Guitar and Big Band/Large Ensemble

Milestones

I would like to get some recommendations here.

It seems that in the big band era the guitar almost never had a solo spotlight.  Even Charlie Christian appeared mostly with Goodman small groups.  I guess Gil Evans eventually used guitar a lot, though I've never been drawn much to his later work.

I know CTI and other labels featured a large band behind Kenny Burrell.  I'd rather listen to Kenny with Gerald Wilson (for Kenny's 75th birthday).

Dave Stryker has done two big band projects, 25 years apart.

I don't think the format will be something I greatly enjoy, but more a change of pace (taste).

Ray Russell and Chris Spedding both had solo room in Michael Gibbs' orchestra at the beginning of the 70s. 

Graham Collier's bands often featured guitar, usually Ed Speight, 

the London Jazz Composers Orchestra had Derek Bailey in its early days (although more of a textural voice)... for that matter, Larry Coryell rips in the Jazz Composers Orchestra (US) silver box.

Windmill Tilter, Kenny Wheeler's beautiful Fontana debut, has some great John McLaughlin, and Derek is on the Incus Records follow-up called Song for Someone.

Barry Galbraith - Guitar And The Wind, maybe?

1 hour ago, clifford_thornton said:

Ray Russell and Chris Spedding both had solo room in Michael Gibbs' orchestra at the beginning of the 70s. 

Graham Collier's bands often featured guitar, usually Ed Speight, 

the London Jazz Composers Orchestra had Derek Bailey in its early days (although more of a textural voice)... for that matter, Larry Coryell rips in the Jazz Composers Orchestra (US) silver box.

Windmill Tilter, Kenny Wheeler's beautiful Fontana debut, has some great John McLaughlin, and Derek is on the Incus Records follow-up called Song for Someone.

Some great music across those selections

John Abercrombie featured in Kenny Wheeler's Large Ensemble and then John Paracelli later on

Edited by mjazzg