BFT 225 link and comments

felser

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Milestones said:

On #7, Laura Nyro came to mind.  Not saying it is her, but it does seem quite a bit like her work--and I have not heard much of it.

It is indeed Laura Nyro.

Edited by felser

9 minutes ago, Milestones said:

Pretty good for not knowing her too well!  I knew her for years as a songwriter, but only recently as a singer.

She was a great singer.  I prefer her iwn versions of almost all of her songs, and some of her r&b/soul covers are  beautiful, especially "The Bells" and "It's Gonna Take a Miracle".

Edited by felser

Definitely not purist, but horizon broadening in a good way.  It grooves.

1.  Calls Dee Dee Bridgewater to mind, although it could be a vocalist you wouldn't find in the Jazz section of your mythical local record store.
2.  Sounds more like Pat Martino to me than anything else.
3.  The percolating rhythm makes me lean toward Flora Purim, probably with Airto.
4.  The feeling is "good CTI".  Could be an old master like Turrentine or Rollins.
5.  Nat King Cole?  or Johnny Mathis?  Maria, composer I believe is Lenny, from West Side Story
6.  We are in the land where soul and jazz intertwine.
7.  Add in a dash of Joni Mitchell this time, but down an octave.
8.  This could easily be an ECM piano trio.  Maybe led by Avishai Cohen the bassist?  But NO, it's live and ECM does that very rarely outside Keith Jarrett solos.  Kenny Barron?
9.  John Klemmer is the go-to guy when you hear digital delay.  Outtro confirms it, with McBee and Mouzon.  I like this, not all Klemmer is this good.
10.  Aarrgggh this is familiar.  I hear Alice Coltrane and probably Michael White.  There was a McCoy Tyner album with Alice, but I'm not getting a clear McCoy vibe from the bass or the piano.  I'll go with Michael White as the leader.
11.  Pretty sure that's an electric bass, and nobody's concerned about being too commercial or not commercial enough.  Stefon Harris?
12.  Having absolutely no clue, I'll throw out a name I came across accidentaly a few months ago.  Jaimeo Brown?
13.  Ditto, but the wild guess is more old school.  Jon Lucien?
14.  Aw hell.  It could be a CCM artist I'm totally unaware of, but I'm willing to be wrong with Dee Dee Bridgewater twice in the same BFT.

24 minutes ago, randyhersom said:

1.  Calls Dee Dee Bridgewater to mind, although it could be a vocalist you wouldn't find in the Jazz section of your mythical local record store.
2.  Sounds more like Pat Martino to me than anything else.
3.  The percolating rhythm makes me lean toward Flora Purim, probably with Airto.
4.  The feeling is "good CTI".  Could be an old master like Turrentine or Rollins.
5.  Nat King Cole?  or Johnny Mathis?  Maria, composer I believe is Lenny, from West Side Story
6.  We are in the land where soul and jazz intertwine.
7.  Add in a dash of Joni Mitchell this time, but down an octave.
8.  This could easily be an ECM piano trio.  Maybe led by Avishai Cohen the bassist?  But NO, it's live and ECM does that very rarely outside Keith Jarrett solos.  Kenny Barron?
9.  John Klemmer is the go-to guy when you hear digital delay.  Outtro confirms it, with McBee and Mouzon.  I like this, not all Klemmer is this good.
10.  Aarrgggh this is familiar.  I hear Alice Coltrane and probably Michael White.  There was a McCoy Tyner album with Alice, but I'm not getting a clear McCoy vibe from the bass or the piano.  I'll go with Michael White as the leader.
11.  Pretty sure that's an electric bass, and nobody's concerned about being too commercial or not commercial enough.  Stefon Harris?
12.  Having absolutely no clue, I'll throw out a name I came across accidentaly a few months ago.  Jaimeo Brown?
13.  Ditto, but the wild guess is more old school.  Jon Lucien?
14.  Aw hell.  It could be a CCM artist I'm totally unaware of, but I'm willing to be wrong with Dee Dee Bridgewater twice in the same BFT.

Agreed, Michael White on #10 but no Alice. Only White album I have is The Land of Spirit and Light, so I had to sleuth.

I also had trouble distinguishing the pizzicato in #10. I couldn't recognize White's playing, because on Land of Spirit and Light (my only prior exposure) iirc he used less pizz. and was less aggressive with double-stops.

[Added] Although there could be significant pizzicato on The Land of Spirit and Light; I can't tell exactly what's pizz. violin and what's classical guitar there. 🧐

Edited by T.D.

5 hours ago, T.D. said:

My tastes strongly overlap with felser's in the area of '60s-'70s "spiritual jazz" and shall we say "Strata-East" material, which are areas I've only recently (last several years) gotten into. That stuff isn't such a big part of this BFT, but John listens (and has listened) to far more vocal/rock/soul than I have, and can be counted on to include  interesting nostalgic/reassessment items.

