Donald Byrd - Live at Montreux 1973 being released

felser

First ever issue of this material on December 9.  I am semi-interested, will spring for the CD.  On the one hand, you have the Mizell Bros. present.  On the other hand, you have Nathan Davis (!) and Henry Franklin.

http://news.theurbanmusicscene.com/2022/11/donald-byrd-live-cookin-with-blue-note-at-montreux/

Yes, this is an interesting new release. I pre-ordered it via cdjapan. Universal is also reissuing a handful of other Byrd dates as UHQCD. 

Donald Byrd
<< See All New Arrivals >>

[ CDA ] Live: Cookin' With Blue Note At Montreux [SHM-CD]  | Release: December 09, 2022 /2600yen

[ CDA ] I'm Tryin' To Get Home [UHQCD]  | Release: December 09, 2022 /1800yen

[ CDA ] Free Form [UHQCD]  | Release: December 09, 2022 /1800yen

[ CDA ] Mustang! [UHQCD]  | Release: December 09, 2022 /1800yen

[ CDA ] Blackjack [UHQCD]  | Release: December 09, 2022 /1800yen

[ CDA ] Slow Drag [UHQCD]  | Release: December 09, 2022 /1800yen

[ CDA ] Electric Byrd [UHQCD]  | Release: December 09, 2022 /1800yen

[ CDA ] Ethiopian Nights [UHQCD]  | Release: December 09, 2022 /1800yen

[ CDA ] Places And Spaces [UHQCD]  | Release: December 09, 2022 /1800yen

[ CDA ] Caricatures [UHQCD]  | Release: December 09, 2022 /1800yen

1 hour ago, felser said:

First ever issue of this material on December 9.  I am semi-interested, will spring for the CD.  On the one hand, you have the Mizell Bros. present.  On the other hand, you have Nathan Davis (!) and Henry Franklin.

http://news.theurbanmusicscene.com/2022/11/donald-byrd-live-cookin-with-blue-note-at-montreux/

I'm vacillating!! :ph34r:

14 hours ago, bresna said:

Not a fan of this, I'll pass.

I’m inclined to agree. My view of Byrd hasn’t changed since ‘75-76 when I first heard this Byrd/Mizell stuff - catastrophic drop in quality into the 70s. Compared to stuff like ‘Slow Drag’ from a few years earlier, I lost interest. Not through lack of trying to like it though.

That synth on the 2nd video sounds like a souped-up stylophone !

Edited by sidewinder

Oh my, that's a treasure... And after a deeper thought I'd say it's quite SENSATIONAL. I checked through his discography and it turns out that Donald Byrd have never ever released a live album under his name! (pls correct me if I'm wrong).

I guess he was a "I-don't-like-live-albums" kind of guy, especially after reading this piece from Don Was press release: 

Don Was, President, Blue Note Records: “Shortly after Mr. Byrd’s passing in 2013, we got an email from the noted British music icon, Gilles Peterson, inquiring about a legendary performance from 1973’s Montreux Jazz Festival. Inexplicably, the tapes had been tucked away in the Blue Note vaults.

Well, everything comes together for me now.

(Leaving the investigation) I'm quite thrilled about this album, tho I was never a huge fun of his Mitzell era. I enjoy the majority of transitions from classic post-bop jazz to soul/funk/rock driven electric version of this music, but with Mitzell's? I don't dig their singing and harmonies, as well their taste in types of synthesizers sounds. But this live version of "Black Byrd" is really promising, I hope the raw live atmosphere will take away those studio detail I don't like.

• 3 weeks later...