BFT224 is now open

webbcity

On 11/1/2022 at 5:18 PM, Dub Modal said:

1 - Reminds me of a Chico Hamilton record with the hollerin' but it ain't him. I've heard this before but can't place it. The drums and bass really drive the hell out of this song and I like it. 

Yes, they sure do. I gather you've seen the IDs so far so you know it's not Chico. But since you mention it, I would appreciate a Chico recommendation! What d'ya got?

2 - I like the song but for some reason the drumming style seems out of place, maybe a bit antiquated for the composition style? The bass player is on another planet in comparison. On that I'm thinking the drums hold the song's development back a little. Going to be a travesty of a take of the drummer is a Rushmore-esque legend but that's a BFT hot take for you. 

I do love your hot take on Tony Williams! Haha! I have definitely said some not very kind things about some great players here myself. :D 

3 - Familiar quote by the sax at the head which leads into a jumbled mess that straightens out quickly. Kind of reminds me of those Tyner 70s compositions but it's not him...there's a bit of a lull at the 3-3.5 minute mark, seems the players are being deferential a bit. The piano player comes in to bring it home but the sax/ensemble could step up a bit more I think...good song though.

Jim ID'd the main artist on this, but I think the rest of the band would be hard to ID (for me too), as they're not super well-known players...or, at least in one case, known for something very different from this. 

4 - I've heard this one too. From the Black Jazz label maybe? The Awakening? Nah...The electric piano and drums carry the vibe and the entire production. Is that a Bari sax in there? I like it :tup

Definitely in the Black Jazz vein!

5 - Nice tune. Solo piano is a nice change of pace. 

I do like this pianist a lot, and had only heard him in a supporting role for quite some time before finding this one.

6 - Old school. Bass player separate from the B3 means it's got to be Shirley Scott because it ain't McDuff. And if it's Scott, the sax is either Turrentine or Jaws. I'll go with Jaws. Scott, man she is almost ALMOST going off the res with with some of those notes. Keeps it anchored though. Who's the other horn player though?

You got it! And you know the other horn player now too.

7 - This is outside of what I typically enjoy because the vocals interfere instead of add to the song. The horn/drums/bass trio plays very well on the other hand. This is something that sounds like it would work better in a live setting rather than this recording. At least to me...I keep thinking about David Lee Roth "I got it made, got it made, got it made...I'm hot for teacher" with the cadence of these vocals. Wouldn't be surprised if DLR lifted it from this song actually. 

That's interesting... now that you know the answer, I bet you'll agree that DLR most likely has NOT ever heard this! :D 

8 - James Bond theme song-ish intro. Is it a Shelly Manne date? Breezy composition but cohesively played. If not Manne (or even if it is) is that Tjader on vibes? 

You had the right coast, and I do hear what you mean about the Bond-ness of it.

9 - Big wall of attack on this song and I think recording limitations hinder how fully the sound of what they're playing comes through. Previn? Classical elements are there. 

Yes, not the best recording but I love this group and will take anything I can get!

10 - Is this Walt & Sun Ra? Can't be...can it? Has some barrell house or rag time throwback quality to it. But then goes just far enough from that to indicate an influence on more free styles of playing, esp from the pianist. Interesting song. 

This has been ID'd by Jim also, along with just about everything else :P

11 - Real Latin style in that I don't hear a trap kit - full percussive set being used. Vocals are disappointing. Playing otherwise is not. 

The vocals (or, the vocalist, more accurately) are what drew me to this originally. Well, that and the tenor player. And a few of the other guys. :) This has been at least partially ID'd but I'm not sure the vocalist has been mentioned by name.

12 - Reminiscent of a Hal Russell style. Not sure it's him but it's right there with some of the NRG material. Most aren't going to dig that electric guitar style. I kind of like the freak out aspect of this one. Short song probably because it has to be. 

A good reminder that I need to check out some Hal Russell. Have heard only enough to understand that comparison. This is absolutely meant to be a fun and funny freak-out (if the insane singing towards the end didn't give that away...).

13 - Very nice change of pace. Didn't expect vocals actually. Kind of a downer but not a deal breaker. The ensemble backing her works it seamlessly. A bunch of pros, or a pro at the conductor controls. Again, the kind of thing that would work better in a live setting but here the recording doesn't diminish the feel or emotional power. No guesses but this is great. 

