Jazz Cruises

tranemonk

1 hour ago, tranemonk said:

Seriously has anybody here taken any of these? Are they any good? My daughter is off to college next year and I'm starting to think about stuff to do as a single empty nester...

https://thejazzcruise.com/

As currently listed for 2023:

"Joey DeFrancesco is Ready to Sail on the Jazz Cruise '23."

I believe that ship has sailed.

Pre-Covid I went on a couple of cruises.  Generally ok. They weren’t jazz themed but on the last there was a jazz band playing one evening and that was a lot of fun.

However, since we now live in a Covid age, I wouldn’t go on one again, at least for the foreseeable future. 

14 hours ago, tranemonk said:

I'll take this as a general no...

Okay let me try a different bucket list question...

Anyone gone to any of the following jazz festivals and was it worth it? Montreux, Monterey, New Orleans, Detroit, or Chicago? Trying to give myself an empty nester gift next year,

The one on my bucket list is the Umbria Jazz Festival in Italy. I've wanted to go to that festival for years.

I did go to the Marciac Jazz Festival in France many years ago (~1998) and that was not something I'd repeat.

Many, many years ago, I booked myself & my wife on a Jazz cruise. Gerry Mulligan, who I never saw, was the headliner. Life interceded so I had to cancel and it turned out to be Gerry's last few shows before he died. I've still yet to go on a Jazz cruise. Maybe someday.

I’ve been to the Monterey festival many times.  Started in ’95 for a few years then from ’01 to ’21 I went every year.  It’s always been great.  There’s one large outdoor venue and five (at least) smaller indoor sites.  Biggest problem is wanting to be in two (or three) different places at the same time.  Lots of food and vendors and the weather is usually fine (but definitely chilly at night).  The last ten years or so I’ve really enjoyed the indoor shows over the big headlining “arena” shows.  Also really enjoy the panel discussions with the musicians, the on-stage Downbeat blind fold tests and things like that.  Last year was cut way back due to Covid.  No indoor stuff at all.  I didn’t go this year because, even though it expanded a little, it still wasn’t back to normal.  Hopefully it’ll be back next year.

Edited by trane123