New Jack McDuff release - Live At Parnells

robertoart

49 minutes ago, robertoart said:

https://soulbankmusic.bandcamp.com/album/live-at-parnells

Great to hear about this via a recently uploaded Doodlin Lounge podcast. Sounds like a labour of love to get this to release stage. Wonderful news. 

Intriguing - but all those words and nothing about who was in the band? I have no idea who was playing with him back then but would be extra interested if it was someone on sax that I recognize.

Info on the Doodlin Lounge advises they have had to review the personal after the vinyl had been already pressed. Henry Johnson has confirmed it is not he playing on the recording. Whoever the guitarist is I will be interested to know. They have a great feel, lots of fine chromatic style runs a'la Benson and Martino, interspersed with some overt Blues phrasing and string bending. Indeed the guitarist does not sound like a young Henry Johnson. They almost have echoes of George Freeman at times, but it's definitely not Freeman to my ear. It is believed Garrick King is the drummer. 

Edited by robertoart

https://www.dustygroove.com/item/122190

Dusty hype: A fantastic lost link in the jazz legacy of Hammond hero Brother Jack McDuff – and a set that shows that he was still really kicking it strongly in the clubs during his later years, even if some of his records didn't always have the right groove! As on his 60s live recordings for Prestige Records, the vibe here is wonderful – in part thanks to drummer Garrett King, who was a regular partner in McDuff's group – and who always had the same sort of sharp, sometimes-playful sense of rhythm as the great Joe Dukes – Jack's famous drummer from the 60s. Together, the pair alone are a real treat here – really setting each other off as they groove back and forth – while Henry Johnson brings in some great work on guitar, and Danny Wollinski completes the group on tenor. We saw some killer late McDuff sets like this in small clubs, and can definitely promise that the vibe here is the real deal – wonderful work from our favorite Hammond player ever. Titles include "Fly Away", "Deja Vu", "Untitled D Minor", "Blues 1 & 8", "Walkin The Dog", "Another Real Goodun", "Greensleeves", "Killer Joe", and "Make It Good".

"""""On this week-long visit to Seattle in July of 1982, Jack McDuff brought his own B-3, 
a well-used early seventies model.  It featured a warning sign on the back, in red and black, 
that said "DANGER" and sported scary lightning bolts.

A wise warning. Jack was playing his ass off on these dates!  He also brought his Leslie 147, 
which featured a ripped woofer. The thing sounded fine until he would step on a pedal. 
"Buzzzzz," it said. He ignored it and played the hell out of the pedals anyway. 
You should ignore it too. It's funky.

We have so far not been able to identify the other musicians who played that week. 
Jack couldn't remember. There's much suspicion that the superb alto player could be a very 
young Andrew Beals. The guitarist and drummer are also great, whoever they may be."""""

april

make it good - walkin dog

greensleeves -starlight

gospelette

A train

wifes/lovers

[untitled D min]

Satin

Tunisia

Blues 1 & 8

Gospelette - Anoteh real Goodun

Killer Joe

April

Make it Good

Blues in the night

Lover man

Star Eyes

I love you

Deja Vu

A Train

Walkin dog

will they also be release Groove Holmes live at parnells 1982 the month prior to jack?

groove blues - rainy day

dolphin st

bluesette

100 ways of makin love

starlight- grooves groove

moose the mooche

licks a plenty 

MR MAGIC

MISTY

just once

allright w/ me

song for father

after hours

renee 

jeanine 

JUST THE TWO OF US
Grooves Blues

Dolphin st

Its impossible

Me nd my only love 

JUST THE TWO OF US

grooves groove 

Moose

Summertime 

MISTY
Starlight

MR MAGIC

100 ways 

INDIANA

Gemeni

Renee

Song for father

WHen sunny /blue

calypso holiday

Just friends

""""

Groove came to Seattle a number of times in the 1980s. The tapes below are the almost complete 
record of two nights on this first visit in May of 1982. Groove had with him possibly one of 
the greatest and most storied "organ drummers" of all time, Joe Dukes. Dukes made himself famous 
on a long series of classic Jack McDuff recordings on Prestige. He was a brilliant nut with 
absolutely killin' time. Just listen.

Speaking of incredible time, take Groove Holmes. Words can't do justice to his playing, and 
I wish I could comment on every song here, but nobody would read all that. So, about the 
equipment he brought with him: the B-3 was worn out and the whole thing wobbled back and 
forth as Groove played it, and his giant size made the organ look tiny. The output from the 
two manuals was split, which made possible the addition of a Nova Bass unit to the lower 
manual. This took the organ tones and added synthesized effects to them, then the result was 
fed to a stomp box called an envelope follower. The funky result was then fed to a wall of 
Acoustic amplifiers with 15" speakers and horns on top, no Leslies at all. The upper manual 
had another little stomp box added, a "Leslie effect." Didn't sound like a Leslie, but it 
added a nice juicy vibrato when wanted. The upper manual also had a wah-wah pedal attached 
to it, little-used here. --Willie Pettis (guitar)"""""

12 hours ago, felser said:

Jack McDuff - Live at Parnell's

OK so how come when I click on the little image I get this?

a1441619073_10.jpg

Is there something weird happening on my PC only?

And can't they get the drummer name spelled correctly? It's not Gerryck King in reality? His discogs page shows he played with McDuff among many other fine players like Ray Brown, Red Holloway and Harold Ashby, plus Joe Williams.

https://www.discogs.com/artist/430830-Gerryck-King?type=Credits&subtype=Instruments-Performance&filter_anv=0