Jimmy Smith at the Organ - Budget LP on Wyncote

Teasing the Korean

14 minutes ago, Brad said:

According to Discogs Wyncote acted as a distributor for this record. I don’t recognize most of the artists listed under Wyncote so I’m assuming they were pop. Very little jazz.

https://www.discogs.com/label/33936-Wyncote?page=14

Wyncote was a budget label for Cameo/Parkway.  They did some jazz, or quasi-jazz, along the way.

I had a copy of this Wyncote Jimmy Smith/Don Gardner record, and a copy of an even cheesier record on the "Guest Star" label out of the Synthetic Plastics Co of Newark NJ featuring 2 Smith/Gardner cuts and a whole bunch of Wilson Lewes Trio fluff, both of which I bought out of some dollar or 50 cent record bin in an east side Detroit party store way back when I was in high school or college. Unfortunately my roommate was a real prog rock head and hated my jazz organ records.  He threw both of these records and a copy of an old McGriff bargain bin LP into a toaster oven and baked them until they were smooth, and gave them back to me in their covers with "this is a coaster" written across the label.  Still have at least one of 'em, weirdly enough.

Edited by Al in NYC

1 hour ago, Al in NYC said:

Unfortunately my roommate was a real prog rock head and hated my jazz organ records.  He threw both of these records and a copy of an old McGriff bargain bin LP into a toaster oven and baked them until they were smooth, and gave them back to me in their covers with "this is a coaster" written across the label. 

Hope you did the same with his 'Tales From Topographic Oceans' !

"Jimmy Smith At The Organ" I think was one of those many many on BN from the mid fifties on. I really lost the trace. I never was a "organ freak" but I loved some of those Jimmy Smith albums, I think they were subtitled "The Incredible Jimmy Smith", like they had "The Amazing Bud Powell" or "The Eminent J.J.Johnson" .....
The Jimmy Smith I like most and still listen to is that session with Donald Bird, Lou Donaldson, Hank Mobley and Art Blakey. That´s the surrounding I like most. Or the "Sermon" though it doesn´t have a drummer as good as Blakey. 
From the trio dates, there is quite much of it, I have one which has a very fast "The Way You Look Tonight" on it. It sound´s a bit funny to me but is fine and grooves.....

On 10/19/2022 at 10:03 PM, felser said:

Hope you did the same with his 'Tales From Topographic Oceans' !

For some reason, that's the only Yes record that ever clicked for me. Until it stopped clicking anyway, which was about a year after it clicked. I do remember liking the arrangements. I alos remember totally ignoring the lyrics becausejust because.

I liked Yes's albums prior to "Tales" a lot, even the first two prior to "The Yes Album" (especially like the 1969 debut with all those cover versions). "Tales" was the first one that didn't really click for me, but I kept listening and have everything recorded through the 70's on my primary shelves.  I don't worry much about the lyrics, they're just there as a another sound ("Sharp!  Distance!  How can the wind with so many around me?  I feel lost in the city"  SOUNDS great on "Heart of the Sunrise", even if the meaning is, er, rather vague).  "Tales" just struck me then and strikes me now as spectacularly overblown.  The only time I saw them live (at Spectrum, ca. 1974) was when that album had just come out, and it was a tough listen when you were waiting for "Roundabout" and "Starship Trooper" and the like.