BFT 225 link and comments

felser

24 minutes ago, T.D. said:

In that case, B1 here?

Credit to Randy for the spot. This is just follow-up via discogs.

Weirdly, the track was only 5:15 long on the original release? At least according to discogs. Longer 5:56 on the 1996 reissue and subsequently.

Correct! Can't speak to lengths!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, T.D. said:

Wouldn't be surprised if that timing thing was just a typo on the original release.

There seems to be a bit of a Charles Stepney connection running through this BFT, and he did play vibes, but I don't think he could have been involved with #11.

Correct on all counts re: Stepney.   He was a monster!

Sorry, runni9ng late.

TRACK ONE - Doesn't do a whole lot for me, but Nona Hendrix went on to do some really quirky and interesting solo projects.

TRACK TWO - Maybe my favorite Benson album!

TRACK THREE - SO popular, in fact, that there was this just one year in. But the Mendes original version still works best for me. Flora's rendition here reminds me how how much fun we all thought drugs were. We we right, of course, at least for the moment.  But after that minute passed...

TRACK FOUR - The cuts with Gilberto are, uh...inconsistent. But this one is exceptional,

TRACK FIVE - Yep. Ignore Johnny Mathis at your own risk. Motherfucker could sing. Probably still can.

TRACK SIX - Only heard the Pharaohs 5-10 years ago, but it was like, OH, I SEE!!! Sorry it took me so ling! A lot of things fell into place. Also hoping that more light can be shine on Don Myrick as time goes on. It's not too late!

TRACK SEVEN - Hmmmm...of its time, I suppose. But, shall we say, uneven. And the tenor (Brecker, I presume?) is, like...Carole King with Tom Scott. Did we need more of that type thing? I don't, but I am not wee.

TRACK EIGHT - Excellent song, but not a lot done with it except maybe belaboring the obvious.

TRACK NINE - Klemmer. No idea what got into him, but some big bucks hopefully got into his pockets! This has energy, but not a whole lot else, a simple vamp, a lot of energy, no real direction (because it's not about having direction, it's about energy), and then it's over. Good players making that energy keep it from descending into silliness, though.Too bad that Klemmer and Gato never played together during this period, they could have brought out the worst in each other!!!

TRACK TEN - These vamps... i like it well enough, and have the record. But don't lie it enough to listen to it too much. Seems a bit Muzaky in its own way.

TRACK ELEVEN - Not Stepney, not enough reverb. But sort of the same general sonic vision. Sounds like LA players. I like it. Not sure about a whole album of it, but I'd be willing to try. ?Is this film music?

TRACK TWELVE  - Ok, THAT' S Stepney, don't have to guess or say "sounds like". Rotary Connection. There it is.

TRACK THIRTEEN  - And that's Stepney. Terry Callier this time. I find that I generally need Stepney for Callier to fully click for me. Not always, but generally/ A lot of these "uncategorizable" artists will tend to ramble without somebody to give them some context. Case in point here, I mean, if this guy sang this song by himself, what have you got? Not much. Those words are  pretty damn siily (and thier sincerity makes them all the more sillier). But add that Stepney, hey, you got context, a rather compelling context. actually. So, Charles Stepney, doing god's work yet again. YET again.

TRACK FOURTEEN  - Liked it better when Gospel carried over into Pop rather than vice-versa. But having said that, this sounds like a Donny Hathaway thing, maybe, sorta, kinda. Or not.

It's been that kind of month, I am tired and getting tireder. Not your fault though, thanks for the Christmas cheer!

6 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Sorry, runni9ng late.

TRACK ONE - Doesn't do a whole lot for me, but Nona Hendrix went on to do some really quirky and interesting solo projects.  I love it, but understood.

TRACK TWO - Maybe my favorite Benson album!  Definitely mine!  Wanted to remind people what he could do as a guitarist.

TRACK THREE - SO popular, in fact, that there was this just one year in. But the Mendes original version still works best for me. Flora's rendition here reminds me how how much fun we all thought drugs were. We we right, of course, at least for the moment.  But after that minute passed...  I also considered the Mendes version (I like them both a lot), but already have a lot of pop-oriented artists on the BFT, didn't want to add one more, since I mainly wanted to get the composition out there.  I actually didn't take drugs, but liked the "associated" music anyways, so I guess I've just always been on a natural high.

TRACK FOUR - The cuts with Gilberto are, uh...inconsistent. But this one is exceptional, Yep.

TRACK FIVE - Yep. Ignore Johnny Mathis at your own risk. Motherfucker could sing. Probably still can.  Yes he could.  Listening to the big Columbia box set right now.

TRACK SIX - Only heard the Pharaohs 5-10 years ago, but it was like, OH, I SEE!!! Sorry it took me so ling! A lot of things fell into place. Also hoping that more light can be shine on Don Myrick as time goes on. It's not too late!  Interesting to compare your take to Thom's.  I like this a lot.

TRACK SEVEN - Hmmmm...of its time, I suppose. But, shall we say, uneven. And the tenor (Brecker, I presume?) is, like...Carole King with Tom Scott. Did we need more of that type thing? I don't, but I am not wee.  Previously ID'd.  And yeah, it's Brecker.  I liked this stuff plenty in the 70's as long as it did not get overly precious (such as Janis Ian's work from that point on), still have a good bit of it around. 