Once again, Jim ID'd this, and the emotional power of this one really resonates with me. LOVE this track.

Thanks for this one! Really enjoyable and interesting experience.

Thanks so much for checking it out!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, webbcity said:

Thanks for the feedback! 

For Chico, there's definitely more experience on this board than I carry but I spent several weeks deep diving into his catalog earlier this year and really enjoyed it. Hard to go wrong but my favorites were: 

All 3 Impulse! albums 

The Master on Stax

Nomad (seriously good)

And then his post-2000 records:

Heritage

Believe

Twelve Tones of Love

I'm betting all of those Joyous Shout records are worthwhile actually. 

1 hour ago, Dub Modal said:

Thanks for the feedback! 

For Chico, there's definitely more experience on this board than I carry but I spent several weeks deep diving into his catalog earlier this year and really enjoyed it. Hard to go wrong but my favorites were: 

All 3 Impulse! albums 

The Master on Stax

Nomad (seriously good)

And then his post-2000 records:

Heritage

Believe

Twelve Tones of Love

I'm betting all of those Joyous Shout records are worthwhile actually. 

Check out the Columbia albums with Charles Lloyd and Gabor Szabo.

20 minutes ago, felser said:

Check out the Columbia albums with Charles Lloyd and Gabor Szabo.

Drumfusion playing now. Garnett Brown is on this one too :tup

Edit to add: it's excellent. Thanks for the tip!

Edit #2: looks like this has never been reissued on vinyl nor CD. I hope I'm wrong. 

Edited by Dub Modal

19 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Drumfusion playing now. Garnett Brown is on this one too :tup

Edit to add: it's excellent. Thanks for the tip!

Edit #2: looks like this has never been reissued on vinyl nor CD. I hope I'm wrong. 

That's a great album. Keep following felser's recommendations for more that good too 

23 hours ago, webbcity said:

11 - Real Latin style in that I don't hear a trap kit - full percussive set being used. Vocals are disappointing. Playing otherwise is not. 

The vocals (or, the vocalist, more accurately) are what drew me to this originally. Well, that and the tenor player. And a few of the other guys. :) This has been at least partially ID'd but I'm not sure the vocalist has been mentioned by name.

Jack Bruce came to mind, and there does seem to be a Kip Hanrahan album with Jack Bruce and David Murray.

1 hour ago, randyhersom said:

Jack Bruce came to mind, and there does seem to be a Kip Hanrahan album with Jack Bruce and David Murray.

A Bruce/Hanrahan cut was on a long-ago BFT, iirc?

23 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

All 3 Impulse! albums 

Old guy here...as far as LPs, there were actually...six impulse LPs. Still not sure how that played out into CDs.

18 minutes ago, JSngry said:

A Bruce/Hanrahan cut was on a long-ago BFT, iirc?

Old guy here...as far as LPs, there were actually...six impulse LPs. Still not sure how that played out into CDs.

My bad on that. I used discogs and searched Chico Hamilton but didn't include Chico Hamitlon Quintet, et al. which discogs doesn't automatically aggregate (frustrating - streaming platforms dont do that either). So yes, every Chico Hamilton leader date on Impulse! is worthwhile for sure. 

There's actually one that is kinda "save it until you have EVERYTHING else, and that is The Further Adventures of El Chico. 

LmpwZw.jpeg

You know, you want to give people the benefit of the doubt when judging their book by their cover, but in this case...I just can't. Maybe it's the disappointment talking.

Yes, a track from the same album was one of two Hanrahans on BFT 7 by Man with the Golden Arm.

Discogs is unaware of a Piano Choir album not on Strata-East, so I look forward to that ID.

4, 5 and 12 seem to not have a confirmed leader yet.  Both Thom and Jim IDed trumpet on 4 as Woody Shaw and webbcity has not confirmed or denied.

1 hour ago, randyhersom said:

Yes, a track from the same album was one of two Hanrahans on BFT 7 by Man with the Golden Arm.

Discogs is unaware of a Piano Choir album not on Strata-East, so I look forward to that ID.

4, 5 and 12 seem to not have a confirmed leader yet.  Both Thom and Jim IDed trumpet on 4 as Woody Shaw and webbcity has not confirmed or denied.

