Revolver

gvopedz

This was an incredibly prolific period for Morricone, and of course, we have to recognize Bruno Nicolai's contributions to Morricone's scores. Morricone was doing mafia films, giallos, and spaghetti westerns, among other genres, during this time.  We are fortunate to get expanded versions of these scores.  

Between the US LP, the UK LP, the original CD, the Mono CD, and most importantly, the Purple Chick stuff, I think I'm good here.

Great album, just that I'm done with it in terms of looking for anything new out of it.

The real revelation if you haven't yet heard it is "Tomoorow Never Knows" Remix 11...that might blow your mind, as the kids used to say.

Really enjoying this previously-unreleased, stripped-down (demo?) version of "Got To Get You Into My Life."  Still prefer the final horns-added mix, but hearing this makes me wonder why they didn't introduce it into their live 1966 sets (which included nothing from Revolver, ostensibly because it was impossible to replicate the music onstage).  

On 10/25/2022 at 8:24 AM, JSngry said:

Between the US LP, the UK LP, the original CD, the Mono CD, and most importantly, the Purple Chick stuff, I think I'm good here.

Great album, just that I'm done with it in terms of looking for anything new out of it.

The real revelation if you haven't yet heard it is "Tomoorow Never Knows" Remix 11...that might blow your mind, as the kids used to say.

Looks like it’s the second track on the second disc of this new box set. 

It took 2 CDs to do 75 minutes of music? Were they worried about inner-groove distortion? :g

Are you familiar with a totally unofficial online project called The Beatles Remixers Group? They put out a series of releases called "Tuned To A Natural E", 6 of them, iirc.Highly variable in quality, but the good stuff was exquisite. And the "Paperback Writer"/"Rain" record was fodder for some of the best work of the lot.

There's a lot there to work with in terms of sheer sound, especially "Rain". If George Martin was the 5th Beatle, then on that one, Geoff Emerick was the 6th!

1 hour ago, felser said:

Received and listened to the 2 CD set today.  Stunning, though short, about 75 mins total.  But essential listening, even if you have the original.  Also has remixed Paperback Writer/Rain.

John - is this the one?  Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/Revolver-Special-Deluxe-2-CD/dp/B0B7SK4117/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2SKT4KWH65ONJ&keywords=revolver&qid=1667096164&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI1Ljc4IiwicXNhIjoiNS4zOCIsInFzcCI6IjEuODUifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=revolver%2Caps%2C115&sr=8-2

17 hours ago, JSngry said:

Are you familiar with a totally unofficial online project called The Beatles Remixers Group? They put out a series of releases called "Tuned To A Natural E", 6 of them, iirc.Highly variable in quality, but the good stuff was exquisite. And the "Paperback Writer"/"Rain" record was fodder for some of the best work of the lot.

There's a lot there to work with in terms of sheer sound, especially "Rain". If George Martin was the 5th Beatle, then on that one, Geoff Emerick was the 6th!

Is there any way to hear these without subscribing to Amazon Music? That's the only way I've found so far. (Can't find them on Apple Music.)

I'm surprised that they're on Amazon Music! It was a totally unofficial thing. Besides remixes (some of which were done with materials hacked out of the multi-channel Rock Band video game), there were mashups, some dreadful, but some pretty arresting. 

Here's some discussion:

https://www.reddit.com/r/beatles/comments/srzevf/trying_to_find_and_preserve_work_by_the_beatles/

Google The Beatles remixers group tuned to a natural E see what you can find. Probably a lot of dead links, but who knows? 

36 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I'm surprised that they're on Amazon Music! It was a totally unofficial thing. Besides remixes (some of which were done with materials hacked out of the multi-channel Rock Band video game), there were mashups, some dreadful, but some pretty arresting. 

Here's some discussion:

https://www.reddit.com/r/beatles/comments/srzevf/trying_to_find_and_preserve_work_by_the_beatles/

Google The Beatles remixers group tuned to a natural E see what you can find. Probably a lot of dead links, but who knows? 

I'm not even sure they really are on Amazon Music. All I know is that when I found one of the remixes on the internet, and tried to play it, it took me right to the Amazon Music subscribe page. (From whence I went no further.)

Thanks for the reddit link!

1 hour ago, GA Russell said:

Jim, I'm glad you brought this up!  Are the rules posted anywhere?  

