Blues Alley fire in DC, bldg *NOT* a loss at all, reopening tonight (Nov 1, 2022)

Just got a push-msg from the local NBC tv affiliate here in DC, of a fire that occurred at Blues Alley less than 2 hrs ago. Don’t seem to be able to link to the story (link only goes to NBC4’s app, and it makes you download the app to see it). It may be on their website later. Here’s the text of the story…

(Can’t seem to cut-n-paste the story from the app either. The story says it was just posted 9 minutes ago.)

I’ll see if I can find another source online, soon as other local sources post their stories.

maybe this cut-n-paste will work…

(Can’t select the headline to paste)

Georgetown club Blues Alley sustained apparently significant damage in a fire Tuesday evening.

D.C. Fire and EMS received a call for a fire in the ductwork before 6:30 p.m.

Firefighters found fire burning through the attic and roof, according to D.C. fire.

The building was evacuated, and firefighters brought the fire under control and ventilated the building.

Blues Alley’s owner told News4’s Mark Segraves the building is gone because of damage from fire and water. He said only a few people were in the building at the time.

Record-release shows by Owen Broder was scheduled for 7 p.m. and 9 p.m. Tuesday. Cuban trumpet legend and Dizzy Gillespie protégé Arturo Sandoval is scheduled for four nights at the club beginning Thursday.

(I’m assuming the owner saying “the building is gone” means a total loss.)

Here’s another story too…

https://www.dcnewsnow.com/news/local-news/washington-dc/fire-at-blues-alley-club-in-dc/amp/

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Was this the DC club that I saw Betty Carter in ca. 1981? Seems like it was? If it wasn't called Jazz Alley, then this was it.

I can guarantees you that no matter how intense the fire was, it would not be as intense as the glares that Betty Carter was giving her band that night. I was sitting behind the band and saw every one of them.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

I can guarantees you that no matter how intense the fire was, it would not be as intense as the glares that Betty Carter was giving her band that night. I was sitting behind the band and saw every one of them.

Was BC glaring at the band because they were messing up? Or for some other reason?

From EVERYTHING I've heard, Betty Carter was DEEP into the moment. She always had young bands and had no compunctions about schooling them on the stand. Not verbally, but through stuff like looks and gestures.

When she wanted to go somewhere, she wanted to go there RIGHT NOW, if you know what I mean. And when you got there, she would also let you know with her looks.

It wasn't a gig for the easily-bruised sorts, but jesus, you could not get a better schooling, imo. Look at who all came up through her bands.

I have every bit of respect for a leader who operates like that. No bullshit or halfstepping of otherwise tolerating less than GETTING THERE.

As Serious As Your Life indeed, totally.

Some encouraging news from Blues Alley:

"Blues Alley is temporarily closed due to last night’s unfortunate occurrence, they are currently assessing the damage and how long it will take to re-open. Some news reports have exaggerated the severity of the water damage which is confined to the 2nd floor and roof only. The club will re-open very soon.
Any shows cancelled will be rescheduled as soon as possible and we ask you to wait before requesting a refund until the new date is confirmed. If you can’t make the rescheduled date then a refund will be given. We appreciate your patience on this and more information will be available soon."

Glad to hear it is able to re-open so quickly.

I just hope they didn't cut too many corners to get open so quickly. They mention water damage. Water damage needs to be repaired the same as fire damage or it can cause problems in the future. Wet wood & sheet rock molds and rots. Black mold can cause health problems and rotted wood can fail. If they don't fix the water damage at some point, they might eventually find themselves in bigger trouble later.

• 4 months later...