Loretta Lynn, coal miner's daughter and country music icon, dies at 90

sonnymax

A strong voice for a long time. RIP.

As somebody who grew up in racist redneck country and as a result dismissed pretty much all Country Music via guilt-by-association for far too long, all I can say about Lorretta Lynn when she was going full on STRONG, all I can say is...wow.

In my early 20s, I inherited a large record collection from my wife's Great Aunt Carrie.  The collection had belonged to Carrie's daughter Marie, who had died in the late-1960s.

Marie's main interest was country music.  Her collection was full of stuff that, for the most part, had never been on my radar before.

Of all the music that I discovered among those LPs, Loretta Lynn's was the most powerful.

She was an amazing singer.

I´m not really familiar, but wasn´t "coalminers daughter" a film ? About a girl who wanted to become a singer ? 

I saw that film many many many years ago in România on TV, the romanian title is "Fiica Minerului" and it was shown with subtitles. I remember though I don´t really like country music, there was some very fine stuff, somehow else than the usual country, there was something that sounded like if it had some jazz or blues also in it ..... very fine. That´s how it was, you could see subtitled films, mostly older films.....

1 hour ago, danasgoodstuff said:

Yes Coalminer's Daughter was a film about Loretta, starring Sissy Spacek who IIRC did her own singing.

Ah that´s it, I remember ! It was a blonde actress if I remember right and yeah she sang. But I didn´t even know it was about Loretta about whom I hadn´t heard until now....

9 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

Yes Coalminer's Daughter was a film about Loretta, starring Sissy Spacek who IIRC did her own singing.

It's been quite a long time since I saw that film but one scene that stuck in my memory (because I found it somewhat unsettling) was when Loretta (i.e. Sissy Spacek) in her very young years was introduced to the public on stage by a eerily aged- and weary-looking Ernest Tubb (whose decades of life on the road had become engrained in his face by his later years - as in 1980). It was an impressive scene because Ernest Tubb DID have a huge stage presence but this age mismatch of someone who clearly would have appeared more zestful in the early 60s was painfully obvious.

Edited by Big Beat Steve