Zappa 1972 box

felser

47 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I think my favorite non-jazz album from 1973 is Hall & Oates' Abandoned Luncheonette.

That's a very good album and the only Hall/Oates recording I own.

I think Stevie Wonder's Innervisions was a killer 1973 release. I'm not a huge fan of Stevie, but that album is really something.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 hours ago, HutchFan said:

IMO, there was all sorts of interesting jazz being made in '73, not just fusion.  Consider:

• Rahsaan Roland Kirk – Prepare Thyself to Deal with a Miracle (Atlantic, 1973)
  • Joe Henderson – Multiple (Milestone, 1973)
  • Eddie Henderson – Realization (Capricorn, 1973)
  • Cecil Payne & Duke Jordan – Brooklyn Brothers (Muse, 1973)
  • João Donato & Eumir Deodato – Donato / Deodato (Muse, 1973)
  • Ian Carr with Nucleus Plus – Labyrinth (Vertigo UK, 1973)
  • Woody Herman – Giant Steps (Fantasy, 1973)
  • Airto Moreira – Fingers (CTI, 1973)
  • Gil Evans – Svengali (Atlantic, 1973)
  • Marion Brown – Geechee Recollections (Impulse, 1973)
  • Abbey Lincoln – People in Me (Philips Japan/Inner City, 1973)
  • Terumasa Hino – Taro's Mood (Enja, 1973)
  • George Benson – Body Talk (CTI, 1973)
  • Norman Connors – Love from the Sun (Buddah, 1973)
  • John Surman – Morning Glory (Antilles UK, 1973) 
  • Flora Purim – Butterfly Dreams (Milestone, 1973)
  • Ray Barretto – The Other Road (Fania, 1973)
  • Billy Harper – Capra Black (Strata-East, 1973)
  • Tito Puente – Tito Puente and His Concert Orchestra (Tico, 1973)
  • Jack Wilkins – Windows (Mainstream, 1973)
  • Larry Willis – Inner Crisis (Groove Merchant, 1973)
  • Larry Young – Lawrence of Newark (Perception, 1973)

And that's just scratching the surface.

and / or

• Howard Riley Trio - Synopsis
  • Spontaneous Music Ensemble - Face to Face
  • Hans Reichel - Wichlinghauser Blues
  • Chris McGregor & Brotherhood of Breath - Live at Willisau
  • Cecil Taylor - Indent
  • Al Cohn, Zoot Sims - Body & Soul
  • Art Ensemble of Chicago - Fanfare for the Warriors
  • Michael Garrick - Troppo
  • Joe Henderson - Elements
  • Bobby Bradford - Love's Dream
  • Franz Koglmann - Flaps
  • Mario Schiano – Sud
Edited by Д.Д.

1 hour ago, T.D. said:

I think Stevie Wonder's Innervisions was a killer 1973 release. I'm not a huge fan of Stevie, but that album is really something.

Agreed, that's my favorite album by him by far.  Great year for soul/r&b and jazz.

20 hours ago, Д.Д. said:

and / or

• Howard Riley Trio - Synopsis
  • Spontaneous Music Ensemble - Face to Face
  • Hans Reichel - Wichlinghauser Blues
  • Chris McGregor & Brotherhood of Breath - Live at Willisau
  • Cecil Taylor - Indent
  • Al Cohn, Zoot Sims - Body & Soul
  • Art Ensemble of Chicago - Fanfare for the Warriors
  • Michael Garrick - Troppo
  • Joe Henderson - Elements
  • Bobby Bradford - Love's Dream
  • Franz Koglmann - Flaps
  • Mario Schiano – Sud

:tup 

and / or

• Gato Barbieri - Chapter One: Latin America 
  • Dollar Brand - African Space Program
  • Betty Carter - The Betty Carter Album
  • Don Cherry - Relativity Suite
  • Hal Galper - Inner Journey
  • Herbie Hancock - Sextant
  • Keith Jarrett - Solo Concerts: Bremen/Lausanne
  • Frank Lowe - Black Beings
  • Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire
  • Paul Motian - Conception Vessel
  • Oregon - Distant Hills
  • Joe Pass - Virtuoso
  • Sam Rivers - Streams
  • Roswell Rudd - Numatik Swing Band
  • Cecil Taylor - Solo
  • Cecil Taylor - Spring of Two Blue J's
  • Ralph Towner - Diary
  • McCoy Tyner - Enlightenment
  • Mal Waldron - Up Popped the Devil
  • Eberhard Weber - The Colours of Chloë

On 10/23/2022 at 9:23 PM, mjzee said:

I saw that same combo at the Nassau Coliseum on 5/18/73; pretty sure that Leo Kottke opened instead of John Hammond.  Zappa debuted (at least to my ears) the songs that would appear on Over-Nite Sensation and Apostrophe.

