BFT 225 link and comments

felser

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Milestones said:

I should have known Jessica Williams.  She is highly under-recognized, although I have collected quite a few of her records.  It's a lovely piece and the one I like best on this BFT.

I called it as the one cut everyone will like on this BFT.  It is lovely.

11 hours ago, felser said:

Correct on Nyro.  Still want the album ID on Klemmer, it's deceptively challenging!  Klemmer had almost a decade of fascinating releases on Cadet and Impulse before his smooth jazz success (and he was one of the best at that - the song "Touch" is beautiful).  And he did a later album, 'Nexus', which was powerful freeish jazz.

11 hours ago, JSngry said:

here, take this in:

Cool. I understimated Klemmer! 

In high school, I was into fusion "in real time" around '72-74, but mostly Miles, Mahavishnu, Weather Report, RTF. Miles was over my head at the time and I got tired of other fusion, moved on before hearing anything by Klemmer. Finally revisiting the genre / era.

Album ID for #9:

Track A1 here,

probably (hard to make out audio) originally on

B1 here.

Edited by T.D.

9 minutes ago, T.D. said:

Cool. I understimated Klemmer! 

In high school, I was into fusion "in real time" around '72-74, but mostly Miles, Mahavishnu, Weather Report, RTF. Got tired of the genre before hearing anything by Klemmer. Finally revisiting the genre / era.

Album ID for #9:

Track 1 here,

probably (hard to make out audio) originally on

B1 here.

Correct!  Actually came out originally on the first one (Impulse 9264), then on the second one (Impulse 9269).

Late on first impressions but without reading the rest of what's here just yet: 

1: sounds like the Staple Singers but I'm not sure
2: some interesting and familiar licks from the guitarist but I can't place it
3: sounds like the Purim/Corea stuff from the 70s but prob not them
4: Funky but no idea
5: Mathis' Maria
6: More funky groove. Bass & the horns FTW
7: Another freedom tune - not sure who this is. Got to be from the 70s...?
8: Nice segue track with a totally different feel. Like how it takes its time. No guesses
9: Sounds like Pharoah Sanders - not sure which track though. McBee on bass per the announcer
10: I'll guess Billy Bang on violin. 
11: Well crafted song. Cinematic almost. 
12: Interesting and original christmas song. 
13: Callier's Alley Wind song. Good stuff
14: Sounds a little like Teena Marie but not sure

Thanks for the tunes! Went nicely with some morning coffee. 

1 hour ago, Dub Modal said:

Late on first impressions but without reading the rest of what's here just yet: 

1: sounds like the Staple Singers but I'm not sure  Not Staple Singers, previously ID'd.
2: some interesting and familiar licks from the guitarist but I can't place it  Previously ID'd.
3: sounds like the Purim/Corea stuff from the 70s but prob not them Purim, but not Corea.
4: Funky but no idea Previously ID'd.
5: Mathis' Maria Yes
6: More funky groove. Bass & the horns FTW Not sure what FTW is.  Doubt this will get ID'd.
7: Another freedom tune - not sure who this is. Got to be from the 70s...? Yes it is.  Previously ID'd.
8: Nice segue track with a totally different feel. Like how it takes its time. No guesses  Previously ID'd.
9: Sounds like Pharoah Sanders - not sure which track though. McBee on bass per the announcer  Not Sanders.  Announcer tells you who it is.  Previously ID'd.
10: I'll guess Billy Bang on violin.   Not Bang.  Artist ID'd, but not cut or album.
11: Well crafted song. Cinematic almost.   You're on to something there.
12: Interesting and original christmas song.   I love it. 
13: Callier's Alley Wind song. Good stuff  Yes it is!
14: Sounds a little like Teena Marie but not sure  Yes, Teena Marie.  Surprised no one else got this.

Thanks for the tunes! Went nicely with some morning coffee. 

Glad you enjoyed it, I thought it was very listenable!

15 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Nice. FTW is an acronym = for the win. The bass and horns on 6 make the track for me. 

Did you edit or find a shorter version for that Teena Marie track? I'm actually not familiar with any gospel tune by her. 

No, that's the whole tune.  The album it's on sold a million copies.

Welp, the original idea went a little whack.  I was going to transcribe the conversation using YouTube, but there's a copyright claim, so... here's the evidence from Tim and myself. (audio gets a bit louder as it goes, but you'll do better with headphones)

BFT 225 analysis and associated nonsense from two blokes in chairs.

