2022-23 MLB Hot Stove Thread

JSngry

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Took until now to realize how hard a thrower he was. And he finished what he started.

Does anyone recall a Saturday game of the week segment where Garagiola caught Perry, and he went thru the exact same motions, and one pitch was dry and the next, left an oil slick in Joe's glove? Hysterical - and it made you think.

The Mets made him a fair offer, three years at $40 per year, considering his age and injury history. The Mets owner didn’t get rich by throwing away money on a poor risk. However, if he’s going to convince some team to give him silly money, he’d be crazy not to take it. Most fans didn’t think he wanted to be here anymore, which is why he was approaching other teams. Either that or he was trying to get the Mets to increase their offer. However, since he never gave the Mets the opportunity to match the Texas offer, I’d discount that theory.

It’s unfortunate he won’t finish his career as a Met but life moves on. 

Edited by Brad

On 12/2/2022 at 3:35 PM, JSngry said:

RIP Gaylord Perry, without doubt, one of the great characters in MLB history.

HOF pitcher Gaylord Perry has died - Lone Star Ball

GettyImages-94733267.jpg

I seem to remember when he was with the Braves he faced newbie Dodger ace Fernando Valenzuela. Not only did he beat him, but he got a hit, too.

I am not holding my breath about the Braves re-signing Dansby Swanson. He should have fired his agent after this clown single-handedly blew Freddie Freeman’s return, which caused Freeman to fire him. But it is also possible that the Braves are playing cheapskate, as they should have signed him to a long term deal before now. Never underestimate the ability of ownership to alienate their fan base.

Only McGriff to HoF from this batch, and unanimously. Has any committee voted unanimously since they started this reconsideration process?

Anyway I am good with it but disappointed that Schilling didn't make it. I thought the committee makeup was in his favor. He fully deserves it on his career. The other stuff ... whatever.

Word is that Aaron Judge signs with the Yankees.

Not surprised, the Giants were always a long shot, no way the Yankees could afford to let Judge get away. Now the Giants can go back to their usual picking up DFA'd players, and guys who are "great pick ups if they stay healthy", eg. Mitch Haniger, which they never do, eg. Evan Longoria.

I assume the report is true and it will be interesting to see how much longer Judge is truly elite, not to mention whether the last two years or his first several are most indicative of his ability to stay on the field.

When will this deal become a terrible one, because at 31, a 9 year deal is going to go south eventually?

And of course the big question for Yankee fans: Will Judge become that mythical "true Yankee" and win a ring?

For me I am pretty certain the Red Sox will watch Boegarts depart and that will be a disaster.  Why John Henry had to become such a cheapskate I will not fathom. 

If he's going to go, I hope he signs with the Cubs, who had a strong second half and some exciting young talent. Maybe Bellinger is healthy and performs like an MVP again. The Cubs could be dangerous with some additions.

And I hate to say it but I think the Mets are smarter with Verlander on a short deal than deGrom. They are no worse now than they were at the end of the season.

Phillies picked up Trea Turner, 11 years $300M.   Since they let Jean Segura go, the assumption is Bryson Stott moves over to play 2B to allow Turner to play SS.  And Turner should be the leadoff batter.  Nice addition to the lineup.

They also signed RHP Taijuan Walker, 4 years $72M and LHP Matt Strahm.  

Will be interesting to see how they perform for the first half of the season, with Bryce Harper expected to be out after having Tommy John surgery last month.  

On 12/3/2022 at 6:53 PM, JSngry said:

The Rangers still field a team? 

Loosely speaking....

5 minutes ago, Aggie87 said:

Phillies picked up Trea Turner, 11 years $300M.   Since they let Jean Segura go, the assumption is Bryson Stott moves over to play 2B to allow Turner to play SS.  And Turner should be the leadoff batter.  Nice addition to the lineup.

They also signed RHP Taijuan Walker, 4 years $72M and LHP Matt Strahm.  

Will be interesting to see how they perform for the first half of the season, with Bryce Harper expected to be out after having Tommy John surgery last month.  

Love what my Phillies are doing!   They had a great stretch without Harper after Thomson started managing them last season.  Though Harper is awesome, and rightly beloved here.  He's done everything right, on and off the field, since coming to Philly.  Yes, Stott will move to 2B, which is his natural position.   Looks like he's gonna be a good one.   I really liked Segura, but they don't have a spot for him.  They could use an upgrade at spare OF and  some more middle relief, but looking good.  Watch out for Andrew Painter in their rotation at some point in 2023.  He's an incredible prospect.  Should be another 3-way dogfight in the NL East if Scherzer and Verlander don't age out into rotted pumpkins overnight.

This season was a blast as a new(ish) Philie fan!  We went to the NLCS game 5, where Harper hit the huge HR to beat the Padres and get into the World Series, it was an amazing experience.  Then went to WS game 5, also incredible, but not as good an outcome for the Phillies.  

I'm excited about the coming season!

