Mosaic JATP 1950s Box

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Brad said:

They opened up the ordering around December 12th or so. December 13 is the date I ordered it. On Monday the 16th they told me the authorization had expired. So, in other words, a one month window. 

Yeah that's right.  I checked and I ordered it on the 13th.  So I guess they had a very tight window, delayed a few days and oops.

Well, I have listened through the box already and it is pretty incredible.   I was surprised at how little of this music I had previously.  It turns out that the vast majority of my previous JATP recordings from this period were unofficial and therefore not even included on this set.  

I think that Mosaic is under-selling this set a bit in its advertisements.  Most of this music is rare.  Nothing much of it was ever released on CD with the exception of the Krupa/Rich Drum Battle and the Opera House recordings of Hawkins/Eldridge, Getz/J.J. Johnson and Ella Fitzgerald (A track was actually omitted from the Hawkins/Eldridge CD for space reasons that is restored here). 

Hell, there is some Pres and Bean here that is previously unreleased in any form!  

I seem to recall that Larry Kart posted here that he was at the September 1957 concert at the Chicago Opera House that included Lester Young, Sonny Stitt, and Illinois Jacquet.   Interestingly, it would appear that the LP that was released as the "The JATP All-Stars At The Opera House" included music not from that concert but from a performance done one month later at the Shine in LA.   This set presents the known music from both concerts, including previously unreleased performances from Chicago.  

I am VERY SATISFIED with this set.  Bravo, Mosaic!

Edited by John L

Okay Fred responded that they have my order and it is possibly shipping today. I think that they are perhaps missing some of these PayPal orders thinking they are credit card orders that need to be re-ordered and are waiting to receive a re-order.

1 hour ago, thirdtry said:

Let us know what you hear back.

thirdtry, I would email Fred at info@mosiacrecords.com and mention that you have a PayPal order you have not received a shipping notice on. Yours too may have been overlooked.

Yes, I would have assumed that they would have a way to differentiate pre-paid and pending orders. After some patience depleted I've had to inquire about my last three or four orders in order to get some action, and I've been using PayPal for a number of years and think that is the reason for delay.

If you pay with PayPal I recommend following up after you hear of the commencement of shipping.

Mine just arrived!  The book is printed on unusually thick stock, making it massive.  Nice looking box. 

Today is really Mosaic day. I also received in the mail a used copy of the Grachan Moncur III select.  Plus I bid successfully on the June Christy Peggy Lee set. Yay!

p.s.: The paper stock is thicker than usual but it also turned out I had several duplicate leaves, not bound but just stuck loose in the book, hence my surprise when I first picked it up.   Recently I got an old Django book with missing leaves and now I got this one with extras. 

Edited by Stompin at the Savoy

Well that was my hope too. . . but I think if I hadn't nudged their attention it would still be in limbo with them awaiting my (totally unnecessary) re-order. I do think it would be wise to just email them a query about a shipping date and nudge them to look for your order.

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Yes, I would have assumed that they would have a way to differentiate pre-paid and pending orders. After some patience depleted I've had to inquire about my last three or four orders in order to get some action, and I've been using PayPal for a number of years and think that is the reason for delay.

If you pay with PayPal I recommend following up after you hear of the commencement of shipping.

An organized customer action would stop ALL preorders thru PayPal until they get their act together. Let's see how much they appreciate losing those interest-free loans!

33 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Why not?

I get that they like to get their money in the bank as early as possible and have it there as long as possible.

So do I!

I think it is simpler than crafty pecuniary motives.  You have here researchers, discographers, explorers of tape vaults, managers of a record release.  And they are great at that.  They are not that good at the sales end.