New Albert Ayler on HatHut Ezz-Thetics - Lost Performances 1966 Revisted

unitstructures

Interesting indeed.   The label "revisited" would seem to imply that this material has been released before.  There is something from Rotterdam on the Holy Ghost Box, although with somewhat different track listings.  But I have never seen anything from Munich or Helsinki from 1966 released before.  Has anyone?

Edited by John L

Here's what Lord lists from that late 1966 European tour:

[A7487]Your CollectionAdd
The Berlin Concerts 1966 : Albert Ayler Quintet : Donald Ayler (tp) Albert Ayler (ts) Michel Samson (vln) Bill Folwell (b) Beaver Harris (d)
  Live Berlin Jazz Festival, Berlin, Germany, November 3, 1966
  Ghosts Relyable (It)001, Philology (It)W88
  Bells         -                  -
  Jesus         -                  - *
  Omega (1)         -                  -
  Our prayer         -
  Alpha         -
  A.C.         -
Note: (1) This title announced as "Our prayer".
(*) This may be the source of "Truth is marching in" on Philology (It)W88.
[A7488]Your CollectionAdd
  Berlin, Germany, November 3, 1966
  (Medley :) Revenant 213 [CD]
  Ghosts         -
  Bells         -
  Truth is marching in         -
  Omega         -
  Our prayer         -
Note: All above titles also on Hatology (Swi)717 [CD] titled "Stockholm, Berlin 1966"; see November 10, 1966 for rest of CD.
[A7489]Your CollectionAdd
  Live concert, Lorrach, Germany, November 7, 1966
  Bells Hat Musics (Swi)3500, Hat Art (Swi)CD6039 [CD]
  Jesus [Prophet]           -                  -
  Spirits [Ghosts] (1)           -                  -
  Our prayer - Spirits rejoice           -                  -
  Holy ghost [The truth is marching in] (2)           -                  -
Note: (1) The tune played is "Ghosts" (Debut DEB144, ESP 1002).
(2) The tune played is "The truth is marching in" (Impulse A(S)9155).
Hat Art (Swi)CD6039 [CD] titled "Lorrach/Paris 1966".
All above titles also on Hat Art (Swi)2009, Jazz Galore (It)1002 (titled "Jesus").
All above titles also on hatOLOGY (Swi)573 [CD] titled "Lorrach, Paris 1966".
[A7490]Your CollectionAdd
  Live, Rotterdam, The Netherlands, November 8, 1966
  Truth is marching in Revenant 213 [CD]
  Bells         -
  Spirits rejoice         -
  Free spiritual music part IV         -
[A7490.10]Full musician list Your CollectionAdd
same pers.
  Live, Stockholm, Sweden, November 10, 1966
  Truth is marching in Hatology (Swi)717 [CD]
  Omega (is the alpha)         -
  (Medley :)         -
  Our prayer         -
  Bells         -
  (Medley :)         -
  Infinite spirit         -
  Japan         -
[A7491]Your CollectionAdd
  Copenhagen, Denmark, November 11, 1966
  Interview Revenant 213 [CD]
[A7492]Full musician list Your CollectionAdd
same pers
  Live "Salle Pleyel", Paris, France, November 13, 1966
  Ghosts (1) Hat Musics (Swi)3500, Hat Art (Swi)CD6039 [CD]
  Ghosts [Spiritual rebirth-Light in darkness-Infinite spirit] (2)           -                  -
  Holy family [All-Our prayer-Holy family] (3)           -                  -
Note: (1) As "Ghost (1st variation)" on LP.
(2) The tunes played are "Japan"/"Our prayer"/"Holy Family".
(3) The tune played is "not" "Holy family" (ESP 1020).
Hat Musics (Swi)3500 consists of a 12" LP (Lorrach concert) and a 12" EP (Paris concert).
(1) This title also on I Giganti del Jazz (It)GJ6(ed).
All above titles also on Hat Art (Swi)2009, hatOLOGY (Swi)573 [CD].

15 hours ago, John L said:

Interesting indeed.   The label "revisited" would seem to imply that this material has been released before.?

"Revisited" does not mean that it was available before. It rather means that the music is of historical importance and therefore should be revisisted. Not my five pence but from Mr. Uehlinger himself when we had a telephone call this early summer.

16 hours ago, John L said:

The label "revisited" would seem to imply that this material has been released before.

