Does anyone have a copy of Ornette Coleman - Prime Time for Harmolodics - Down Beat July 1983 ?

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has a digital copy of Ornette Coleman's article "Prime Time for Harmolodics" from Down Beat's July 1983 issue.
It appears it was republished online on WBCN's website, but the link has died.

This seems to be one of the few published explanations of Harmolodics, and I am really curious to read it if anyone has a digital copy.

Thank you

2 hours ago, unitstructures said:

That would mean the world to me!
thanks again

Drat, I seem to be missing 2-3 issues from 1983 (including July).

I thought my uncle (he subscribed  in about mid-1964 up thru the early 90’s) had kept and filed every issue, and he did for most years — but a few years have a gap or two here and there.

But I’m just seeing inexplicably he had  two(!) copies of the Dec 1983 issue — both of them with his mailing address label still attached. :crazy:

Sorry to not be of help with July ‘83 — unless it happens to be misfiled with some other year. I’ll try and look through all the 80’s folios later this week, and see.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Say Jim, since you have the issue handy, would you mind to post the Greg Tate article?  😊. Half, kidding, I am guessing it is in one of his reader books.

Back to Ornette, I love “Of Human Feelings” which I have never seen on CD.  Any other favorite harmolodic albums?

Edited by Eric

10 minutes ago, Eric said:

Say Jim, since you have the issue handy, would you mind to post the Greg Tate article?  😊. Half, kidding, I am guessing it is in one of his reader books.

Actually thought about it, but it's a two-part article iirc. And getting this stuff out of my closet should include hazard pay.... LOL

Still, maybe that's a thing to do over the holiday season. It was a good read then, and probably still is.

No promises, but...

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Actually thought about it, but it's a two-part article iirc. And getting this stuff out of my closet should include hazard pay.... LOL

Still, maybe that's a thing to do over the holiday season. It was a good read then, and probably still is.

No promises, but...

Oh NBD, thought you might have had it handy.  I would be curious if you or anyone has recommendations for the harmolodic material.  I have/enjoy "Of Human Feelings" on vinyl, never seen it on CD.

I like all of it, to be honest. That Columbia record might be my least favorite, but it is still a good listen. And yours is also prime (no pun intended).

It's a very close call, but for me, Body Meta would be the one to have if I was having only one. But Dancing In Your Head is the undeniable Big Bang and should be engaged and digested to the fullest extent of the law.

Also...don't sleep on the later Tone Dialing. It's not like the Prime Time records, but definitely build them out to some rather interesting and diverging conclusions. It's predictive of a lot of things to come, layers moving at different speeds yet still being coherent wholes.

And just for grins, check out Tales Of Captain Black. Just a quartet, but Fully Frisky!!!

On 11/23/2022 at 9:00 AM, Eric said:

Back to Ornette, I love “Of Human Feelings” which I have never seen on CD.  Any other favorite harmolodic albums?

Well I managed to find a scan (PDF) of the issue that has part 2. Not sure if I can find part 1 online.

DownBeat

I echo JSngry's sentiments on the Harmolodic albums, but I want to give a special shout-out to Charlie Haden playing bass-fiddle through a wah pedal on Rock The Clock (on Science Fiction)...

I have even heard a live boot (10/25/71) where he's using the wah! 

7 hours ago, unitstructures said:

Well I managed to find a scan (PDF) of the issue that has part 2. Not sure if I can find part 1 online.

DownBeat

I echo JSngry's sentiments on the Harmolodic albums, but I want to give a special shout-out to Charlie Haden playing bass-fiddle through a wah pedal on Rock The Clock (on Science Fiction)...

I have even heard a live boot (10/25/71) where he's using the wah! 

Thanks so much for that - I ended up reading much of the issue!  Joe Sample giving Monk & Coltrane 2 & 1/2 stars ... 🤔

I have an eye out for Body Meta.

18 hours ago, Eric said:

Thanks so much for that - I ended up reading much of the issue!  Joe Sample giving Monk & Coltrane 2 & 1/2 stars ... 🤔

I have an eye out for Body Meta.

Body Meta is a great one, such interesting rhythms.

I also suggest: Prime Time Live: Opening the Caravan of Dreams

This is also worth your time, could perhaps be seen as a proto-Prime Time (featuring James Blood)

Edited by unitstructures

I only heard the "Opening at Caravane of Dreams" one time. Is it out on CD also ? 

On 11/28/2022 at 7:31 PM, unitstructures said:

Body Meta is a great one, such interesting rhythms.

I also suggest: Prime Time Live: Opening the Caravan of Dreams

This is also worth your time, could perhaps be seen as a proto-Prime Time (featuring James Blood)

I´ve only heard "Opening at Caravan of Dreams" back then in the 80´s at a friend´s place and it was great. Is it available on CD? I remember there was a lot of fantastic stuff on it, maybe the best  Prime Time I ever had heard. There was also one tune where Ornette quoted a Parker theme, maybe "Au Privave" or something like that. 

And I liked the last track, where he plays violin also. I had that impression that his violin abilities had grown very much since 1965 when he first appeared with it. 
He almost sounds like a free jazz version of Grapelli. The violin is not my really choice as a jazz instrument, I had known it more as a gipsy instrument, but here it is great. 

10 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I only heard the "Opening at Caravane of Dreams" one time. Is it out on CD also ? 

I´ve only heard "Opening at Caravan of Dreams" back then in the 80´s at a friend´s place and it was great. Is it available on CD? I remember there was a lot of fantastic stuff on it, maybe the best  Prime Time I ever had heard. There was also one tune where Ornette quoted a Parker theme, maybe "Au Privave" or something like that. 

And I liked the last track, where he plays violin also. I had that impression that his violin abilities had grown very much since 1965 when he first appeared with it. 
He almost sounds like a free jazz version of Grapelli. The violin is not my really choice as a jazz instrument, I had known it more as a gipsy instrument, but here it is great. 

I don't think it ever came out on CD, only vinyl and cassette (I have the cassette).

If you are into downloads though there are some good LP transfers floating around.

Yeah, Ornette made some definite progress with the violin. I think Ornette had no boundaries in his musical conception. 

Thinking about Ornette's adoption of violin and trumpet reminds me of this recent interview I read with Denardo: 

Denardo Coleman – Like Father, Like Son – Jazztimes

I still need to check out Prime Design, Time Design, his composition string quartet (he doesn't play on it, but Denardo does).

Edited by unitstructures

13 hours ago, unitstructures said:

I still need to check out Prime Design, Time Design, his composition string quartet (he doesn't play on it, but Denardo does).

I have Prime Design , Time Design. though I am not really into strings other than double bass, I like the theme, the way it is played first by each voice, and then in the harmolodic quartet sound. The Free passages get very much interesting support from the drums, that´s what I like, I always listen based on the drummer´s work. And the ending is also great. The Theme is the same like the "New York" on Ornette at 12.