Horace Silver Quintet Live New York, Revisited

romualdo

Just received a batch of the Hat Hut ezz-thetics Revisited CDs (via Tommy's Jazz & Squidco)

This live Horace S Quintet (64-66) is absolutely superb (including SQ) from a stellar period in his career. It's basically a compilation of live tracks that Horace released on the Emerald label (one LP & one CD), which was a subsidiary of Silveto. The whole of Emerald CD 1003 (Half Note) is replicated (sans the Alan Grant Intro) & two tracks (of 4) from the Emerald LP 1001 (Cork & Bib) making 80 minutes in toto.

For Joe Henderson fans it's a real bonus - standout track imho is The Tokyo Blues (Cork & Bib) running in at 15 minutes.

BTW the Emerald CD was rereleased on the 32 Jazz label, titled Re-Entry. Looks like the two Cork & Bib titles are on CD for the first time.

I’m irrationally offended by the orange-cover clearly not-licensed ‘reissues’ specifically of Blue Note studio material — from what I had always presumed was a legit label.

‘Incensed’ is clearly too strong a word, and would just be hyperbolic — but they do kinda piss me off whenever I see them on Dusty Groove website listings.

11 hours ago, bresna said:

When did Hat Art/ezz-thetics go full bootleg? This stuff isn't anywhere near PD in Switzerland and there's no mention of "licensed from" on the CD art:

Wow!! I always thought they were legit - have been buying their material (CDs) since the early 90s

the bootlegging probably relates to the Revisited series (11xx) - admittedly I have been perplexed by the Blue Note & OJC inclusions

https://www.discogs.com/label/171702-REVISITED

On 12/7/2022 at 7:16 AM, colinmce said:

It started out with some promise-- I did appreciate the Ayler series and the Fontana albums. But now he's just skimming from Blue Note and OJC, I can scarcely imagine anything more redundant. 

👍

The choice to reissue the classic Miles Davis Prestige titles is not just perplexing, but silly—especially when the Hat back catalog could be mined. That said, the live Ayler reissues were licensed from Desiree Ayler, so the label isn't full bootleg...yet.

The latest Paul Bley reissue (Trio Plays Annette Peacock) is of value, though it does appear to be a bootleg. Michael Brändli resuscitated the old Limelight LP ("Mr. Joy"), which sounded absolutely atrocious on vinyl. Now it's quite listenable. Verve was never going to do anything with this obscure record. Still...

Edited by Late

• 2 months later...
On 12/8/2022 at 2:10 PM, Eric said:

The CDs and/or their web site tout improved mastering, with little explanation.  Given their prior history, I am willing to be open minded, but this all seems a little sketchy.

I sent an email to Hat Hut a couple of months ago, asking whether these recordings were licenced. There was no reply.

I have learned that because these Ezz-thetics CDs are being issued in Switzerland, which is not part of EU, they fall into some sort of PD black hole. I thought that was only true for Andorra, but apparently not. So these may be PD in Switzerland unless someone can tell us otherwise. This will change quickly if Ezz-thetics decides to start releasing Beatles CDs. :)

I found this on the Downbeat site:

"Due to Switzerland’s public domain laws, material recorded prior to 1970 doesn’t require any licensing agreement, so Uehlinger, with the massive help of recording engineer Michael Brändli, has been releasing new packages of previously issued work from artists like Marion Brown, Archie Shepp, John Coltrane and Paul Bley, to say nothing of vintage Charlie Parker work."

https://downbeat.com/news/detail/ezz-thetics-reissues-60s-free-jazz-classics

As far as I can tell, the duration of so called "neighboring rights" in Switzerland is still 50 years, i.e. they have expired for anything recorded and/or released up to 1972.

4 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I found this on the Downbeat site:

"Due to Switzerland’s public domain laws, material recorded prior to 1970 doesn’t require any licensing agreement, so Uehlinger, with the massive help of recording engineer Michael Brändli, has been releasing new packages of previously issued work from artists like Marion Brown, Archie Shepp, John Coltrane and Paul Bley, to say nothing of vintage Charlie Parker work."

https://downbeat.com/news/detail/ezz-thetics-reissues-60s-free-jazz-classics

As far as I can tell, the duration of so called "neighboring rights" in Switzerland is still 50 years, i.e. they have expired for anything recorded and/or released up to 1972.

All someone has to do is start a label in Switzerland and release a bunch of Beatles or Rolling Stones LPs on "Switzerland PD" CDs and watch how quickly they change those rules. It's never a problem to screw with the "little guys"... not when you mess with the money.