Mosaic JATP 1950s Box

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I received my set with no email or other notification Wednesday.  The only duplication for me was some Lester Young from Carnegie Blues.  I am finding much to like:  Hank Jones, Willie Smith, Benny Carter, J. J. Johnson, Buddy Defranco, Coleman Hawkins, Roy Eldridge, and Lester in various small group settings.  My impression after rolling though a bit of this set is there are a lot of drum solos and single note rides, but overall it is a very likeable collection.

Edited by Jim Duckworth
Buddy Defranco!

7 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Lester’s solo on “Ghost of a Chance” on disc 1 is a thing of beauty. Hearing new (to me) Prez was good enough reason alone to pick up this set.

I have always loved that first concert on the Mosaic box ever since I picked it up this LP when it came out in the 1970s.  I was waiting for decades for it to finally be released on CD.  

51TLgN9EA-L._SY1000_.jpg

1 hour ago, John L said:

I have always loved that first concert on the Mosaic box ever since I picked it up this LP when it came out in the 1970s.  I was waiting for decades for it to finally be released on CD.  

51TLgN9EA-L._SY1000_.jpg

I know that cover! Many years ago, I befriended a contributor to the rec.music.bluenote newsgroup (remember those?). He had a bunch of these JATP LPs that he wanted on CD. I agreed to needle drop some for him. He sent me the LPs and I created CDs for him. I wish I had kept copies of all that stuff but back then, I was probably over-sensitive about making copies of stuff that I didn't own and, well, being honest, I was so heavily into hard bop back then, this stuff wasn't on my radar. Oh, how times have changed. :)

Bob VanLangen was his name. I found some artwork files that I created for his CDrs and I called it the "Bob VanLangen Collection". :)

It looks like Bob left us in 2018: https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/heraldtribune/name/robert-vanlangen-obituary?id=10105011

I just realized that I thought he was a lot older than he actually was. I figured he was in his 70s or 80s back then. Now, I find out that he was the same age that I am now! :) :)

Edited by bresna

It looks like Bob was friends with others I have interacted with on-line over the years. There's this picture in his obit:

154747883.jpg

and credited in it is Larry Israel, Bob VanLangen, Peter Friedman, James Harrod, Ken Koenig, and George Ziskind. I know I've interacted with several of them on-line. Peter posts here and I think George Ziskind was a regular back on the old Jazz Corner forum.

Edited by bresna

I'm finally getting some time to listen to this box set. As I listen to Coleman Hawkins kicking off "Hawk's Tune" from disc 1, I'm hearing people yell "Body & Soul" and all I can think of is all the times we stupidly yelled "Free Bird" at every rock band we saw live throughout the 80s & 90s. :)

Edited by bresna

2 hours ago, bresna said:

Disc 4, track 1, "The Drum Solo", listed as (J), is not listed in the discographical info in the booklet or CD artwork. I guess we're supposed to assume that it's JC Heard on drums? Or is it Krupa?

That also puzzled me at first.  But if you look at the fine print in the discography, you will see the explanation.  It is apparently J.C. Heard's solo on The Challenges.  So the discography lists only the challenges.  I guess that they don't have a version that wasn't spliced by Norman Granz.  The other drum solo tracks are similar. 

2 hours ago, John L said:

That also puzzled me at first.  But if you look at the fine print in the discography, you will see the explanation.  It is apparently J.C. Heard's solo on The Challenges.  So the discography lists only the challenges.  I guess that they don't have a version that wasn't spliced by Norman Granz.  The other drum solo tracks are similar. 

But Krupa was at this concert and Krupa was kinda their "solo drum guy" wasn't he? His trio with Benny Carter and Oscar Peterson performs a set at the same show (listed as (M)) and both Heard & Krupa play on "Flying Home" (listed as (N)).

3 hours ago, medjuck said:

Mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Am I the only one who hasn't gotten their's yet? 

It must be something you said.

15 hours ago, John L said:

51TLgN9EA-L._SY1000_.jpg

Those records were produced by my friend Bob Porter. I remember him at a NAIRD convention, walking around with a Walk Man offering new Lester Young solos to anyone willing to put the headphones on.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

15 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Those records were produced by my friend Bob Porter. I remember him at a NAIRD convention, walking around with a Walk Man offering new Lester Young solos to anyone willing to put the headphones on.

My copy is on the way to me. Have the tracking Information from Scott via e-mail.

What Chuck Nessa reported above is  interesting and convinced by this segment from the reissue series 1983 from Polydor Classics, Inc. ---> see segment:

45143589hu.jpg

+ The Challenges VERVE 815 154 1 (= the blue cover below)

Have the following 4 Items in my stock but still looking forward to the Mosaic box even if there will be now some duplicates

45143588mv.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner

On 2/3/2023 at 4:34 PM, bresna said:

It looks like Bob was friends with others I have interacted with on-line over the years. There's this picture in his obit:

154747883.jpg

and credited in it is Larry Israel, Bob VanLangen, Peter Friedman, James Harrod, Ken Koenig, and George Ziskind. I know I've interacted with several of them on-line. Peter posts here and I think George Ziskind was a regular back on the old Jazz Corner forum.

Interesting foto. I was in touch with Bob VanLangen via e-mail  many years ago and we were both members in the West Coast Jazz forum.  Can remember he wrote me from Florida. We did also trade some cassette tapes.  He was a funny guy and very friendly. RIP Bob

On 2/3/2023 at 7:38 PM, medjuck said:

Mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Am I the only one who hasn't gotten their's yet? 

Nope. I also haven't received mine. Scott assured me in an email this past week mine would be shipped this week. My card hasn't been charged yet though. 

I don't know if I'm the only one, but I'm having some trouble getting the middle CDs off the hub. I was really worried that I was going to break CD 2 in half trying to get it free from that darn hub. After I got it off, I took an Exacto knife and shaved down the teeth that hold the CD in a death grip.

50 minutes ago, bresna said:

I don't know if I'm the only one, but I'm having some trouble getting the middle CDs off the hub. I was really worried that I was going to break CD 2 in half trying to get it free from that darn hub. After I got it off, I took an Exacto knife and shaved down the teeth that hold the CD in a death grip.

Common Mosaic problem. Sometimes you gotta hold your mouth right while standing on one leg under the correct moon phase to get these CDs out safely. 

1 hour ago, bresna said:

You’re not the only one.  I stuck my hand under the cd as far as it could go so it wouldn’t break. So far I’ve been lucky. 

47 minutes ago, miles65 said:

A few day ago I got confirmation for my order and my CC was charged. But no shipping confirmation yet.

It's probably already on its way; the last few times I have not received shipping notices and I either just got them or had to bug Fred a little and got them without shipping notices.