High cost of Woody Shaw's BLACKSTONE LEGACY

Big Al

29 minutes ago, Big Al said:

Not according to the booklet. Then again, nobody I know can tell me what exactly is missing. May just be a couple of early fade-outs for all I know.

After accepting the guidance by Mr. Nessa earlier I`ve now rechecked on my own and the running time of "New World" on LP is 18.30 , whereas o CD only 17.06 .... so this could be it ....

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve had this date on CD for eons, but I have to confess I don’t feel like I’ve ever fully connected with it as much as I might have expected.

It’s still “good” — but (including ‘live’ releases) I probably have a dozen+ other Shaw leader-dates I reach for first a lot more often.

4 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

yes. the social media jazz cred thing is really exhausting. I don't want to hear anybody talking about it for a while. Luckily only true heads can deal with Steve Lacy!

Good way of putting it. #spiritualjazz® thing as it exists on twitter is pretty tiresome clout-chasing stuff.

So Blackstone Legacy was on Contemporary and its not even being whispered about in this recent Contemporary reissue campaign? Perfect record for that...

Moontrane came a little later on Muse and an LP of that isn't easy to find either. No vinyl reissues since the 70s. That one's on Muse - don't think anyone legit is reissuing from that label these days - or are they?

Well the fact that so called spiritual jazz appears to be cool and hip has caused a major amount of reissues in that genre. And I am very happy with that 

5 hours ago, soulpope said:

Btw we should talk here more about  Steve Lacy ....

Amen to that!

1 hour ago, Pim said:

Well the fact that so called spiritual jazz appears to be cool and hip has caused a major amount of reissues in that genre. And I am very happy with that 

Me too.

I think current & ongoing re-assessment of jazz in the 1970s--including "spiritual jazz"--was long overdue. 

They pushed at boundaries and tried new things.  Some of it worked, and some of it didn't -- but the best of it was amazing, imo.

Edited by HutchFan

19 hours ago, colinmce said:

FYI Amazon has the Blackstone Legacy CD in stock. I ordered one last year to replace my sold copy; I will check tonight to see if it's a CD-R, I honestly don't remember. 

This is indeed a professionally manufactured copy, so I'd grab one while you can. Not sure where they turned these up, for awhile this was a pricy OOP CD as well. 

https://www.amazon.com/Blackstone-Legacy-Woody-Shaw/dp/B00000IN45/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=woody+shaw+blackstone+legacy&qid=1668783806&s=music&sprefix=woody+shaw+black%2Cpopular%2C130&sr=1-1

1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

God forbid that a subgenre of jazz becomes cool or hip.  Jazz fans complain that no one likes jazz, and then they complain when people start to like it.  The mind boggles...

I was thinking the exact same thing!

15 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

God forbid that a subgenre of jazz becomes cool or hip.  Jazz fans complain that no one likes jazz, and then they complain when people start to like it.  The mind boggles...

I like the reissues. I'll take those. It is the insufferable Twitter posts about Pharoah Sanders weaving delicate filigrees made out of dreams, etc., that I would like to lose.

3 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I like the reissues. I'll take those. It is the insufferable Twitter posts about Pharoah Sanders weaving delicate filigrees made out of dreams, etc., that I would like to lose.

Whoa, not seen those. Bit of luck Musk will crash those accounts along with the rest of the platform 

5 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I get you. It’s one out of thousand reasons that I am not on any social media platform.

10 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Well, people write all kinds of naive, romantic horseshit about music all the time - not just spiritual jazz.  These kinds of statements demonstrate how little people understand about art and how it is made.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

3 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Well, people write all kinds of naive, romantic horseshit about music all the time - not just spiritual jazz.  These kinds of statements demonstrate how little people understand about art and how it is made.

Or how PR works to feed them the slop for which those kind of statements signal a potentially ravenous appetite.

Or how an artist can shift to playing to their PR instead of to their instinct. Which has absolutely nothing to with "commerciality". That's to do with intent. Instinct is something else altogether! 

On 11/17/2022 at 12:10 AM, Pim said:

I think Mark answer says it all. Been looking for a copy for a while but prices are insane. I stick with my cd version for now. 

I pleaded for a reissue in the 70th anniversary Contemporary series on the Hoffman board. But I don’t think it has much chance as the music is pretty ‘challenging’. Same goes for the beautiful stuff Sonny Simmons made on the label. 

They really need to reissue this, all the Simmons sides, and the Simmons-Lasha album the Cry.

Edited by unitstructures