Ken Peplowski plays Free Jazz - That's Right - Innuendo in Blue

AllenLowe

I am very proud of this one - it is from one of our recording sessions last spring - featuring the incredible Ken Peplowski on clarinet playing free, yes free. The only parameters are the feeling of the tune - Ken floats through the head, then plays a wonderful solo, though of course he is not the only one - this has Aaron Johnson alto sax; Lewis Porter piano; Brian Simontacchi on trombone; Kellin Hannas trumpet; Alex Tremblay bass; Rob Landis drums, and me on tenor sax. I was making an Ellington reference, of course, but the idea was to expand upon the idea of passing themes, and the master's ability to write melodies which seem, as I once wrote, like one long sentence. We call it Innuendo in Blue.

Edited by AllenLowe

On 10/22/2022 at 9:05 AM, CJ Shearn said:

Interesting. None of the Concord stuff hints at that!

Years ago when I firsr met Ken he said "you know, everybody thinks all I can do is Benny Goodman and Arties Shaw tributes. I have a lot more I can play - call me when you want to record."

So I did. I even have some things he did with Matt Shipp.

Edited by AllenLowe

4 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Is this going to get a release? (Hard copy, bandcamp or whatever?)

This will be out by spring as part of a 3 cd set on ESP. I will let you know as we approach release.

Since it's ESP it will also be available as download, but I'll have to find out the platform.

1 hour ago, Eric said:

Based on your recommendation, I bought this.  It is delightful!

Hey -- I wrote the liner notes  to "Inside Out" and had a good time doing so.

I particularly like my notion that the huge sound that Scott Robinson's contrabass sax gets on Sandke's "Plumbing the Depths" suggests "what Cleopatra might be like if she weighed 500 pounds."