Tiny Parham

Late

How about this one (if a copy can be located)?

https://www.frog-records.co.uk/products/cbc-1-022?variant=32396355207251

Frog Records should be a sign of quality.

For those who are not averse to (or even prefer) vinyl, RCA released "Vol. 1" of Tiny Parham in their Black & White Series (Vol. 89) in the 70s. I picked up a copy of this at a clearout sale for the affordable sum of 1 EUR two weeks ago - nice ... There should be a Vol. 2, then (which could hold all of his remaining records originally released, except the 1940 session which was not on RCA) but I am not sure if this Vol. 2 was ever released. I have been unable to find it in listings of this series.

33 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

How about this one (if a copy can be located)?

https://www.frog-records.co.uk/products/cbc-1-022?variant=32396355207251

Frog Records should be a sign of quality.

For those who are not averse to (or even prefer) vinyl, RCA released "Vol. 1" of Tiny Parham in their Black & White Series (Vol. 89) in the 70s. I picked up a copy of this at a clearout sale for the affordable sum of 1 EUR two weeks ago - nice ... There should be a Vol. 2, then (which could hold all of his remaining records originally released, except the 1940 session which was not on RCA) but I am not sure if this Vol. 2 was ever released. I have been unable to find it in listings of this series.

This is the Timeless Historical 2 CD set. Sound restoration John R.T. Davies. It contains all master takes 1928-1930 and 12 alternates but misses the 1940 session.

Classics has all the master takes including the 1940 session. Neatwork RP 2053 contains 14 alternates 

I have not heard about Tiny Parham. Timeless ? I had thought Timeless is a label of more modern jazz. 

But I know the "Chronological" since I bought one that is Fats Navarro with all his Savoy Records as I remember. But they are lousy, they sent me the right CD, but the cover was Jelly Roll Morton (?????!). I had my younger boy make me a paper of the original Navarro logo and I glued it over the Jelly Roll Morton cover. 
I was looking for other Chronologicals but it was mostly stuff I already had. I think I have one other with Eddie Lockjaw Davis, also Savoy sides.....

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I have not heard about Tiny Parham. Timeless ? I had thought Timeless is a label of more modern jazz. 

https://www.discogs.com/label/217716-Timeless-Historical

Timeless had a "Timeless Historical" sub-label focused on traditional, or at least "classic" jazz. Some outstanding releases there, for example The California Ramblers or The Goofus Five CDs.

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I have not heard about Tiny Parham. 

Tiny Parham was a Chicago based bandleader, composer, and arranger.  If I remember correctly he arranged some music for a Jelly Roll Morton recording date-but I could have this backwards.  I really like the New Orleans born Punch Miller on trumpet on about half of these sides.  The Timeless release is excellent front to back.

11 hours ago, miles65 said:

Tiny born 1900 Winnipeg 

Truck born 1911 Chicago

The New Grove Dictionary does not mention a family relationship.

Neither does John Chilton's "Who's Who of Jazz", FWIW.

23 hours ago, miles65 said:

This is the Timeless Historical 2 CD set. Sound restoration John R.T. Davies. It contains all master takes 1928-1930 and 12 alternates but misses the 1940 session.

Classics has all the master takes including the 1940 session. Neatwork RP 2053 contains 14 alternates 

Sorry, my mistake about attributing that Timeless reissue to Frog.
Thanks for the clarification.

On 11/23/2022 at 8:57 AM, medjuck said:

Who?

Ha!

I admit that I used to think your avatar was of Clarence Williams. But now...the abstract truth has revealed itself. 🤭

On 11/23/2022 at 6:35 AM, EKE BBB said:

Chris Barber Collection

Timeless had a "Timeless Historical" sub-label focused on traditional, or at least "classic" jazz. Some outstanding releases there, for example The California Ramblers or The Goofus Five CDs.

This series is increasingly difficult to find in the U.S. Every disc I've heard from Timeless Historical (which isn't too many) has excellent sound—thank you, Mr. J.R.T. Davies. I'm listening to the Mound City Blue Blowers as I type. 👏 (As long as you don't mind Red McKenzie or the wax comb.)

Oops—here's the whole series👉👌👈