49 minutes ago, Onxidlib said:

"Revisited" does not mean that it was available before. It rather means that the music is of historical importance and therefore should be revisisted. Not my five pence but from Mr. Uehlinger himself when we had a telephone call this early summer.

Swiss concept of English played a role as well, I guess.

Did Mr. Uehlinger mention if he plans to release more European radio broadcasts (like Giuffre and Coltrane Graz recordings)?   

3 hours ago, Д.Д. said:

Did Mr. Uehlinger mention if he plans to release more European radio broadcasts (like Giuffre and Coltrane Graz recordings)?   

The complete Graz recording has already been released on 2 CDs - Impressions and My Favorite Things.   Hat Hut was able to access for the first time professional radio recordings of the concert, which is a huge upgrade from the audience tape that had been bootlegged previously.   

8 hours ago, John L said:

The complete Graz recording has already been released on 2 CDs - Impressions and My Favorite Things.   Hat Hut was able to access for the first time professional radio recordings of the concert, which is a huge upgrade from the audience tape that had been bootlegged previously.   

Yes, I am aware of this, this is why I was wondering about other European broadcast recordings Mr. Uehlinger might consider for release. 

On 12/16/2022 at 11:22 AM, Д.Д. said:

No - he did not mention any specific musicians / titles at all. Only those musicians / CDs which were already available back then and only when I've asked him a specific question. I talked to him as a seller of vinyl in the first place. And after finishing business I requested some informations. He was friendly, open minded and glad that I enjoyed some of his ezz-thetics releases (f.e. Jimmy Giuffre in Graz...). But as he seemed busy (and I was busy) we did talk only for a few minutes.

1 hour ago, Onxidlib said:

No - he did not mention any specific musicians / titles at all. Only those musicians / CDs which were already available back then and only when I've asked him a specific question. I talked to him as a seller of vinyl in the first place. And after finishing business I requested some informations. He was friendly, open minded and glad that I enjoyed some of his ezz-thetics releases (f.e. Jimmy Giuffre in Graz...). But as he seemed busy (and I was busy) we did talk only for a few minutes.

Thank you. 

On 12/26/2022 at 10:08 PM, Late said:

Anyone here heard the Helsinki tracks before?

Yes I've heard it several times - and I do enjoy it and shall buy me the CD.

On 12/27/2022 at 1:46 AM, John L said:

Or the Munich tracks?

I have the short video from the WDR which I've watched twice. Glad it will be released on CD. But wether the tracks are really from Munich... I'm not convinced. Munich never was a hotbed for advanced music. Maybe in the 1960s up to the beginning of the 70s it was better. And since a decade or a bit more there are two non-profit organisations which do help a lot. Main reason for my doubts is that the alleged Munich recording's description is coming with "... SWF Television Studio .... And SWF is the older acronym for the south-west radio station which goes as SWR since 1998/99. And the SWF would have been a much more likely broadcast station for such music. Not at least we had Joachim-Ernst Berendt there in Germany's south-west promoting the music called Jazz.

Edited by Onxidlib
typo + grammar

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2022 at 4:06 AM, John L said:

Interesting indeed.   The label "revisited" would seem to imply that this material has been released before.  There is something from Rotterdam on the Holy Ghost Box, although with somewhat different track listings.  But I have never seen anything from Munich or Helsinki from 1966 released before.  Has anyone?

I had never heard of the '66 Helsinki Recordings - I managed to get the Ayler Rarities tracks from UBU a few years back - contained any previously unreleased material (in the Ayler "Tree") up till (IIRC) the Revenant Box (that removed many of the previously unreleased tracks) - as of 2022 all that was left in the can was the Copenhagen concert (Nov 11, 1966) & a single Burton Greene live Slugs track that may not have even included AA. No mention of Helsinki.

8 minutes ago, romualdo said:

... as of 2022, all that was left in the can was the Copenhagen concert (Nov 11, 1966) ... No mention of Helsinki.

That Copenhagen concert is quite good—but it would benefit from some digital cleaning up. Having now listened to the full Helsinki concert on Bandcamp, I have to say that it's even more exciting. I'm a little surprised that this "lost recordings" disc doesn't include the Copenhagen concert.

It's nice when "ezz-thetics" can release material that isn't on the Revenant box—and apparently in cooperation of Desiree Ayler. I wonder if she's sitting on other tapes, or is just approving material for release. 

• 2 weeks later...