For instance, I've always thought the performer of #7 was just great, love hearing her music on the radio, but don't own any recordings. Perhaps I should rectify that. 😉 And I'm not overly into vocal, CTI  or "with strings" jazz, but enjoyed having my consciousness expanded in those areas.

Thanks, exactly what I am hoping to accomplish on my BFT's.

2 hours ago, randyhersom said:

It's a vocalist/group you wouldn't find in the Jazz section of your mythical local record store.  ID'd by T.P. I LOVE this cut.
2.  Sounds more like Pat Martino to me than anything else.  Not Martino.  Artist  and label  ID'd by Big Al.
3.  The percolating rhythm makes me lean toward Flora Purim, probably with Airto.  It's a Flora Purim solo album.  Airto plays drums.
4.  The feeling is "good CTI".  Could be an old master like Turrentine or Rollins.  Turrentine.  And yes, "good CTI".  Previously ID'd by Big Al.
5.  Nat King Cole?  or Johnny Mathis?  Maria, composer I believe is Lenny, from West Side Story  Mathis doing "Maria" from WSS (Bernstein/Sondheim).  T.D. ID'd.
6.  We are in the land where soul and jazz intertwine.  The land where my listening often resides!
7.  Add in a dash of Joni Mitchell this time, but down an octave.  Artist ID'd by Milestones.
8.  This could easily be an ECM piano trio.  Maybe led by Avishai Cohen the bassist?  But NO, it's live and ECM does that very rarely outside Keith Jarrett solos.  Kenny Barron?  Not ECM (though they should have recorded this pianist!), not Barron.
9.  John Klemmer is the go-to guy when you hear digital delay.  Outtro confirms it, with McBee and Mouzon.  I like this, not all Klemmer is this good.  Agreed.
10.  Aarrgggh this is familiar.  I hear Alice Coltrane and probably Michael White.  There was a McCoy Tyner album with Alice, but I'm not getting a clear McCoy vibe from the bass or the piano.  I'll go with Michael White as the leader.  You are correct, Michael White.  No Alice.
11.  Pretty sure that's an electric bass, and nobody's concerned about being too commercial or not commercial enough.  Stefon Harris?  Nope. 30 years earlier.  This may shock people.
12.  Having absolutely no clue, I'll throw out a name I came across accidentaly a few months ago.  Jaimeo Brown? Recorded a decade before he was born. 
13.  Ditto, but the wild guess is more old school.  Jon Lucien?  Earlier than Lucien.
14.  Aw hell.  It could be a CCM artist I'm totally unaware of, but I'm willing to be wrong with Dee Dee Bridgewater twice in the same BFT.  Nope.  This one may fool people.  Another vocalist you wouldn't find in the Jazz section of your mythical local record store.

Randy, thanks for understanding and embracing what I'm trying to do on the BFT!  And appreciate your insights on the music.

6 hours ago, Milestones said:

You seem to be focusing on a 70's vibe--some CTI and a lot of fusion of various sorts.  Maybe this has to do with your own discovery of jazz?  I became a jazz lover in the early 80s.  While I went for some of Miles' fusion and Mahavishnu Orchestra, I quickly found my home in jazz of the 50's and early 60s.

Yes, I went headlong into jazz in 1972 ("A Love Supreme" in the college library).  But continued to avidly listen to R&B/soul, which had a golden period in the early-mid 70's.  Only two CTI cuts on here.   70's "fusion of sorts" with R&B and/or Rock is a sweet spot for me, before it all went schlocky wrong in the later part of the decade.

Some random thoughts; I haven't read anyone else's response.

1) 70's arrangement out of Broadway.  Labelle?

2) Might be an organ trio (quartet w/ conga), but with guitar as a lead.  Guitar has the sweetness of a Burrell or Benson, but with more modern shadings.  Goes on too long, but maybe I'm impatient.

3) Some foreign language.  Lively.  Guessing it's the trombonist's date, because the trombone's a little out of place as the lead instrument.  No clue who.

4) More Brazil, Chick Corea influence.  Stan Getz?

5) Johnny Mathis.

6) Whoever it is, he's free at last.  Free to boogie to KC & The Sunshine Band!  My guess is it's some straight-ahead saxist forced to do this during the height of the disco boom.

7) Laura Nyro.

8 ) Some Ahmad Jamal disciple.  I'm feeling like Nat Hentoff.

9) Starts off sounding like Eddie Harris.  Hard attack.  Maybe Rahsaan, one of those 32Jazz live dates.

10) Michel Urbaniak?  Sounds like some classically-trained violinist who hates his life & figures jazz affords him more "freedom."

11) Tubby Hayes on vibes?  I like the '60's British brass sound, though it's probably nostalgia.

12) JC Superstar?  Godspell?

13) As soon as I heard "bright tomorrows," I knew it would be rhymed with "sorrows."  Bad trip, man.  I need some punk rock as an antidote.

14) No clue.

This was fun; thanks.