My favorite moment from that concert: Mahavishnu came out, and before the first song, McLaughlin spoke to the audience, telling them what a beautiful night it was, the vibe feels so good, and we should all take a moment to feel the silence, to become one with the moment, to prepare ourselves for the music that was to follow... and the entire Nassau Coliseum became quiet...until, about 20 seconds into the silence, some guys in the balcony yelled out "FUCK YOU!!!!!"  The whole crowd erupted into laughter and applause.  It was an archetypal New York moment.

4 hours ago, mjzee said:

My favorite moment from that concert: Mahavishnu came out, and before the first song, McLaughlin spoke to the audience, telling them what a beautiful night it was, the vibe feels so good, and we should all take a moment to feel the silence, to become one with the moment, to prepare ourselves for the music that was to follow... and the entire Nassau Coliseum became quiet...until, about 20 seconds into the silence, some guys in the balcony yelled out "FUCK YOU!!!!!"  The whole crowd erupted into laughter and applause.  It was an archetypal New York moment.

I saw Mahavishnu on the Birds of Fire tour here in Memphis.  The opening act was a new band making some headway with fans of Southern Rock, Marshall Tucker Band.  John McLaughlin's request for silence was met with much the same reaction.

2 hours ago, Tom in RI said:

I believe the Santana/McLaughlin Love, Devotion, and Surrender was released in 1973. I remember it being popular with my friends but I didn’t get into it at the time. Now I like it but I enjoy some of their live shows floating around more.

Same here, as far as liking some of the shows better.  Has always been one of those albums I respect more than I enjoy or play.  Also the cut n Santana's 'Welcome' where they collaborate ("Flame-Sky") is, to me, far superior to anything on this album.  This one always felt "cold" to me, though it's technically dazzling.  Plus the back cover is so creepy.  Be sure to read Robert Christgau's short review of this album in his 70's Rock Albums book.

Different Perspectives In My Room...!: CARLOS SANTANA / MAHAVISHNU JOHN  McLAUGHLIN – Love Devotion Surrender (LP-1973)

• 1 month later...
On 11/9/2022 at 1:15 AM, Rabshakeh said:

Still, a surprising thing to see. Maybe there's a Zappa resurgence out there among the youth?

AFAIK FZ has been cancelled in the eyes of the younger generations (millenials & more recent) due to his homophobic & misogynist lyrics - that's what I'm told by my children (27, 28 & 30) who were well versed in his music while growing up - they still like it & accept his faults

On 11/12/2022 at 2:15 AM, Jim Duckworth said:

Music credits for Jay Migliori

Jay Migliori was part of a Wazoo touring ensemble and gets a few solos (tenor and flute) on the live Wazoo.  I don't know if he is represented in this set however.

great release if you're a Twardzik fan

6 hours ago, romualdo said:

AFAIK FZ has been cancelled in the eyes of the younger generations (millenials & more recent) due to his homophobic & misogynist lyrics - that's what I'm told by my children (27, 28 & 30) who were well versed in his music while growing up - they still like it & accept his faults

I mean... It is pretty cancellable. I'm not surprised. Just surprised to come across a 32 year old who's really into something I had imagined to be of the long ago past.

1 hour ago, romualdo said:

back to the Waka/Wazoo box

I presume the 5th "Blue Ray" disc can be also played in a standard CD player

No, it can't, sorry.  Amazing box set by the way, you get "alternate" versions (alternate takes or alternate mixes, in many cases noticably longer) of all but one song on the 'Waka/Jawaka' and 'The Grand Wazoo' albums, some excellent George Duke demos, and a full concert by the Petit Wazoo group on the 4 CD's, plus a blu-ray disc containing remasters of the  'Waka/Jawaka' and 'The Grand Wazoo' albums, all for under $50.  This is an incredibly strong box, very little waste on it, and a lot of revelations.