Sony/Legacy sets on "Music on CD"

Dutch label Music on CD is reissuing some 10/12-year old sets previously on Sony/Legacy (more to come, I presume):

I've got the Ellington (I missed it the first time it came out) and from the small print it is a verbatim reissue of the 2012 set (which was discussed elsewhere in these forums).

F

On a jazz listening thread I started on another forum years ago a poster has said he got the Ellington and one disc was duplicating another (though labeled correctly). He asked for a replacement set . . . same problem. I hope it's an isolated issue as that is a fantastic box set.

Edited by jazzbo

I have them all except the Desmond (have the earlier box set with the same material).  Every one of them is well done.  There are other sets which could/should also be reissued.  Weather Report Vol. 1, Woody Shaw, Return to Forever, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Stanley Clarke, George Duke, Brubeck come immediately to mind. 

Edited by felser

1 hour ago, felser said:

There are other sets which could/should also be reissued.  Weather Report Vol. 1

That's one I would be interested in too. Was lucky enough to snatch Vol. 2, but couldn't find a copy of the first box, which covers I believe 1970-75. And since it's from 2012, I guess, I was hoping it might get reissued in 2022.

9 hours ago, jazzbo said:

On a jazz listening thread I started on another forum years ago a poster has said he got the Ellington and one disc was duplicating another (though labeled correctly). He asked for a replacement set . . . same problem. I hope it's an isolated issue as that is a fantastic box set.

I had the same issue. Rather than return the set to the vendor, I reached out to Music on CD directly via their website. They responded quickly and offered to send a corrected disc, so they must be aware of the problem. Fingers crossed.

The Dexter box must be good, I heard the CBS-All-Stars in Montreux and it was great to hear Dexter or other acoustic aera giants combined with first hand masters of electric jazz like Bob James and George Duke, Billy Cobham and so on and it was nice to hear fusion-associated musicians playing straight ahead and on the other hand hear a Stan Getz doing Night Crawler with Bob James....
I remember those times very well, the slow resurection of acoustic jazz just at that beginning opended space for such "marriages of acoustic and electric", you also can hear it on stuff of J.J. Johnson-Nat Adderly combined with people like Billy Childs......just wonderful, and quite overlooked now.....

9 hours ago, ianfaith said:

I had the same issue. Rather than return the set to the vendor, I reached out to Music on CD directly via their website. They responded quickly and offered to send a corrected disc, so they must be aware of the problem. Fingers crossed.

Glad that was corrected!

9 hours ago, ianfaith said:

Thanks jazzbo and ianfaith! I just checked and indeed in my copy "Bal Masque" has the music of "Indigos"!

We'll see how it goes.

18 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Two caveats; The first Duke box repeated an editing error in Such Sweet Thunder and the 2nd Ellington box stopped 2 titles short by ignoring All American In Jazz and Midnight In Paris.

About the first one, yes: As far as I can tell, they're all new masters by Mark Wilder and Maria Triana (Battery Park Studios), except for the Rosemary Clooney, Such Sweet Thunder, and Black, Brown and Beige, which are, respectively, verbatim copies of CK65506 (Didier C. Deutsch), and Phil Schaap's CK65568 and CK65566 (hence the wrong coda on "Up and Down"—a pity that this wasn't corrected, given that Sony does have a digital master of the correct one, released on the compilation Ralph Ellison - Living with Music, CK 85935).

F

On 28/10/2022 at 0:26 AM, Fer Urbina said:

About the first one, yes: As far as I can tell, they're all new masters by Mark Wilder and Maria Triana (Battery Park Studios), except for the Rosemary Clooney, Such Sweet Thunder, and Black, Brown and Beige, which are, respectively, verbatim copies of CK65506 (Didier C. Deutsch), and Phil Schaap's CK65568 and CK65566 (hence the wrong coda on "Up and Down"—a pity that this wasn't corrected, given that Sony does have a digital master of the correct one, released on the compilation Ralph Ellison - Living with Music, CK 85935).

F

Isn't the correct LP master (tk #12) on the 1991 Euro CD (469140-2) of SST while it's tk #1 on the US 1999 (65568) disc plus the box set

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2022 at 11:38 AM, Fer Urbina said:

Thanks jazzbo and ianfaith! I just checked and indeed in my copy "Bal Masque" has the music of "Indigos"!

We'll see how it goes.

I wrote to MusiconCD through their contact page and they have delivered the correct CD.

Thanks again for the heads up!

F