If so, please post a link.  I'd like to refresh my recollection.

They were once, and searching the board for the phrase "board rules" returns any number of results, including a few or more by the board owner.

If you want to refresh your recollection, I suggest doing such a search, because I'll be damned if I can find them now. I started asking where they were as long ago as 2017 and have yet to had them highlighted. My guess is that they were in a separate table of the database that got lost in some software upgrade and were never returned.

So if you want to operate on the premise that they can't be enforced because they don't exist, go ahead and make my day.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Board rules prevent me from linking, but there are links from some people that claim to have preserved at least some of the group's work. Google as mentioned above, and good luck! 

Oh, btw, the earlier volumes are the better ones, imo. 

This is from Vol. 4 :

I think this is safe to post because all the links are dead...if not, say something, please.

But when I got into all the Purple Chick stuff (and finally quite from exhaustion), I became aware of a parallel site called Lazy Tortoise: http://www.webgrafikk.com/beatles1/lt/index.html that defined its purpose thusly:

Companions to the Purple Chick Series, the Lazy Tortoise compilations pick up the non-studio items, such as live, interviews, and home demos.

The albums are sorted by year in the menu. Each album has a BootlegZone link to contents and artwork when available.

Lazy Tortoise discs are fan created and NEVER FOR SALE!!!

Seriously, if you pay money for them you were ripped off - someone somewhere sold what they obtained for free. Not cool.

These pages are for reference only.

The offerings were massive, and I did not have time (or interest) in going into all that...except this one:

september.jpg

01 Instrumental
02 Strawberry Fields Forever take 1
03 Strawberry Fields Forever take 2
04 Strawberry Fields Forever take 3
05 Strawberry Fields Forever take 4
06 Strawberry Fields Forever take 5
07 Strawberry Fields Forever take 6
08 Strawberry Fields Forever (fragment)
09 66-122 (John Interviewed by Fred Robbins)
10 Strawberry Fields Forever (guitar overdub 1)
11 Strawberry Fields Forever (guitar overdub 2)
12 Strawberry Fields Forever (demo playback)
13 Strawberry Fields Forever (vocal overdub)
14 Strawberry Fields Forever (demo playback)
15 Strawberry Fields Forever (take 1)
16 Strawberry Fields Forever (take 2)
17 Strawberry Fields Forever (take 3)
18 Strawberry Fields Forever (take 4)
19 Strawberry Fields Forever (take 5)
20 Strawberry Fields Forever (take 6)
21 Strawberry Fields Forever (take 7)
22 Strawberry Fields Forever (take 8)
23 Strawberry Fields Forever (mellotron overdub takes 3-7)
24 Tape Loop And Backward Speech
25 Stranger In My Arms
26 Mellotron Improvisation (1)
27 Mellotron Improvisation (2)
28 Mellotron Improvisation (3)
29 Mellotron Improvisation (4)
30 Mellotron Improvisation (5)
31 Jumping Jolly Pally Poodles
32 Your Hosts For This Evening
33 Woody The Woodburn
34 La Cumparsita
35 Brazillian Song
36 Pedro The Fisherman
37 Lucy From Littletown
38 Breakdown
39 Daddy's Little Sunshine Boy
40 Don't Forget The Apples
41 Chi Chi's Bar
42 Down In Cuba
43 Down In Eastern Australia
44 66-128 (John on Not Only... But Also)
45 66-134 (Beatles Interviewed by John Edwards)
46 Good Morning Good Morning

25-43 is a home recoring of John & Ringo jsut hanging out, probably getting high, and just in general having a good time.

None of it is at all "important", and the only reason I point out the existence of it is just to make the point that there is a SERIOUS BUTTLOAD full of already existing Beatles extra-released material and has been for several decades now.

I'm tempted by the notion of a surgical dissection of Revolver, especially an informed one, but...outside of the world of official releasses, the idea is not a new one. Far from it.

And I now wish that I had gotten these two:

september.jpg

marchjune.jpg

Long gone, at least like this.

5 hours ago, JSngry said:

Here's some discussion:

As luck would have it, I just ran across this last night, which has lots of detailed info about the Tuned to a Natural E series (but no download links):

Laugh - Tuned To A Natural E - The Birth Of Love