Edited by tkeith
comment about the linked video

31 minutes ago, tkeith said:

Welp, the original idea when a little whack.  I was going to transcribe the conversation using YouTube, but there's a copyright claim, so... here's the evidence from Tim and myself. (audio gets a bit louder as it goes, but you'll do better with headphones)

Clicking on the link doesn't do anything. Going to thomkeith.net, I don't see a "music" tab.

2 hours ago, T.D. said:

Clicking on the link doesn't do anything. Going to thomkeith.net, I don't see a "music" tab.

Do a right click, "open in new window", then refresh the new page and download will start.  I didn't know that, just figured it out.

3 hours ago, tkeith said:

Welp, the original idea when a little whack.  I was going to transcribe the conversation using YouTube, but there's a copyright claim, so... here's the evidence from Tim and myself. (audio gets a bit louder as it goes, but you'll do better with headphones)

Watched it start to finish, and it was a blast!  And good chance to get you know you and Tim better.   We do need to get together and listen to some music.  Great room you have there!  BTW, #12 was a Vietnam-era Christmas carol, hence the theme of old man or young man being the first to die.

8 hours ago, felser said:

Do a right click, "open in new window", then refresh the new page and download will start.  I didn't know that, just figured it out.

Watched it start to finish, and it was a blast!  And good chance to get you know you and Tim better.   We do need to get together and listen to some music.  Great room you have there!  BTW, #12 was a Vietnam-era Christmas carol, hence the theme of old man or young man being the first to die.

Apologies for the playing ordeal you guys are going through -- I'm using Firefox and it opens right up (tried on two other computers).  Fesler, for sure on the group listen!  We had a good time with it, though we realized it's not the most riveting watch.  :D 

10 minutes ago, tkeith said:

I wanted to say JM on Maria, but I was too much of a wimp.  I have one compilation of his, and I wasn't sure enough to commit.  #DamnIt

Confirmed the link works beautifully in Firefox!

A few other thoughts:

#2 - surprised you didn't name this guy in your roll call of guitarists, since he's much better known than any of them!

#4 - Sometimes it's best not to overthink these 😊.

#5 - You guys circled around it enough I would have given you at least partial credit!.  Not trying to fool people with this as much as to get them to re-listen with open ears.

#6 - Your commentary on the sax player was priceless!

#11 - One of those artists everyone's heard of but no one's heard (except on other people's work).

#14 - Interesting comments on church.

On 12/10/2022 at 10:04 AM, felser said:

#6 - Your commentary on the sax player was priceless!

I got scared and had to go back an listen.  I stand by it.  :D

I think the CTI-ism of track 4 hid the tone of the sax player (that's my excuse and I'm doubling down on it!).  I have a TON of T, and he's always so BOLD, no matter the setting.  Here, he's rather subdued, and I blame the engineer.

On 12/1/2022 at 10:31 PM, randyhersom said:

Milt Jackson did make a couple CTIs

Even before those.  This is from the late 60's.

Mid-month summary:

Fully ID'd - 1,2,4,5,7,8,9,10

Artist ID'd, need song and album - 3

No ID - 6,11,12,13

Jim noted one cut was Terry Callier, and one cut was "Casa Forte", but did not ID which cuts.

1 hour ago, felser said:

Even before those.  This is from the late 60's.

Mid-month summary:

No ID - 6,11,12,13

Jim noted one cut was Terry Callier, and one cut was "Casa Forte", but did not ID which cuts.

Dub Modal ID'd 13 as Callier's Alley Wind Song, but no album.

3 hours ago, T.D. said:

Dub Modal ID'd 13 as Callier's Alley Wind Song, but no album.

You're right, thanks!

Artist and song ID'd, need album - 13

No ID - 6,11,12

Female singer in the group on 12 sold a few million records a decade later, and her biggest hit was featured in a great VISA commercial.   Artist on 11 did his most famous work for others, including a beloved alto player.   Some of the musicians in group on 6 went on to play with one of the iconic (possibly the MOST iconic) soul/r&b groups of the 70's.

2 hours ago, felser said:

It is the Pharoahs!

In that case, B1 here?

Credit to Randy for the spot. This is just follow-up via discogs.

Weirdly, the track was only 5:15 long on the original release? At least according to discogs. Longer 5:56 on the 1996 reissue and subsequently.

Edited by T.D.