Lest We Forget: Percy France - NYC Jazz Record

Back in June, the NYC Jazz Record, a free publication with approximately 23,000 monthly readers, solicited a "Lest We Forget" column for NYC native Percy France.  My submission was selected from possibly dozens of others and the piece runs in the November issue, available online today and in print at clubs, record stores, music stores and academic music departments on Tuesday. I am beyond thrilled to share the word about Percy, not to mention as a non-writer, having my name on the byline for a significant jazz publication. This is the next best thing short of convincing the NYT to run an obit in their series of people overlooked at the time of their passing.

(The published version had only one substantive change by the editor and it unfortunately introduced a glaring error:  Oliver Jackson is identified as a pianist.  Great thanks are owed to board members @clifford_thornton and @Ken Dryden for their help and advice when I was writing the piece.)

New edit to say that the online version is corrected and my image updated (he figures he somehow thought of pianist Oliver Jones) and a correction will be issued in the December issue.

http://nycjazzrecord.com/issues/tnycjr202211.pdf

LEST-WE-FORGET-NYCJAZZRECORD-COVER.jpg

LEST-WE-FORGET-TEAR-SHEET1.jpg

LEST-WE-FORGET-TEAR-SHEET2.jpg

Edited by Dan Gould

On 29.10.2022 at 6:12 PM, Dan Gould said:

Back in June, the NYC Jazz Record, a free publication with approximately 23,000 monthly readers, solicited a "Lest We Forget" column for NYC native Percy France.  My submission was selected from possibly dozens of others and the piece runs in the November issue, available online today and in print at clubs, record stores, music stores and academic music departments on Tuesday. I am beyond thrilled to share the word about Percy, not to mention as a non-writer, having my name on the byline for a significant jazz publication. This is the next best thing short of convincing the NYT to run an obit in their series of people overlooked at the time of their passing.

(The published version had only one substantive change by the editor and it unfortunately introduced a glaring error:  Oliver Jackson is identified as a pianist.  Great thanks are owed to board members @clifford_thornton and @Ken Dryden for their help and advice when I was writing the piece.)

Congratulations!
Unsung heros receiving some documented recognition is a very worthy cause.
And I can imagine how annoying it must feel when an "editor" interferes with the contents and makes matters worse. Has happened to me and friends of mine in a totally different "special-interest" area too. ;)

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, andybleaden said:

After all these years Dan well done

Thank you Andy. I've been following the traffic stats this month and there has been a very nice jump in number of visitors as well as time spent on the memorial site. Going to wait until December 1 to tally it all up though.