When Organissimo Members Meet In Person

I met the members of Organissimo, Chuck Nessa and a member named connoisseur series (I don't think he is on here anymore) at an Organissimo gig in Ann Arbor in I think 2004, and Chuck again at an Edgefest show featuring Muhal Richard Abrams and George Lewis a few years later. Also was supposed to meet Chris Albertson at an event where he was going to speak (I forget the topic) in 2003 but I had to drop out. Everyone was nice and friendly! Good times

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/11/2022 at 7:57 PM, Aggie87 said:

Board members I've met:

Jazzbo, Shawn, Big Al, Rooster Ties, Vajerzy, RDK, Sidewinder, Soulstream, David Weiss, BFrank, Pete C, and possibly some others who's names are eluding me.

BTW, there's an existing thread with this exact same topic - 

Okay, but that thread is almost 20 years old. And now I feel old. REAL old. 😁

Since then, I've had the pleasure of hanging out with Jim, Joe & Randy of Organissimo; RDK, Aggie87, Chuck Nessa.

Edited by Big Al

8 hours ago, Big Al said:

Okay, but that thread is almost 20 years old. And now I feel old. REAL old. 😁

Since then, I've had the pleasure of hanging out with Jim, Joe & Randy of Organissimo; RDK, Aggie87, Chuck Nessa.

20 years ago.....time flies, but I hope that I´ll not feel old for the next decades , that´s what I hope.

I have met only one member , it is @bichos, who did post very much but rarely posts now. He came to visit Vienna with his familily, got some hours off and I invited him for coffee in my place. Since at that time gigs were scarce I didn´t have the opportunity to offer him an evening at a club, so I just played some tunes just for him on piano.

Now, maybe I´ll meet the one or other member in person, if they live in or near Viena or visit the town, when we play a gig at one of the about 3 jazz venues here in town.

I think it was around 2005 when a bass player who has since disappeared from the forum and myself had a gig in Vienna and met another member who called himself Rockefeller center at the Blue Tomato to hear the Flip Phillip Ed Partyka Dectet. We had a lot of fun and that band played great.

Besides that I met king ubu on two occasions and bought my first SACD player from another vanished member.

Edited by mikeweil

17 hours ago, mikeweil said:

I think it was around 2005 when a bass player who has since disappeared from the forum and myself had a gig in Vienna and met another member who called himself Rockefeller center at the Blue Tomato to hear the Flip Phillip Ed Partyka Dectet. We had a lot of fun and that band played great.

Besides that I met king ubu on two occasions and bought my first SACD player from another vanished member.

It´s strange but I have never been in the Blue Tomato, though this was not far from my place. It was in the 15th district. I´m not sure if it was a jazz-only club, but maybe they didn´t have a piano so I might not have been there. 
There was another club called "Miles Smiles" where I never was, I think it was maximal for duo, or anyway they didn´t have a piano or you couldn´t play drums or so. 

Besides the now existing venues , in the 80´s there was also "Jazz Gitti" in the 1th district, Jazz Freddie in the 6th district, "Opus One" in the 1st district, that´s joints where I played until they closed. 

Now somebody had told me there is another jazz club in the "Gürtel" Area (Stadtbahnbögen) which is called 1019 or so. But as I saw there is not only jazz and I didn´t see a piano on the stage photos, and it seems it is only "door money" so it might be hard to get professional musicians who would play for that. 

But nice you have been in my hometown. 

25 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

I love Vienna! When I get there again I will have to meet at least two forum members.

Yeah, it´s a shame I didn´t meet personally the two Vienese members, but maybe they´ll come to a gig so I´d meet them. So if you get there , we can go to one of the jazzclubs where there is live music.....

Nice to read these stories. As far as I am aware there's only one other user living in the Netherlands so no meetings (yet) here. If one would ever visit Amsterdam the ideal situation would of course to first make a stop at the Concerto Record Store and then visit the Bimhuis for a nice jazz concert !

Edited by Pim

22 minutes ago, Pim said:

Nice to read these stories. As far as I am aware there's only one other user living in the Netherlands so no meetings (yet) here. If one would ever visit Amsterdam the ideal situation would of course to first make a stop at the Concerto Record Store and then visit the Bimhuis for a nice jazz concert !

Make that two: J.A.W. and me

14 hours ago, Niko said:

Amsterdam actually, since this summer, I've even sneaked in ten minutes at Concerto this afternoon, it's close to here, a fresh look at letters L-P, bought the Hapless Child by Michael Mantler... Happy to hear from anyone who's around...

I live in Heemskerk. That’s 30 kilometers from your place ;) I don’t know where the other Dutchmen live but it might be a nice idea to organize a meeting, have a craft beer somewhere and talk some jazz somewhere in the future?

• 1 year later...
On 11/11/2022 at 6:57 PM, Aggie87 said:

Board members I've met:

Jazzbo, Shawn, Big Al, Rooster Ties, Vajerzy, RDK, Sidewinder, Soulstream, David Weiss, BFrank, Pete C, and possibly some others who's names are eluding me.

Had the pleasure of meeting board member Noj last night for dinner.  Had a great time, chatted about the old days when we all used to Live Chat here on Friday nights and insult each other while listening to the same jazz record.  

As a result or our get together, I may now be the only person with a copy of Organissimo's "This Is the Place" signed by all three band members AND the guy who did the artwork.

5 minutes ago, Aggie87 said:

As a result or our get together, I may now be the only person with a copy of Organissimo's "This Is the Place" signed by all three band members AND the guy who did the artwork.

There's a feather in your cap.

Miss Noj, I wish he were still posting.

1 hour ago, Aggie87 said:

Had the pleasure of meeting board member Noj last night for dinner.  Had a great time, chatted about the old days when we all used to Live Chat here on Friday nights and insult each other while listening to the same jazz record.  

Impressive! And that album is almost 20 years old now!

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

There's a feather in your cap.

Miss Noj, I wish he were still posting.

He does post on FB from time to time

On 1/23/2024 at 1:24 PM, Aggie87 said:

I miss those online listening/insult parties. Those were a blast.