Mosaic JATP 1950s Box

6 hours ago, bresna said:

I don't know if I'm the only one, but I'm having some trouble getting the middle CDs off the hub. I was really worried that I was going to break CD 2 in half trying to get it free from that darn hub. After I got it off, I took an Exacto knife and shaved down the teeth that hold the CD in a death grip.

A couple were pretty tight on my set.  I think the key thing when they are very tight is not to pull up on one side only - that will snap the disk.  Pull up all around the disk and wiggle a bit raising left, right, top bottom slightly as you pull it out.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/4/2023 at 10:09 PM, jazzbo said:

I would contact them and be certain they aren't expecting you to re-order because of the credit card hold issue they had.

Thanks Lon. I had gotten caught up in the whole credit card hold issue and had reordered right away, but I took your advice and wrote them. I got a short note from Fred that it would be shipped "in a couple of days." Then I got a shipping notice the next day. Soooo, I should see the set before long. This rollout definitely has been a bit messier than usual.

Got mine today ... and somehow I'm sad. Looks like a used copy, five (of six) traycards are crumpled to some extent (one even torn, the small part that's visible from the back of the case is coming off, another has ugly dents from the tray being forced in without the paper in its proper place), two (of three) booklets have crushed corners because they were not properly put into the cases before they were closed ... and the cases themselves are all of the cheap replacement type, some falling open when you take them out.

I won't bother asking for replacements, but that's really not a quality job.

If I'd put it on Discogs now, unplayed, the art would have to be VG+

Happy to report all discs seem to be in there though (two were stored in wrong sequence) and the big booklet (heavy paper, a tad too heavy I'd say for the stapled "binding"?) has only minor dents and misses no pages ;) 

Edited by king ubu

23 minutes ago, king ubu said:

Got mine today ... and somehow I'm sad. Looks like a used copy, five (of six) traycards are crumpled to some extent (one even torn, the small part that's visible from the back of the case is coming off, another has ugly dents from the tray being forced in without the paper in its proper place), two (of three) booklets have crushed corners because they were not properly put into the cases before they were closed ... and the cases themselves are all of the cheap replacement type, some falling open when you take them out.

Happy to report all discs seem to be in there though (two were stored in wrong sequence) and the big booklet (heavy paper, a tad too heavy I'd say for the stapled "binding"?) has only minor dents and misses no pages ;) 

I had one case like that: the cd case was damaged, the tray card slightly damaged and the booklet crushed at the top. I contacted Mosaic and they will be sending replacements. From what Scott said this doesn’t look like an isolated problem so you should contact them. 

On 2/11/2023 at 11:29 PM, king ubu said:

Really astonishing! Got mine (a prepaid Item) last week in pristine shape.  Had also a tracking link from Scott. No complaints at all like in the past for all Mosaic boxes I had ordered over the years.

Mine finally arrived today. Looks fine (except that, bizarrely, the cover insert on the first set of cds was upside down!). With the exception of the three Opera House cds and part of the Hollywood Bowl concert, all previously issued, this will be new music for me, so I'm looking forward to exploring it.

Memory fails (it often does), but didn't we hear somewhere that Mosaic was going to issue all those 1957 Newport records in a set? Or was that just one of those ideas on the "they ought to do this" thread?

17 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Still no sign of mine yet. The tracking system Mosaic sent a link for doesn’t throw any light as to where it is either.

The combination of the US plus the UK mail system is the pits.

Now that I have posted this, no doubt it will arrive..

same here - my copy was apparantly shipped a week ago & the so called tracking number goes nowhere & is not recognised by all of the tracking systems/links I use (even the ones at the bottom of the Mosaic confirmation of shipping email). I contacted Mosaic & Fred's comments were

Hi Stephen,

The tracking # is correct and a note appears on the tracking:

Due to limited uplift capacity and flight cancellations, we are experiencing a disruption in service from the West Coast into Australia.

This is exactly the same initial note/outcome with my last two Asendia/Mosaic orders & each time I was given (after a few weeks) a newer different tracking number that actually worked. The response from Asendia (three times now) really sounds a bit suss IMHO

After a few days of digging this, I have to confess this just may be my all-time favorite Mosaic box set! I love the jams! Everyone is in top flight shape and they sound like they're having a blast tearing everything up left & right! I know YMMV but for me, I could groove to this stuff all day!

It just gets worse with each order (3rd with Asendia now)

Received this shipping notice (from Mosaic) on February 9

Your order #20957 has shipped via e-PAQ Plus. 
Recipient Address:
Stephen Platt
5 Cornish Place
ASPLEY, QLD 4034
AU
e-PAQ Plus Asendia Tracking #: 9FT6LNXDX2
Shipping label generated by

My tracking number has not given any results since then so after contacting Mosaic, Fred has contacted Asendia & this is what I've just got from them

Hello,

The package in question was processed on 02/20/23.

Kind Regards,
Charmaine Barfield

Customer Service Representative

Shipped on February 9 according to Mosaic but has only been processed on the 20th according to Asendia

WTF!!!!!

20 minutes ago, romualdo said:

It just gets worse with each order (3rd with Asendia now)

Received this shipping notice (from Mosaic) on February 9

Your order #20957 has shipped via e-PAQ Plus. 
Recipient Address:
Stephen Platt
5 Cornish Place
ASPLEY, QLD 4034
AU
e-PAQ Plus Asendia Tracking #: 9FT6LNXDX2
Shipping label generated by

My tracking number has not given any results since then so after contacting Mosaic, Fred has contacted Asendia & this is what I've just got from them

Hello,

The package in question was processed on 02/20/23.

Kind Regards,
Charmaine Barfield

Customer Service Representative

Shipped on February 9 according to Mosaic but has only been processed on the 20th according to Asendia

WTF!!!!!

Nothing received here yet either and the tracking system shows no progress. I’ve just emailed Mosaic.

Not impressed !

The booklet discusses Granz's late adaptation of stereo.  Bones Howe, who engineered many of the Granz studio sessions, told me that he was so pissed at Granz's recalcitrance that he  personally paid to make stereo tapes at some sessions.  I asked if he still had them, but he said he'd later sold them all to Granz. 

2 hours ago, medjuck said:

The booklet discusses Granz's late adaptation of stereo.  Bones Howe, who engineered many of the Granz studio sessions, told me that he was so pissed at Granz's recalcitrance that he  personally paid to make stereo tapes at some sessions.  I asked if he still had them, but he said he'd later sold them all to Granz. 

In the early '70s when Pablo was introduced, one of his minions told me "Norman wanted to call the label Mono".

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone else had any problems with skipping at the beginning of their discs? I've tried them on different players with the same result. Thankfully, they transferred to digital without skips. Just wanted to know before I reach out to Mosaic about this.

12 hours ago, Big Al said:

Has anyone else had any problems with skipping at the beginning of their discs? I've tried them on different players with the same result. Thankfully, they transferred to digital without skips. Just wanted to know before I reach out to Mosaic about this.

Only played about half of the discs but no problems here.

On 3/20/2023 at 12:38 PM, Big Al said:

have played the box twice now & no issues you describe BUT some of those discs are (again) tricky to remove without snapping them, especially the "inside" ones