BFT 225 link and comments

felser

14 tracks ranging from late 50's to the 2000's.  One cut from this century (and I predict it will be the only cut that everybody likes), 11 from 1968-1976. 79 minutes of music to alternately entertain, enlighten, or enrage you.  I even include a Vietnam War era Christmas Carol!  Only one of the cuts is particularly obscure, but several are hiding in plain sight.  No Sonny Stitt, though I respect and enjoy his work.  This ranges farther off-center in several directions.  ID guesses are great, but responses/opinions are even better.  Thanks for your interest and participation!

http://thomkeith.net/index.php/blindfold-tests/

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, T.D. said:

Track 5 sounds kinda familiar, perhaps https://tinyurl.com/5n8kkub8

Enjoying it so far, though the first 5 tracks changed from what I heard on the first click through. 

You're correct on #5.  Wanted to present opportunity to reconsider it/him with fresh ears.  

7 minutes ago, T.D. said:

And track 1 perhaps https://tinyurl.com/5da9fcvy

For #1 and #5, I didn't know the exact recording right away, but the vocalists' identities seemed pretty clear.

Yes.  I love #1, it's a desert island song for me.  I suspect many have never heard it, and wanted to share it.   Many of the vocalists on this BFT should not be difficult to identify, but all should be interesting to discuss.  

Edited by felser

Thanks, John. I'm having a lot of fun with this! Don't listen to a lot of vocals, but the vocal numbers are bringing back memories...

#7 was another one where I immediately recognize the vocalist, but I only knew a couple of her big top 40 hits (which I love) and was unaware of her jazz/R&B side! No names/spoilers because I sleuthed. Great tune. Agree on #1 btw.

7 tracks so far, digging them all except for #4, which is nice but doesn't really stick out.

[Added] Full comments:

Really enjoyed this. Because of the lyrics, some of the vocal numbers are easy to sleuth, so I'll avoid spoilers. Lotta "with strings", which ordinarily isn't my bag, but they all work here.

1. Excellent song, figured out the singer right away but hadn't heard the recording.

2. Enjoy the tune, guitar and organ are 2 instruments I don't listen to all that often but would like to hear more of the album.

3. Feel like I should know the singer but no names come to mind. Don't listen to that much Brazilian material but like the guitar and instrumentation.

4. Pleasant but didn't make a huge impression.

5. Knew the singer right away and the tune is familiar from grade school music class! I thought he got a bit schlocky later on, but can't knock this one.

6. Excellent vocal / R&B song I feel I should know but don't. Another one where I'd like to hear the album.

7. Great and distinctive singer/songwriter, embarrassed I didn't immediately identify the tune, more holes in the collection...

8. Piano trio, enjoy the piece, no idea of the artists.

9. Live, is that a Rhodes in the mix? Good tune, feel I should know the saxophonist but can't hazard a guess.

10. Really like this one. Have been listening to Billy Bang's Vietnam Reflections, and this piece has a similar Asian flavor but I'm not sure of the player(s).

11. Enjoy the unusual instruments: vibes and piano with strings and classical horns? My reflex vibes guess on a felser BFT is Khan Jamal, but if so I've  sure never heard this.

12. Vocal with strings, cool, I missed it when released. Sleuthed it out of curiosity.

13. Another vocal w. strings I liked and sleuthed. Would like to hear more from the artist.

14. Vocal + piano, like it but no idea who. Sleuthed and got a surprise!

Thanks again. Couldn't stop until I'd heard the full program, already plenty of surprises.

Edited by T.D.
mistyped track #

2 hours ago, T.D. said:

Thanks, John. I'm having a lot of fun with this! Don't listen to a lot of vocals, but the vocal numbers are bringing back memories...

#7 was another one where I immediately recognize the vocalist, but I only knew a couple of her big top 40 hits (which I love) and was unaware of her jazz/R&B side! No names/spoilers because I sleuthed. Great tune. Agree on #1 btw.