Confirmed.  The ID is still open, but that's because I only found it via sleuthing, so I didn't want to claim the glory.

Some thoughts on The Piano Choir.  Yes, would be nice to hear that third one.  The second Strata-East album was actually fairly awful, a huge disappointment (as were so many of the later Strata-East albums after the incredible first rush of releases they had).  I always liked the first one, had the 2LP vinyl back in the day, picked up the CD when it came out.  Very disappointed that they dropped 36 minutes of the vinyl on the CD (though I'll admit it was the right 36 minutes to drop if they had to drop something).  Their complete recordings would make a nice 3CD set for some enterprising company like Corbett vs. Dempsey.  

Edited by felser

I just played track 1 so far. It is from this CD: https://www.discogs.com/release/14121684-Kahil-ElZabars-Ritual-Trio-Featuring-Pharoah-Sanders-Africa-Nda-Blues

I don't really care for this track. First of all, the tune itself is primitive (yeah, I know it's Coltrane). Then, the main thing, I hate El'Zabar's drumming - extremely monotonous and clumsy with overuse of cymbals. One of the most non-swinging drummers out there, IMHO. Favors is not playing well either and his solo is just boring, at a loss of ideas (with totally unnecessary El'Zabar at background "support"). Both drums and bass are not recorded well, giving them shallow flat sound. Both saxophonists play well (and are easily identifiable), but not spectacular - quite predictable.     

On 11/1/2022 at 10:28 AM, JSngry said:

It seems like there might be an element of parody in there, like of the whole Norman Connors thing. Maybe, But the best parody is that in which you can never quite be sure, and this is definitely that. SO theatrical! I think there's a video somewhere of this in performance, this and "Honky Tonk Bud". I think...

No matter, Ed Wilkerson puts things together like few others. He should be a household name!

This?

IMG_4051_940x.jpg?v=1612958743

Hey all! Apologies for vanishing, crazy week here. I've been trying to catch up and it looks like you all made quick work of this. I think almost everything has been ID'd? Except maybe for that track near the end that not many people liked. I forget which number, I don't have it in front me right at the moment.

On 11/4/2022 at 2:11 PM, randyhersom said:

Yes! And it's a favorite album of mine. I have to give Hanrahan's other LPs another chance, but I don't remember any of them immediately grabbing me quite the way this one did. I'm a big Jack Bruce fan, number one, and it certainly only helps matters that Murray plays his ass off on this record too.

On 11/8/2022 at 11:59 AM, JSngry said:

Yep! Good digging, everyone who figured this out! I do own a copy of this coveted CD, bought back when the Piano Choir actually had a website for 10 mins. This must have been around the early 2000s though I can't remember exactly. It was very old school, I think I had to send an email through the website, to which I think maybe Stanley Cowell's wife responded? And a couple weeks later the CDs arrived. The other disc I ordered besides Handscapes 95 was a CD reissue of the first Piano Choir CD (minus a couple tracks that wouldn't fit on one disc). That one apparently is also pretty hard to find. No idea how many of these were made but I'm guessing not a lot.

On 11/8/2022 at 2:49 PM, felser said:

Some thoughts on The Piano Choir.  Yes, would be nice to hear that third one.  The second Strata-East album was actually fairly awful, a huge disappointment (as were so many of the later Strata-East albums after the incredible first rush of releases they had).  I always liked the first one, had the 2LP vinyl back in the day, picked up the CD when it came out.  Very disappointed that they dropped 36 minutes of the vinyl on the CD (though I'll admit it was the right 36 minutes to drop if they had to drop something).  Their complete recordings would make a nice 3CD set for some enterprising company like Corbett vs. Dempsey.  

Ah, I guess I didn't read your comment clearly before I responded above. Someone else who has the Handscapes CD! High five! I'm also disappointed about the missing tracks, I really love every track from the initial release (luckily I have the LPs too). As far as the second LP, I agree it doesn't compare to the first but after my initial disappointment I've grown to like a lot of it. But *very* different from that first record.

13 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

This?

IMG_4051_940x.jpg?v=1612958743

Whoa! I need this! I see cadnor.com has it... sounds like this is worth picking up?