Reinventin' rhythm: another Bob Dylan book, or my coffee table is already full?

17 minutes ago, JSngry said:

We shall see. It's waaaay too bigass a book for a quick read.

But Mark Stryker gave it a glorious advance notice in these pages, and I trust Mark like that. 

I read some of the sample on Amazon, and the writing is solid.  Interestingly, the author's other two books are on Lou Reed and Patti Smith rather than on jazz musicians.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Oh. I thought you were soliciting advice on what to do with your coffee table. My bad about that 

Nevertheless, the advice and the rationale behind it still holds!

Or maybe you need a bigger coffee table? Some people do ya' know! 

Okay.  Agreed that my coffee table already includes a diverse stack.

Titles are: The Great Jazz Interviews (unread) was a Christmas gift; The Times Complete History of the World (unread) my grandson’s gift he left with us; What It’s Like to be a Bird (partially read) a gift; Wine for Normal People (wife’s) unread; Chasing Light (wife’s); Coronavirus Politics (academic insights including our daughter’s contribution)

So, precious few that I purchased. I suspect, in our sphere, the covers and visual appeal and sentimentality are the standards for coffee table deployment. So, I’m all about effect and not so given to Jesuit scholarship. Hence, I’m trying to gauge the readability of Mr. Dylan (my favorite LP, New Morning; my favorite song, Leopard Skin Pillbox Hat) — and to “turn a new page.” 

BTW:  never a big Sonny fan, however just yesterday bought a copy of “Sonny Meets Hawk!”  Quite a document by my strict musical tastes.

7 hours ago, felser said:

This is the one I put on my Christmas List rather than the other one.  Marcus is the best writer about Dylan IMO, and is a delight to read no matter what he is writing about:

Folk Music - by Greil Marcus

Looks quite intriguing.  Thanks for your suggestion.  

7 hours ago, jazzbo said:

To me Sonny and Bob are equally important artists, worthy of these sort of books.

But I don't have books on my coffee table and don't have an opinion on either.

So, it’s not a matter of either/or in a contest to pick a book about Jazz or a book about Modern Song, and not a matter of picking but of respecting both books’ possibilities?  Bravo!!

As a coffee table book the Dylan is pretty good.  Great pictures even if you aren't told who's in them.  There are photo credits for copyright reasons but no mention of subject matter.  I had no idea who  was with Little Richard and Eddie Cochran on the front cover, though I did recognize Billy Crystal's dad at the Commodore Record Shop on the back cover.

As to the content:  The title is misleading unless it uses "modern" in the sense of "mid-century modern", and it's usually  about records not songs.  The latest persona Robert Zimmerman has created for Bob Dylan is that of grumpy old man.  The book has been rightfully attacked for its misogyny but in fairness  its generally misanthropic. 

Most of the essays are in the 2nd person singular as if the reader were the main character in the song.  Usually (but not always) there  is an additional essay giving interesting  facts about the song, recording, or composers. (I suspect much of this is from Eddie Gorodetsky who gets a thanks at the beginning.)  Taken in small doses it can be fun and even funny but reading several entries at a sitting is an uncomfortable experience.  

9 hours ago, medjuck said:

As a coffee table book the Dylan is pretty good.  Great pictures even if you aren't told who's in them.  There are photo credits for copyright reasons but no mention of subject matter.  I had no idea who  was with Little Richard and Eddie Cochran on the front cover, though I did recognize Billy Crystal's dad at the Commodore Record Shop on the back cover.

As to the content:  The title is misleading unless it uses "modern" in the sense of "mid-century modern", and it's usually  about records not songs.  The latest persona Robert Zimmerman has created for Bob Dylan is that of grumpy old man.  The book has been rightfully attacked for its misogyny but in fairness  its generally misanthropic. 

Most of the essays are in the 2nd person singular as if the reader were the main character in the song.  Usually (but not always) there  is an additional essay giving interesting  facts about the song, recording, or composers. (I suspect much of this is from Eddie Gorodetsky who gets a thanks at the beginning.)  Taken in small doses it can be fun and even funny but reading several entries at a sitting is an uncomfortable experience.  

THANKS….for your helpful, first-hand reader’s response to my indecision re: the Dylan book’s purchasability. 
Your well-stated reply was focused and seemed to be fair (&balanced).
Therefore, I’m relieved of buyer’s remorse and, I’m also eager to get my post-holiday order on its way.          

Again, thanks!  JK

11 hours ago, medjuck said:

The cover pic had me stumped too as I was 1000% sure I have seen that pic before. I searched again and finally did locate it. It is in "Rockabilly - The Twang Heard Round The World" (by Greil Marcus, Peter Guralnick et al.). The girl is Alis Lesley ("the female Elvis"), an actual recording artist (and her name was real and NO nick imitating the King's name) but of course "a flash in the pan" compared to "the boy from Tupelo". 

Otherwise, no photo captions throughout the book? What were they thinking?? 🤨

Edited by Big Beat Steve