7 tracks so far, digging them all except for #4, which is nice but doesn't really stick out.

[Added] Full comments:

Really enjoyed this. Because of the lyrics, some of the vocal numbers are easy to sleuth, so I'll avoid spoilers. Lotta "with strings", which ordinarily isn't my bag, but they all work here.

1. Excellent song, figured out the singer right away but hadn't heard the recording.   Sad that this cut has been ignored.  To me, it's an all-time great.

2. Enjoy the tune, guitar and organ are 2 instruments I don't listen to all that often but would like to hear more of the album.  It's my favorite jazz guitar album.

3. Feel like I should know the singer but no names come to mind. Don't listen to that much Brazilian material but like the guitar and instrumentation.  Well known singer for this sort of thing.  I love the trombone solo.

4. Pleasant but didn't make a huge impression.  Interesting, as this guy is considered an all-time great by many.

5. Knew the singer right away and the tune is familiar from grade school music class! I thought he got a bit schlocky later on, but can't knock this one.  Stunning performance of a stunning song.

6. Excellent vocal / R&B song I feel I should know but don't. Another one where I'd like to hear the album.  Not well known.  Most obscure cut on the BFT by a long shot.  Yet it does sound like it should be familiar.

7. Great and distinctive singer/songwriter, embarrassed I didn't immediately identify the tune, more holes in the collection...  Much to learn about her.  I'll send you a PM.

8. Piano trio, enjoy the piece, no idea of the artists.  Great pianist.  The composer may come as a surprise.  

9. Live, is that a Rhodes in the mix? Good tune, feel I should know the saxophonist but can't hazard a guess.  Listen to the stage announcements at the end 🙂

10. Really like this one. Have been listening to Billy Bang's Vietnam Reflections, and this piece has a similar Asian flavor but I'm not sure of the player(s).  Earlier than Bang.

11. Enjoy the unusual instruments: vibes and piano with strings and classical horns? My reflex vibes guess on a felser BFT is Khan Jamal, but if so I've  sure never heard this.  Not Jamal (who I love).  This one will be an interesting ID/reveal.

12. Vocal with strings, cool, I missed it when released. Sleuthed it out of curiosity.   My christmas carol on the BFT.  A later vocal star in the group.

13. Another vocal w. strings I liked and sleuthed. Would like to hear more from the artist.  Yes, please do.  He was a MONSTER.  Will PM.

14. Vocal + piano, like it but no idea who. Sleuthed and got a surprise!  Indeed.

Thanks again. Couldn't stop until I'd heard the full program, already plenty of surprises.

Thanks so much, glad you enjoyed it - I am so happy to share these cuts.  I like every one of them a lot, and I hope to get listeners here to have some cool discoveries and maybe rethink some of their presuppositions!

#2 is George Benson in all his CTI glory. Track 2 here

#4 is Stanley Turrentine & Deodato also in all their CTI glory on a track originally released on an otherwise vocal album that I consider the high-point of this lovely singer's oeuvre (always wanted to use that word in a sentence) Track 8 here but also a bonus track here if Ms. Gilberto is not your cuppa tea (what's wrong with you anyway?)

#5 boy, he has one of the most distinctive voices in the history of recorded music. No idea the album and I'm too lazy to look it up, but I love his Christmas album with Percy Faith, you know the one, it still gets played to death on the Christmas stations every year, which is still better than 90% of the other stuff that gets played this time of year.

#6 no idea but I like the groove!

#8 no idea but I MUST find out!!!

And I promise I'm not ignoring your PM! :)

Yeah, #4 does sound like Getz. The album that came to mind was Captain Marvel (which I never got around to picking up and haven't heard), but if it is Getz, that's definitely not the album.

GG was the guitarist who first came to mind on #2, but it didn't sound enough like him and I didn't recognize Benson.

Edited by T.D.

5 minutes ago, JSngry said:

#4 is definitely Turrentine.

