in 1994 and last issued in 2018. The one that Chuck references is one of two in the SHM-CD format. Allmusic.com shows your issue was released in 2003.

It is not unusual for Japan to reissue the same title multiple times spaced by a few years. It's a part of the way their reissue program (designed almost entirely for the Japanese market alone) works. Sometimes there is a new master, sometimes previous mastering is used in a different format (SHM-CD, Blu-Spec CD, Blu-Spec CD2, HQCD, UHQCD, etc.) or in a budget reissue version.

Thanks, this is helpful.

• 7 months later...
16 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Thanks for the Info. Missed the original Verve edition. It was not reissued  in the japanese MV vinyl series.

I once went over the house  after a gig, of that drummer  on the EC album, and on his living room wall was the cover of the EC Trio Live at the 1957 Newport Jazz Festival album. He then offered us some pot, and told us how a woman came on to him at a dept. store earlier that day. "You still got it". his friend told him. "You better believe it", he replied...

6 hours ago, sgcim said:

I once went over the house  after a gig, of that drummer  on the EC album, and on his living room wall was the cover of the EC Trio Live at the 1957 Newport Jazz Festival album. He then offered us some pot, and told us how a woman came on to him at a dept. store earlier that day. "You still got it". his friend told him. "You better believe it", he replied...

Nice story. Thanks