Finnadar Records - Recs?

JSngry

Looked at the discogs page and it is an interesting catalog, but I never heard any of the albums, and no longer do vinyl so exploration is out.

I'd skip the basic repertoire classical (e.g. Idil Biret), some of which might have come out on Naxos.

Some modern classical items appeal. I saw an LP with Rzewki playing piano, which I'd go for.  Several other good-looking multi-composer compilations. Wouldn't mind hearing the Virgil Thomson piano disc, though I probably wouldn't love it. Trouble is, most of the individual works have been served with plenty of good recordings that are easier to find.

Also a couple of recognizable jazz names (Mann, Werner, Macero).

Electroacoustic (Mimaroglu) seems like the main target. Didn't someone recently post a source for recordings of his, maybe an Aussie establishment (too busy to research)? That might be more fruitful than searching for obscure LPs.

30 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Anybody?

It seems like a really interesting catalog?

I don't know any of these, but -- you're right -- lots of interesting looking stuff here.

A couple "world fusion" albums caught my eye: Okay Temiz's Drummer from Two Worlds and the Herbie Mann's Gagaku & Beyond.  Gonna check those out.

13 minutes ago, T.D. said:

Electroacoustic (Mimaroglu) seems like the main target. Didn't someone recently post a source for recordings of his, maybe an Aussie establishment (too busy to research)? That might be more fruitful than searching for obscure LPs.

It's the Creel Pone label, and it's a bootleg operation, albeit a loving one. I'll not throw stones here, if you know what I mean.

I think I'd like to hear Charles McCracken play Beethoven.

It was Mimaroğlu's label, but he's not the main focus of the catalog, at least not in terms of compositions presented. That really startled me, actually, becuase how I knew of it was just his stuff, so it came across as a vanity label of sorts (even if an Atlantic vanity label!). But looking through the entire catalog, there;s a LOT of things in there besides his own electronic/tape works.

I'm totally enjoying the Creel Pone collection of his own Finnadar records, that's what got me to wondering what else was on there. Quite a bit, as it turns out!

Jean DuBeffet's - Musical Experiences is an all-timer. I turned up a Finnadar OG at Half Price Books in an Irving, TX stripmall a few months back.

I also love this one, which can still be found for cheap https://www.discogs.com/release/2811317-Karen-Phillips-John-Cage-Luciano-Berio-Bruno-Maderna-David-Bedford-Viola-Today-Dream-Sequenza-VI-Vio

11 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Thanks to YouTube, I'm listening to this now:

NC0zODU4LmpwZWc.jpeg

features Minoru Muraoka on shakuhachi

So far, very strange and very cool.  So much cross-pollination and such a willingness to experiment in the 70s.  I love it.

I had a 1903(!) Gagaku record on my last BFT. The idiom is totally new to me, and more exploration is needed, for sure! If they still play it now like they did in 1903, it is a very soothing and welcome world, taken at a pace that might elude "Western" notions of time. I'm all in favor of that!

I'm definitely going to seek out the Donald Knaack recording of Marcel Duchamp's The Bride Stripped Bare By Her Bachelors, Even. Erratum Musical.

The George Flynn Kanal piano disc looks really interesting. The below-pictured Flynn set (supposedly a massive virtuosic finger-breaking extravaganza) was recommended to me, but I haven't yet  heard it:

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcmVzdG8tY292ZXItaW1hZ2Vz

Kanal is one of the 3 works on Trinity. Would be good to hear the composer play it.

Edited by T.D.

I just kinda went a little loopodilla on Discogs and bought 10 records that looked good to me and were within my price range. Unfortunately, a few have escalated in price to the point that I just can't go there. But still...

...here's hoping that

• Mimaroğlu* - Beaux Arts String Quartet & Janis Siegel - String Quartet No. 4 ("Like There's Tomorow")
  • Doris Hays - Henry Cowell, Morton Feldman, Ilhan Mimaroglu, Leo Ornstein, Russell Peck – Adoration Of The Clash
  • İdil Biret* – The Ravel & Stravinsky Album
  • Ludwig van Beethoven Beethoven Barber*, Charles McCracken, Lucy Greene – Cello Sonatas: Beethoven (No. 5, Op. 102/2) / Barber (Op. 6)
  • Doris Hays - Henry Cowell – The Piano Music Of Henry Cowell
  • Karen Phillips - John Cage / Luciano Berio / Bruno Maderna / David Bedford – Viola Today (Dream / Sequenza VI / Viola [Open & Closed-Form Versions] / Spillihpnerak)
  • Virgil Thomson, Arthur Tollefson – The Piano Music of Virgil Thomson
  • Various – Sleepers
  • Idil Biret - Pierre Boulez / Anton Webern – Piano Sonata No. 2 / Variations (Opus 27)
  • Herbie Mann – Gagaku & Beyond

What I really hate to miss is this one, if only (but not just) for the title:

Ny0zNTQyLmpwZWc.jpeg

8 hours ago, JSngry said:

So is this an album of Neil Heft charts? 

Perhaps the solo piano equivalent of overblown Neal Hefti charts. 😉

Pity you missed the Rzewski album, I'd like to hear that one.

The Doris Hays and Karen Phillips discs look outstanding. IIRC Morton Feldman wrote The Viola in my Life for Phillips.

Edited by T.D.

Teo Macero's 'Time Plus Seven' reflects his writing for large jazz and classical ensembles recorded in 1956 and 1963.  The 16-minute ballet suite, 'Time Plus Seven', (1963) makes its first appearance here, along with tracks previously issued on Columbia.*  It's adventurous and arresting with sounds which shouldn't clear your house -- heck, even my wife was curious and hung around. 

*one side from LP 'What's New', 1956 and one track from Orchestra USA, 'Sonorities', 1963.