Yep.  Big Al ID'd.

7 hours ago, T.D. said:

Yeah, #4 does sound like Getz. The album that came to mind was Captain Marvel (which I never got around to picking up and haven't heard), but if it is Getz, that's definitely not the album.

'Captain Marvel' is a great and important album.  My favorite Getz and some of my favorite Corea.

2 minutes ago, JSngry said:

On a quick scan, I know I hear Terry Callier and John Klemmer for sure, I think.

"Casa Forte" is an interesting song. Widely covered when it was new(ish), but who plays it now?

Correct on Callier and Klemmer, and I love "Casa Forte" and a lot of those types of compositions (Milton Nascimento, etc.).  Anyone listening close enough will have proof positive on Klemmer!

8 hours ago, Big Al said:

#2 is George Benson in all his CTI glory. Track 2 here

#4 is Stanley Turrentine & Deodato also in all their CTI glory on a track originally released on an otherwise vocal album that I consider the high-point of this lovely singer's oeuvre (always wanted to use that word in a sentence) Track 8 here but also a bonus track here if Ms. Gilberto is not your cuppa tea (what's wrong with you anyway?)

#5 boy, he has one of the most distinctive voices in the history of recorded music. No idea the album and I'm too lazy to look it up, but I love his Christmas album with Percy Faith, you know the one, it still gets played to death on the Christmas stations every year, which is still better than 90% of the other stuff that gets played this time of year.

#6 no idea but I like the groove!

#8 no idea but I MUST find out!!!

And I promise I'm not ignoring your PM! :)

Big Al!  Correct on 2,4,5.  6 is obscure, but shouldn't be.  But some of the musicians involved went on to very well-known things.  8 should be a nice surprise!  5's Christmas album is what we play when putting up our tree every year.  I grew up with it, and it has become the musical embodiment of the holiday season for my family.

Edited by felser

1 .  NO. Does nothing for me. Apparently someone I knew later in her career when she made no significant impression.  However I think she played the roadhouse blues singer in A Soldier’s Story? I will say if she ever recorded an album like that (?) I would want to hear it.

2. Don’t hate but kinda wears out it’s welcome. Feels like “let’s play on this for 9 minutes” - as proven by the quick fade.

3. Lost me right at jump but I held out for the bone solo. Until the sax started up. NEXT.

4. The effects/production give it a time and place I have no feel/interest. Turrentine doesn’t save it because I don’t want to hear him wailing over the muck. And what is with the g-d fades? So many with fade outs reinforces my sense of commercialized music performed to get to 40 minutes in the can.

5. Sorry for me it’s Richard Beymer all the way and forever for me. As far as I am concerned this is putrid.

6. A tiny bit curious if the sax is a recognizable name.

7. More vocals and production from an era that never appealed, sorry.

8. Moody piano a most welcome change of pace. Glad the mood is maintained thru out. A thousand stars. (real rating, 2.5 to 3 stars)

9. Goodbye at 2 minutes but it should have been sooner. I give my buddy the benefit of the doubt that way.

10. Couldn’t make it to a minute. #9 is sounding better all the time.

11. No.

12. Vocalist sounds sort of familiar.

13. I made it to the halfway point.

14. Well short is better.

Was 8 the late 50s track?

Thanks Felser I hope you are gentler with my January compilation.

9 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

1 .  NO. Does nothing for me. Apparently someone I knew later in her career when she made no significant impression.  However I think she played the roadhouse blues singer in A Soldier’s Story? I will say if she ever recorded an album like that (?) I would want to hear it.

2. Don’t hate but kinda wears out it’s welcome. Feels like “let’s play on this for 9 minutes” - as proven by the quick fade.

3. Lost me right at jump but I held out for the bone solo. Until the sax started up. NEXT.

4. The effects/production give it a time and place I have no feel/interest. Turrentine doesn’t save it because I don’t want to hear him wailing over the muck. And what is with the g-d fades? So many with fade outs reinforces my sense of commercialized music performed to get to 40 minutes in the can.