1 hour ago, randyhersom said:

Milt Jackson did make a couple CTIs

Not him.  It's not the vibes player's album.

44 minutes ago, T.D. said:

On further listening, I thought #8 sounded a bit like Jessica Williams in places. Surely can't be her (them? not sure of pronoun), but it got me to pull some long-dormant discs off the shelf.

Actually it is Jessica Williams, well done!

1 hour ago, mjzee said:

Some random thoughts; I haven't read anyone else's response.

1) 70's arrangement out of Broadway.  Labelle?  Yes, Labelle (the group).  Already ID'd.

2) Might be an organ trio (quartet w/ conga), but with guitar as a lead.  Guitar has the sweetness of a Burrell or Benson, but with more modern shadings.  Goes on too long, but maybe I'm impatient.  Guitar player's album.  Artist ID'd.

3) Some foreign language.  Lively.  Guessing it's the trombonist's date, because the trombone's a little out of place as the lead instrument.  No clue who.  Singer's date.

4) More Brazil, Chick Corea influence.  Stan Getz?  Not Getz, already ID'd.

5) Johnny Mathis.  Yes it is.  Stunning performance.

6) Whoever it is, he's free at last.  Free to boogie to KC & The Sunshine Band!  My guess is it's some straight-ahead saxist forced to do this during the height of the disco boom.  Actually recorded half a decade earlier than the dawn of disco.  And I think they did this because it was exactly what they wanted to do.  And I'm glad they did!

7) Laura Nyro.  Yep.

8 ) Some Ahmad Jamal disciple.  I'm feeling like Nat Hentoff.   Not exactly.

9) Starts off sounding like Eddie Harris.  Hard attack.  Maybe Rahsaan, one of those 32Jazz live dates.  Not Rahsaan, already ID'd (and the artist is identified in the recording).

10) Michel Urbaniak?  Sounds like some classically-trained violinist who hates his life & figures jazz affords him more "freedom."  Not Urbaniak, artist ID'd.

11) Tubby Hayes on vibes?  I like the '60's British brass sound, though it's probably nostalgia.  Not British, recorded in the 60's.

12) JC Superstar?  Godspell?  Done before either of those, and not from a show.

13) As soon as I heard "bright tomorrows," I knew it would be rhymed with "sorrows."  Bad trip, man.  I need some punk rock as an antidote.  So you need a different bad trip as an antidote?  And this song was meant to be a bad trip, but a stunning one.

14) No clue.  Will be an interesting reveal.  

This was fun; thanks.  Thanks for listening, glad you enjoyed it!

8 minutes ago, T.D. said:

I'll be darned! Trouble is, JW made so many albums that I couldn't keep up with them! #8 isn't on any of the several discs I own.

Yes, quite prolific.  I like some of her discs a lot more than others, but all display dazzling talent.

Whoa, #8 by Jessica Williams is in my collection! I actually have a signed copy (purchased used, though).

Track 5 here

No wonder it sounded familiar.

Composer is Billy Cobham of all people! Knowing that JW recorded Theme for the Eulipians and Haunted Melody, I was hoping for Rahsaan...

Edited by T.D.
Blundered track #

2 minutes ago, T.D. said:

Whoa, #5 by Jessica Williams is in my collection! I actually have a signed copy (purchased used, though).

Track 5 here

No wonder it sounded familiar.

Composer is Billy Cobham of all people! Knowing that JW recorded Theme for the Eulipians and Haunted Melody, I was hoping for Rahsaan...

Yes!

1 hour ago, randyhersom said:

I think this establishes that 6 is the Terry Callier JSngry spotted.

Nope.  Callier is a different cut.  But I misled you by mistakenly marking 6 as artist ID'd.  As Jim didn't say which cut was Callier, I am counting it as not ID'd

Edited by felser

Since Laura Nyro's been ID'd, #7 is A3 here.

Sleuthed some other vocal tracks from the interwebs, but avoiding further spoilers so early in the month.

The track with Klemmer is easy to sleuth because he and other players are named at the end, 'nuff said. Interesting reveal/reappraisal, since I identify Klemmer more with smooth jazz.

Intensely curious but clueless about #6 and #11, going to wait for a reveal on those.

Edited by T.D.

12 minutes ago, T.D. said:

Since Laura Nyro's been ID'd, #7 is A3 here.

Sleuthed some other vocal tracks from the interwebs, but avoiding further spoilers so early in the month.

The track with Klemmer is easy to sleuth because he and other players are named at the end, 'nuff said. Interesting reveal/reappraisal, since I identify Klemmer more with smooth jazz.

Intensely curious but clueless about #6 and #11, going to wait for a reveal on those.

Correct on Nyro.  Still want the album ID on Klemmer, it's deceptively challenging!  Klemmer had almost a decade of fascinating releases on Cadet and Impulse before his smooth jazz success (and he was one of the best at that - the song "Touch" is beautiful).  And he did a later album, 'Nexus', which was powerful freeish jazz.