Charlie Parker Budget LPs on Everest

Teasing the Korean

A couple of questions on these:

How many volumes were there, and what was the source of the music?  Air checks or similar?

Have these been collected on CD?

Mildly off-topic, but is there a label other than Everest that went from being a high-end audiophile label to a budget label?

Edited by Teasing the Korean

Pretty sure there were five.

The first three first saw light on Le Jazz Cool. Vol. 4 was the Rockland Palace gig, and 5, iirc.was Dial masters.

Pretty sure that Doris Parker and/or Aubrey Mayhew were involved all the way. 

Oh yeah, 1-4, definitely airshots and other private recordings. 

4 minutes ago, JSngry said:

The first three first saw light on Le Jazz Cool. Vol. 4 was the Rockland Palace gig, and 5, iirc.was Dial masters.

Thanks.  I have owned a couple of these over the decades.  I think I have volume 2 now.  

I take it the LPs were issued only in reprocessed (fake) stereo and not mono?

Edited by Teasing the Korean

59 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Mildly off-topic, but is there a label other than Everest that went from being a high-end audiophile label to a budget label?

The classic example of such a label is JSP.  At one time, they were committed to creating the best legitimate remasters of historic jazz, and hired people like John R.T. Davies.   JSP then transformed into one of the worst pirate labels.  The quick copy that they made of the Bunny Berigan Mosaic, which required a lot of investment in gathering the best rare 78s, was a particularly low blow.  

31 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Vol. 1 was the first, and for a while, only Bird record I had. There weren't really a lot on the market then!

And to this day. I think it is of the best Bird records ever. The sound is not the best, but playing is! 

I had that but I'm not sure if I still do.  Was "White Christmas" on it?

5 minutes ago, John L said:

The classic example of such a label is JSP.  At one time, they were committed to creating the best legitimate remasters of historic jazz, and hired people like John R.T. Davies.   JSP then transformed into one of the worst pirate labels.  The quick copy that they made of the Bunny Berigan Mosaic, which required a lot of investment in gathering the best rare 78s, was a particularly low blow.  

Did not know this!

On 11/6/2022 at 10:01 PM, JSngry said:

Oh yeah, 1-4, definitely airshots and other private recordings. 

It took me more than 30 years to hear about the venue Rockland Palace. The music from that date was known over here as the album "Bird is Free", which had on the cover a blue sky and a white Bird. That was the early 70´s and there were many free jazz freaks around hear, but Bird kinda was their "James Dean". And many people bought "Bird is Free" because of the title with the word "Free". Maybe the bad recording quality, the somehow not always clear sound, the wowering piano, but most of all that incredible improvisations on the fast "Lester Leaps In" fascinated us. First shocked by the bad sound quality we all got back listening to that LP over and over again. 
I think it was two albums of that kind that we had , the "Free" and then "The Happy Bird" about the same time beginning of the 50´s , but better sound quality. Well time flies. When we listened to this stuff, that music was only 20 years old , and Bud had died only a few years earlier. Incredible. 

Sure I didn´t have the album any more, and my wife bought me the Rockland Stuff a few years ago as a CD with even more unissued material. I remember she liked "My Little Suede Shoes" . I remembered also "Sly Moongoose" from the original "Bird is Free". I had to laugh when I remembered that in the time I first heard it and saw the title, I still didn´t speak English other than from what I thought is English or from the old dictionary, slowly creepin´into the materie through reading liner notes. I had thought that "Moongoose" is the English word for Mogole, I mean for a man from Mongolia. So I thought it´s about a sly guy from Mongolia 😄