TRACK EIGHT - Excellent song, but not a lot done with it except maybe belaboring the obvious.  Serious question, what would you have done with it?

TRACK NINE - Klemmer. No idea what got into him, but some big bucks hopefully got into his pockets! This has energy, but not a whole lot else, a simple vamp, a lot of energy, no real direction (because it's not about having direction, it's about energy), and then it's over. Good players making that energy keep it from descending into silliness, though.Too bad that Klemmer and Gato never played together during this period, they could have brought out the worst in each other!!!  I get off on the energy, love McBee and Mouzon on the cut, have always liked Klemmer's sound.

TRACK TEN - These vamps... i like it well enough, and have the record. But don't lie it enough to listen to it too much. Seems a bit Muzaky in its own way.  I heard this very early on in my journey, on that great "Impulse Energy Essentials" 3 LP sampler, which introduced me to so many great artists (Mingus, Pharoah, Oliver Nelson, etc.).  I enjoy it.

TRACK ELEVEN - Not Stepney, not enough reverb. But sort of the same general sonic vision. Sounds like LA players. I like it. Not sure about a whole album of it, but I'd be willing to try. ?Is this film music?  Not Stepney (a contemporary), not film music, whole album holds up beautifully, one of those cult classic things, as are his next two albums.  A name everyone knows but no one has heard his albums.  One of the few guys who was actually in the same league as Stepney (that's a clue).

TRACK TWELVE  - Ok, THAT' S Stepney, don't have to guess or say "sounds like". Rotary Connection. There it is.

Yep.  Surprised no one else got this.  Wanted to be sure people heard Stepney on this BFT, he was brilliant.

TRACK THIRTEEN  - And that's Stepney. Terry Callier this time. I find that I generally need Stepney for Callier to fully click for me. Not always, but generally/ A lot of these "uncategorizable" artists will tend to ramble without somebody to give them some context. Case in point here, I mean, if this guy sang this song by himself, what have you got? Not much. Those words are  pretty damn siily (and thier sincerity makes them all the more sillier). But add that Stepney, hey, you got context, a rather compelling context. actually. So, Charles Stepney, doing god's work yet again. YET again.  I loved Callier in most any context, but put this on because of Stepney.  I think this may be Stepney's greatest work, and he makes the song what it is.  The string figures as each wind is introduced blow me away (pun sort of intended).

TRACK FOURTEEN  - Liked it better when Gospel carried over into Pop rather than vice-versa. But having said that, this sounds like a Donny Hathaway thing, maybe, sorta, kinda. Or not.  I'm sure she loved and was influenced by Hathaway's music (what's not to love?).  And she was every bit his equal, though different.

It's been that kind of month, I am tired and getting tireder. Not your fault though, thanks for the Christmas cheer!  Thanks for listening, and for the feedback and insights!  Yes, December is not easy anymore - I'm a year or two older than you, fully understand.

Well one thing has been consistently confirmed (with ONE exception in the history of my participation in the BFT) -- I do NOT care for Michael Brecker.  Just don't hear him, and don't get him. 

Klemmer is a 50-50 mix for me when I hear him.  Dad's influence steered me away from him (and probably my own purchases in that musical neighborhood -- Tom Scott, et all).  Would love some MUST HAVE recommendations from you and Jim.

1 hour ago, tkeith said:

Well one thing has been consistently confirmed (with ONE exception in the history of my participation in the BFT) -- I do NOT care for Michael Brecker.  Just don't hear him, and don't get him. 

Klemmer is a 50-50 mix for me when I hear him.  Dad's influence steered me away from him (and probably my own purchases in that musical neighborhood -- Tom Scott, et all).  Would love some MUST HAVE recommendations from you and Jim.

Klemmer - 'Nexus', 'Waterfalls', 'Involvement' are about the only really good ones that can be found on CD, and the first two will cost you.

Edited by felser

3 minutes ago, T.D. said:

John, I kind of regret having overposted sleuthings to the thread. And this particular ID was Jim's work (kudos to him).

But since you asked 😉, spoiler here.

OK got it.  ID of #11, and correct!  I thought it was a response to mjazzg having not listened yes.  And you have NOT overposted!  The best gift someone presenting one of these BFT's can get is someone else really digging and responding to some of the music.  Thank you so much!   

I wish I'd had time this month to be more a part of the discussion! I only just now downloaded the video of Thom and I listening and need to refresh my memory as to what we said!

I will say this-- that first tune (which I now know) has been haunting me. Something really magical about the way it starts and evolves. Some fantastic stuff here overall, as expected, and I'll be revisiting just about all of this music. Thank you John!

3 hours ago, webbcity said:

I wish I'd had time this month to be more a part of the discussion! I only just now downloaded the video of Thom and I listening and need to refresh my memory as to what we said!

I will say this-- that first tune (which I now know) has been haunting me. Something really magical about the way it starts and evolves. Some fantastic stuff here overall, as expected, and I'll be revisiting just about all of this music. Thank you John!

So glad you enjoyed it - I also love that first tune!  (would make a great addition for the repertoire of a certain New England jazz trio).

Just throwing this out there because there were some unfamiliar names (to me) in this thread:  we still currently have openings for March, April, July and September for 2023.  I'll take one of those, but I'd prefer to let others have first choice on the specifics.  If you're curious or know someone who may be, please reach out.