5. Sorry for me it’s Richard Beymer all the way and forever for me. As far as I am concerned this is putrid.

6. A tiny bit curious if the sax is a recognizable name.

7. More vocals and production from an era that never appealed, sorry.

8. Moody piano a most welcome change of pace. Glad the mood is maintained thru out. A thousand stars. (real rating, 2.5 to 3 stars)

9. Goodbye at 2 minutes but it should have been sooner. I give my buddy the benefit of the doubt that way.

10. Couldn’t make it to a minute. #9 is sounding better all the time.

11. No.

12. Vocalist sounds sort of familiar.

13. I made it to the halfway point.

14. Well short is better.

Was 8 the late 50s track?

Thanks Felser I hope you are gentler with my January compilation.

Well, obviously I didn't do a good WWDL (what would Dan like) BFT, LOL!   No, actually #8 is the 2000's track.  #5 is the late 50's track.  And I trust you realize that Richard Beymer didn't sing his own parts in the movie (my favorite movie of all-time, BTW), that was Jimmy Bryant.  Also that this version was done before the 1961 movie.   I don't think I could be LESS gentle with your January BFT than you were with mine, so no worries 😄.  Note to the uninitiated:  Dan and I are great friends despite our differing musical tastes.  We have a lot of fun with each other's BFT's.  Last year his theme was WWFL - what would Felser like.

Edited by felser

7 minutes ago, Milestones said:

I'm afraid there's not much grabbing me on this BFT...and I had previously thought that our musical tastes were fairly similar.

Thanks for listening.  I'm sure our tastes intersect in areas not represented on this BFT.

You seem to be focusing on a 70's vibe--some CTI and a lot of fusion of various sorts.  Maybe this has to do with your own discovery of jazz?  I became a jazz lover in the early 80s.  While I went for some of Miles' fusion and Mahavishnu Orchestra, I quickly found my home in jazz of the 50's and early 60s.

2 hours ago, felser said:

Well, obviously I didn't do a good WWDL (what would Dan like) BFT, LOL!   No, actually #8 is the 2000's track.  #5 is the late 50's track.  And I trust you realize that Richard Beymer didn't sing his own parts in the movie (my favorite movie of all-time, BTW), that was Jimmy Bryant.  Also that this version was done before the 1961 movie.   I don't think I could be LESS gentle with your January BFT than you were with mine, so no worries 😄.  Note to the uninitiated:  Dan and I are great friends despite our differing musical tastes.  We have a lot of fun with each other's BFT's.  Last year his theme was WWFL - what would Felser like.

I didn't really know if Beymer sang - or maybe I did, but the reality is the visual ties to the song so its still Beymer I think of.

And I can say there are two "Felser" tracks selected, others that may very well appeal. Only one that I can say is definitely not your cuppa, since the composition pre-dates your jazz preferences.

12 minutes ago, Milestones said:

You seem to be focusing on a 70's vibe--some CTI and a lot of fusion of various sorts.  Maybe this has to do with your own discovery of jazz?  I became a jazz lover in the early 80s.  While I went for some of Miles' fusion and Mahavishnu Orchestra, I quickly found my home in jazz of the 50's and early 60s.

My tastes strongly overlap with felser's in the area of '60s-'70s "spiritual jazz" and shall we say "Strata-East" material, which are areas I've only recently (last several years) gotten into. That stuff isn't such a big part of this BFT, but John listens (and has listened) to far more vocal/rock/soul than I have, and can be counted on to include  interesting nostalgic/reassessment items.

For instance, I've always thought the performer of #7 was just great, love hearing her music on the radio, but don't own any recordings. Perhaps I should rectify that. 😉 And I'm not overly into vocal, CTI  or "with strings" jazz, but enjoyed having my consciousness expanded in those areas.