Lou Donaldson Boulevard

Michael Weiss

On 16.10.2022 at 0:22 PM, Dan Gould said:

Very nice, and turning 96 in just two weeks!

He must have been in his late 80´s when I saw him the last time. He still looked and played like a man at least 20-25years younger, really astonishing and the only sign of age was the set list which was almost identical in later years. But to play "Wee" and "Fine and Dandy" at that speed...... amazing. 
It was late enough that I heard him live for the first time. It must have been in the mid 80´s and he must have been in his late 50´s or around 60 years old. 
I remember he played an ultra fast version of "Cheek to Cheek".....a tune that I love to play, or play a bop line based on that standard. 72 bars, AABCA form, easy cheesy

It’s great to hear that he is still going strong and being recognised in this way. A great living link to the Blue Note of yore. I think the time I saw him at Jazz Cafe, Camden circa 2005 must have been one of his last live UK appearances. The late Dr Lonnie was on B3 that night so double bonus. Lou played a real mix of stuff, from ‘Blues Walk’ to ‘Alligator Bogaloo’ plus his usual dig at the fusion mob.

42 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

It’s great to hear that he is still going strong and being recognised in this way. A great living link to the Blue Note of yore. I think the time I saw him at Jazz Cafe, Camden circa 2005 must have been one of his last live UK appearances. The late Dr Lonnie was on B3 that night so double bonus. Lou played a real mix of stuff, from ‘Blues Walk’ to ‘Alligator Bogaloo’ plus his usual dig at the fusion mob.

That means the last time I saw him was in 2013 at Porgy&Bess. Same playlist: Blues Walk, Alligator Boogaloo, Over The Rainbow, Wee, Fine and Dandy, Whiskey Drinkin´ Woman......,

And the rap "not recommended to fusion or confusion musicians" was there, it was always since the first time I saw him in 1985. Then he had Herman Foster on piano, huge block chords.

On the last occasion it was a japanese girl on organ that was great. The guitar player was the same who was always. The drummer was also japanese. 
Lou was 87 then. 

The other thing I remember of that Jazz Cafe appearance standing pretty near to Dr Lonnie was Steve Winwood stood right next to me diggin’ it like hell. Also Lonnie entering the venue front door just before the gig started carrying two Tesco supermarket carrier bags. Must have just stocked up on his groceries !

Edited by sidewinder