On another subject, here's something interesting:  https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-reportedly-used-three-baseballs-during-2022-season-and-yankees-may-have-benefitted-the-most-171038470.html

Apparently there were 3 different baseballs used in the 2022 season.  Mostly "dead" balls, but the NYY got juiced, livelier balls that travelled further, especially when it became apparent that Judge might break Roger Maris' HR record.  

If trash can banging tainted the Astros 2017 championship, I wonder if this in any way taints Judge's record?

It's interesting that MLB also embraced sports betting a couple of years ago - I wonder what type of direct financial benefit MLB received from gambling, from things like records being broken.

Edited by Aggie87

That juiced ball thing is disconcerting for sure. And I find the whole DraftKings sponsorship repugnant. 

On to the news of the day for Sox fans (pending the apparent possibility that Boegarts will sign with them after all):

Kenley Jansen as closer for the next two years? I understand the overall appeal of a way above-average reliever but this guy has:

Declining stuff - check out average speeds in last few years;

over age 30

long-standing heart issues

Multiple post-season failures.

The team could be better with Tanner Houk possibly as swingman for 2 innings at a time or in rotation, Jansen will probably firm up the back end rather well. But if he stays healthy he'll probably give me a heart attack in the post-season because I won't be expecting much given his history.

Go to bed with the Red Sox having "Momentum" toward a deal with Boegarts, wake up to find out San Diego stepped in with a ridiculous 11 year deal thru his age 40 season, with no opt out and full no-trade. They can have him, even if losing him will suck for the next season or two, minimum. 

On 12/7/2022 at 3:42 PM, Dan Gould said:

That juiced ball thing is disconcerting for sure. And I find the whole DraftKings sponsorship repugnant. 

On to the news of the day for Sox fans (pending the apparent possibility that Boegarts will sign with them after all):

Kenley Jansen as closer for the next two years? I understand the overall appeal of a way above-average reliever but this guy has:

Declining stuff - check out average speeds in last few years;

over age 30

long-standing heart issues

Multiple post-season failures.

The team could be better with Tanner Houk possibly as swingman for 2 innings at a time or in rotation, Jansen will probably firm up the back end rather well. But if he stays healthy he'll probably give me a heart attack in the post-season because I won't be expecting much given his history.

Jansen’s ability to hold base runners is nonexistent. That contributed to many of his blown saves with the Braves.

Another article out today about the various balls used in MLB 2022.

https://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2022/12/14/23507579/mlb-multiple-different-baseballs-again-2022-yankees-postseason-goldilocks-manfred-gambling-scandal?fbclid=IwAR0ok29TGN47r7qfB29ZCDngpY5WNgvH8Xx6ooGP5azU5LuNkp9906AtD_c

So in addition to helping Aaron Judge achieve the MLB record for HRs (which potentially helped him receive a $360M contact as well), those balls may have helped the Yankees during the leadup to the playoffs, for seeding.  

I'm not a fan of cheating or favoritism, so this kind of stinks.  

21 hours ago, Aggie87 said:

Another article out today about the various balls used in MLB 2022.

https://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2022/12/14/23507579/mlb-multiple-different-baseballs-again-2022-yankees-postseason-goldilocks-manfred-gambling-scandal?fbclid=IwAR0ok29TGN47r7qfB29ZCDngpY5WNgvH8Xx6ooGP5azU5LuNkp9906AtD_c

So in addition to helping Aaron Judge achieve the MLB record for HRs (which potentially helped him receive a $360M contact as well), those balls may have helped the Yankees during the leadup to the playoffs, for seeding.  

I'm not a fan of cheating or favoritism, so this kind of stinks.  

Call me an unrepentant rube, but banging on a trash can seems an infinitely more honest way to cheat than this does.

Assuming that it's true, and of course it can't be, won't be, never could be ... :rolleyes:

As expected, the Braves lost Dansby Swanson, who got a huge 7 year contract with the Cubs (over $22 million a year plus a no trade clause). You have to wonder if they had made him a decent long term offer before the 2022 season that they might have kept him. I hope they don't turn to a weak-hitting defensive shortstop for 2023.

A $5 million + per year better offer than the Braves. Cheapskates...

3 hours ago, Matthew said:

This whole Carlos Correa situation is stupid beyond belief. I wonder who, for the Giants, put the brakes on everything? If it's Farhan Zaidi, then he should be fired. It wasn't a great signing, I wasn't too thrilled with it, but the Giants come of as incompetent in the whole thing.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions, and not feeling them as "incompetent" unless the Mets physicals leak with a "issue? what issue?" story.  For the money and length I'd want the management/ownership to be careful about the due diligence part of finalizing a deal.

For all anyone knows the Mets could be the ones suffering with a player MIA or even worthless, if the Giant's red flags are true. And considering the pressure on them to make a big splash, letting him go was not likely unless they really got buyer's remorse over the money/length and not what their doctors said.

Wouldn't mind seeing the Mets fall on their faces on this one. And its remarkable to witness their Steinbrennian-style money tossing. (Have I said that either NY franchise winning it all is a terrible result as far as I am concerned?)  ;)