Komeda Le Depart

Luciano

On 12/8/2022 at 4:20 PM, Luciano said:

Dear Listener

I am struggling with the formation of Le depart.
is there an orchestra playing in Le depart and in Marc et Michel without
the jazz musicians?
If so, who conducts it, Komeda?
Are komeda and Urtreger on the piano together?

I was at the recording of the jazz music of Le Depart back in 1967 in Paris. Komeda was taking care of the proceedings and not playing piano the day I attended. Rene Urtreger was the sole pianist behind Don Cherry, Gato Barbieri and others.

The booklet in the Harkit release lists the following.  Komeda does not receive a piano credit.

• Bass Guitar – Jean-François Jenny Clark
  • Drums – Jacques Thollot 
  • Guitar – Philip Catherine 
  • Piano – Eddy Louiss; René Urtreger
  • Saxophone – Gato Barbieri; Jacques Pelzer
  • Trombone – Luis Fuentes
  • Trumpet – Don Cherry 
  • Christiane Legrand - Vocal on one track

Other than the jazz musicians listed above, I hear strings on the vocal track, cellos on a couple of tracks, organ on one track.  At least two tunes include flute, but I don't know if that is one of the sax players doubling.  

Edited by Teasing the Korean

23 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

The booklet in the Harkit release lists the following.  Komeda does not receive a piano credit.

• Bass Guitar – Jean-François Jenny Clark
  • Drums – Jacques Thollot 
  • Guitar – Philip Catherine 
  • Piano – Eddy Louiss; René Urtreger
  • Saxophone – Gato Barbieri; Jacques Pelzer
  • Trombone – Luis Fuentes
  • Trumpet – Don Cherry 
  • Christiane Legrand - Vocal on one track

Other than the jazz musicians listed above, I hear strings on the vocal track, cellos on a couple of tracks, organ on one track.  At least two tunes include flute, but I don't know if that is one of the sax players doubling.  

Eddie Louss plays organ

On 12/11/2022 at 7:51 PM, Teasing the Korean said:

We may want to move this either to the Artists or Discography sub-forum.

Luciano, do you have the release on Harkit?  It lists the musicians.  I will re-listen to determine if there is an orchestra beyond the jazz musicians.

Thanks I have it

Teasing The Korean,

no,I havn't the Harkit records but Jazz In Plish Cinema Jazz On Film Records – JOF002

See at:

https://www.discogs.com/it/release/6667325-Various-Jazz-In-Polish-Cinema-Out-Of-The-Underground-1958-1967

Thanks For your intersting on my questio

On 12/12/2022 at 11:05 AM, brownie said:

I was at the recording of the jazz music of Le Depart back in 1967 in Paris. Komeda was taking care of the proceedings and not playing piano the day I attended. Rene Urtreger was the sole pianist behind Don Cherry, Gato Barbieri and others.

Many Thanks for the answer 

So the the recording's year date, for the soundtracks is: 1967  And for the movie: is it correct 1966?

22 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Thanks.  Does the version you have include dialog and sound effects?  The Harkit version has both dialog and sound effects, not on every track, but on some.

I will controll tomorrow (but if I remeber well, no, doesn't include dialogue it is the same version of the EP by philips M 437.376 BE. The dialogue are in Volcano CD.

So the the recording's year date, for the soundtracks is: 1967  And for the movie: is it correct 1966?

Thanks for the answer. So the correct date for the soundtrack is 1967. And for the move is it correct 1966

Thanks for the answer. So the correct date for the soundtrack is 1967. And for the move is it correct 1966

Dear Sir,

I'm not able  to "navigate" on organissimo, so I don't know you can see ma replay. Anway: The soundtrack was recorded in 1967. Is it correct? And the movie in Belgium 1966 . Is it correctP

I apologize for my bad English, I you you are able to undestand me. Greetings

Luciano

Luciano, the jazz session was recorded on April 10, 1967 at the studio Davout in Paris. The studio closed its doors  a while ago.

And welcome to this place. It is the best one to discuss jazz with a lot of participants who share an incredible knowledge on numerous related subjects.

• 4 months later...
On 12/14/2022 at 9:27 AM, brownie said:

Luciano, the jazz session was recorded on April 10, 1967 at the studio Davout in Paris. The studio closed its doors  a while ago.

And welcome to this place. It is the best one to discuss jazz with a lot of participants who share an incredible knowledge on numerous related subjects.

Brownie,
I hope you are well.
I have been discussing a lot over the past few weeks with a Don enthusiast friend about the date, location, and lineup of Le Depart.
I am sure you were present at the time of the recording at Davout Studio, so I took the information you released to me at face value.
My friend asks: how do you remember the exact day? (I think you may have a photo of the session with the date, as asl place I am sure it is indeed the Davout studio you wrote to me).
I, on the other hand, ask you: did they play all the tracks that were published in the Japanese edition: VOLCANO CPC8-1058?
Since I cannot perceive the sound of a trombone (except in one title: Un Vol De La Voiture), have you seen Fuentes playing in several tracks)
Forgive me for the annoyance I am causing you and trusting in your precise reply, I greet you dearly
Luciano