Mosaic JATP 1950s Box

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Stompin at the Savoy said:

I guess I'm weird but for me Oscar Peterson is a plus.  He can overdo it sometimes or even seem bombastic but every once in a while he'll play something and I'm left thinking holy crow that changes everything...

Personally, OP w/ Freddie Hubbard Pablo LP, “Face to Face,” is a good example.  

For those unsure about what's new, go to the Discography page of Mosaic's web listing and search for "previously unissued."

It's not as much new material as I'd hoped, but I still intend to buy. When I started listening to jazz as a teenager, it was the sophisticated thing to look down on JATP. I grew out of that. There are some fine sessions and great moments.

Here's one of the things I'm still confused about. I have this set. It overlaps conceptually and time-wise with the Mosaic set but I'm getting the sense that the Mosaic set doesn't just duplicate this. Am I wrong? I'm finding this so confusing....

https://www.allmusic.com/album/the-complete-norman-granz-jam-sessions-mw0000143380

4 minutes ago, tranemonk said:

Here's one of the things I'm still confused about. I have this set. It overlaps conceptually and time-wise with the Mosaic set but I'm getting the sense that the Mosaic set doesn't just duplicate this. Am I wrong? I'm finding this so confusing....

https://www.allmusic.com/album/the-complete-norman-granz-jam-sessions-mw0000143380

The Norman Granz Jam Sessions are studio dates. The New Mosaic set will contain live recordings. No duplication. 

11 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Last day of the preorder discount - just put my order in. Looking forward to this !

It’s got me to dig out my 40s box and get reacquainted. Long overdue.

Perhaps you nabbed the last set of the first pressing!  I attempted to order the set at the pre-order price this evening after I returned home from work, but I was unable to do so because it was identified as "Out of Stock".

I shot Mosaic Records an email through its website explaining what happened and requesting the opportunity to purchase the set at the pre-order price even if it meant waiting for a second pressing.  

Edited by Edward
spelling correction

1 hour ago, Edward said:

Perhaps you nabbed the last set of the first pressing!  I attempted to order the set at the pre-order price this evening after I returned home from work, but I was unable to do so because it was identified as "Out of Stock". 

I'd suggest that it may just be Mosiac's way of stopping the pre-orders before starting the regular price,

9 minutes ago, SwingItTrev said:

I'd suggest that it may just be Mosiac's way of stopping the pre-orders before starting the regular price,

Perhaps, but Mosaic's webpage for the set states: "Preorder sale price $149 thru Jan 11th"

I doubt very much that Mosaic Records intentionally cut off preorders hours before midnight on January 11th to boost its profits.

3 hours ago, Edward said:

I shot Mosaic Records an email through its website explaining what happened and requesting the opportunity to purchase the set at the pre-order price even if it meant waiting for a second pressing.  

Good grief !

Got an email saying that a set had been put on hold for me pending card payment completing, which I thought was a bit unusual, so you could be right.

From past experience, I don’t recall them ever stopping preorder prices before the end of the day at US time zones.

Edited by sidewinder

On 1/12/2023 at 8:14 AM, sidewinder said:

Good grief !

Got an email saying that a set had been put on hold for me pending card payment completing, which I thought was a bit unusual, so you could be right.

From past experience, I don’t recall them ever stopping preorder prices before the end of the day at US time zones.

Got an e-mail from Mosaic yesterday that the first run of their JATP set has sold out. They ordered a second run and expect new stock in 2-3 weeks, and have extended the date for the pre-order sale.

On 1/12/2023 at 4:52 AM, Edward said:

Mailing Mosaic through their website isn't the best way in my experience. I always contact Scott directly: scott@mosaicrecords.com

Edited by J.A.W.

5 hours ago, J.A.W. said:

Mailing Mosaic through their website isn't the best way in my experience. I always contact Scott directly: scott@mosaicrecords.com

I agree, but I wanted a record of contacting Mosaic about the problem before the pre-order period ended - I also took a couple of screenshots illustrating the problem.  Ultimately, though, I wasn't terribly concerned about Mosaic addressing the problem and "making things right".

The only question now is whether I should tack on the Tristano set to my pre-order of the JATP set.

I suspect we'll start seeing "about to ship" notices over the next two weeks, bit by bit. That was how it was with the last two sets. I ordered this set the first day it was offered for pre-order, as I have done the last half a dozen. None-the-less it took a week or two after persons started mentioning shipment notices for me to get one.

Received the below message this morning - anyone else get the same ?

Had to reorder due to cc expiry - hope I don't get charged for 2 sets

Thank you very much for the order. The sets are ready to ship and we proceeded to charge your credit card.

Unfortunately the charge window expired after 30 days and we are unable to charge your card. Entirely our fault and our sincere apologies.  For security purposes we are unable to enter your card data and charge.

Therefore we are leaving the preorder sale price on the site and request that you reenter your order.

https://www.mosaicrecords.com/product/classic-jazz-at-the-philharmonic-jam-sessions-1950-1957-mosaic-records/

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you very much for your support.

Regards,

Fred